Need new workout! Help! :)

Options
Hi everyone! I am in search of something new! I am a dancer and a Zumba instructor and I need to add something more to my workout. I do light weights a few times a week but dancing takes up most of my time. It's hard to take other classes because I am teaching at the same time they are going on. I get an awesome workout but Zumba choreography can be very repetitious. I burn up to 1200 calories a class but because I am doing the same movements in the same way every time, I hit a plateau. I have switched songs around, add new songs, I do different playlists but I need my students to feel comfortable so we are looking at the same workout 3 times a week for about 5 or 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a woman with little time and hates the gym?

I'm 5'6 and approx. 203lbs. (need to lose another 50lbs!)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    learn compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, chin ups, over head press, etc...

oh and learn to love the gym...if you hate the gym, you are not going to get to where you want to be ..
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank you. I do most of these already with light weights. I am looking for a fun class or a different program. I need something fun to keep my interest; not everyone can enjoy the gym but that doesn't mean we don't want to exercise. I'd rather be outside or in a class atmosphere. I've been doing this long enough to know that I excel this way. I just want to be healthy and lose the weight, add more muscle tone.

I have read a few more threads and have seen some things that might interest me...but looking for any suggestions.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My Zumba instructors add a lot of squats, kickboxing type kicks and even some push-ups into the routines so I don't feel guilty not getting to a strength class each week.
  • dancer1178
    Options
    We def do a lot of kicks and squats in my choreography. The pushups might be something I have to try to incorporate! I just do a lot of dancing, I LOVE to dance, just not sure what else I can do to up my game. .
  • KatieEstle
    Options
    can you squeeze in a bodypump style class? I think adding more weights could help... or if a class is a no-go then hit the free weights area of the gym! :) I also love kickbox/body combat style classes but i think you are getting in plenty of cardio with the Zumba so weights are gonna be the way to go.
  • dancer1178
    Options
    I've never done bodypump...is that a class with weights? I love the class atmosphere so if I can find a class that fits my schedule I'm in! lol. It's definitely more weights I need...I burn a ridiculous amount of calories with Zumba and my dance classes. It also seems I'm not eating enough on the days I work out, but it's so hard to eat so much! Thank you!!!