Shopped in a Plus Sized store..... AND LOVED IT (long)

Options
micqs
micqs Posts: 186 Member
I just wanted to share this because I am excited about the dress I bought and my experience. I have a bachelorette party this weekend I am attending. I have no nice going out dresses so naturally I had to go buy one. I have one nice dress and I bought it too small as motivation to lose weight. I still cannot fit in it so no luck there. So I went to the mall after work today in hopes of finding a cute dress. I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING with a passion. So I was dreading it. I started at one end of the mall and worked my way around. Walked into pricey shops only to be looked at strangely when I asked about a cute dress for a bachelorette party. I have nothing about skinny women except ones that work in clothing stores. They dont understand what I want nor care to listen. Sorry if youre a skinny woman who works in a clothing store just all bad experiences here. I tried on about 15 dresses in several different stores. I went to Delias and the sales person there wasnt listening to what I was looking for. She was just shoving dresses my way that she thought was cute. I didnt like any of the dresses she gave me because they accentuated my mid section which I did not want obviously. Thats just how it was in all of the stores. The last store I came to was Torrid Plus Sizes. I was leary about it because it was plus size. I dont want to label my size. I walk in and I am pretty sure I look miserable. My eyes are darting around and scanning for dresses. An associate comes up to me and asks me what I am looking for. I throw out the negatives and tell her what I want and I can tell I am being difficult and I feel sorry. But the associate kept on going and didnt give up helping me. She asked me how I felt about patterns and etc. She was picking out dresses for me and bypassing the princessy frilly crap. We picked out four dresses. I thought they all looked nice on me but there was one I loved. It was the one that I was most uncertain about trying. It was one of those body forming strapless dresses. BUT the associate told me that I must try all of the dresses on because one can be pretty surprised. So I tried it on last. I LOVED it. My midsection wasnt accentuated etc. I could still see it but it wasnt awful. She suggested if I was still iffy about it, I could try spankies. So I tried it on with a pair of spankies. Oh my word! It looked wonderful! I bought it. I love it. I was so appreciative of the sales associate. She was a godsend. I love the dress that I bought. I never wouldve picked it up without her help. It is a form fitting dress. Clings to the body! Beautiful and I look great in it!

Thanks for reading! I was just excited!

Replies

• berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    That's great!! I'm so happy you were able to find something that picked up your confidence in yourself! I know some people say it's silly, fickle, or materialistic to be so excited and perhaps "dependant" on clothes, but it really can change your mood and perception about yourself!

Sounds like the sales associate is such a sweetheart! Having worked in retail, and just experiencing it (I admit, I love shopping...) the workers can make or break your experience. The worst is the way one can be judged instantly upon entering a store, although I know not everyone is like that.

Did you get her name? Maybe in the future you'll go back to the store :)

Thanks for sharing!!
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Boy do we sound like sisters!!!! I too, **HATE** shopping. And I like the plus sized stores, I feel at home there. Until recently when I was told by a sales associate that they have a regular sized clothing store further down in the mall. I was sort of put off by her attitude. However, I pressed on. And a size 14W fits me way better than a regular 14. Glad you found a dress that you like and clearly helps you feel pretty. Way to go girl!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yay! I don't particularly like shopping. So, I also feel really happy when I find things that I really like a lot!

That sounds like a great dress!!! Have fun!
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You have to show us the picture now!!!!!! I like happy ending dress shop stories...hope I can find a nice dress someday. :o)
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    No one will ever know that feeling unless you've been there. When you're a little heavy its tough to find something you're truly comfortable in. I've gotten a few things at Torrids too and the staff really does work with you. Happy for your find!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Listening is not a skill that everyone possesses, so I understand.

I am SOOOO happy that you found something that you like and will look good in!!!
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! You should return to the store, ask for the manager, and put in a good word for the sales associate who helped you. Funny how such a thing can either make or break your day!
  • Guardilestelle
    Guardilestelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love Torrid! They have great clothes and the staff always helps me find stuff that looks great. It always make me feel so confident and beautiful.
  • MargoWhiteWalton
    MargoWhiteWalton Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a chain of stores around me called Dress Barn and the thing I love about it is that one side of the store is normal size and the other is plus size. Their styles are fabulous and I always find something no matter what size I am.
  • micqs
    Options
    You have to show us the picture now!!!!!! I like happy ending dress shop stories...hope I can find a nice dress someday. :o)

I have to figure this out!
  • micqs
    Options

9074448743_6042c10d5e.jpg
    Untitled by Micq.Smith, on Flickr
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options

9074448743_6042c10d5e.jpg
    Untitled by Micq.Smith, on Flickr

Yay for someone actually LISTENING to you! You look FANTASTIC!!!
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like you obviously found the right dress for you and you look fab in it! :happy:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You're right...stunning on you! Thanks for posting the picture since you sure made us "curious"!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Torrid, I've been to a few different locations and the sales girls are so nice and helpful. When I lost weight the first time, in college, I was actually sad when I couldn't shop there anymore. That dress looks amazing on you!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    GREAT dress! You look amazing, and I can tell you feel great!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    :) This is such a wonderful story! I'm so glad you found a nice saleswoman and a dress that you absolutely LOVE! :) I hope you enjoy the party!
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always felt the sales associates at plus size stores are way nicer. I always felt like it was because they understand where I'm coming from. Now that I'm just barely out of plus sizes, I walk into normal stores and for the most part I'm ignored completely. I can walk in and out without any sales associates saying one word to me.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Holy moly, you look absolutely stunning! Kudos to that sales associate for listening, and to you for branching out and trying something new. It sure had a good outcome :happy: Have fun at the party this weekend!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!