Bench Press Stall

Options
So, I've been stuck on the same weight increments for about 4 weeks now, and I just can't seem to hit that last rep on 155 for the 3rd set.

Any advice or suggestions about how to approach this stall in progress? I wouldn't generally mind, but it's slowing the progress of my incline/decline presses and has thrown me for a bit of a loop.

I'm looking for as many opinions as possible, so advise away if you please.

Replies

• dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Dial back your training weight 10% and start there. 155 x 10% = 15.5 155 - 15 = 140. Work back up to it. Good luck!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Try doing a dealod week where you use 50-60% of the weight you normally use. Work on technique and watch a few youtube videos on proper benching. Just a few adjustments can make a huge difference. How often are you benching?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Try doing a dealod week where you use 50-60% of the weight you normally use. Work on technique and watch a few youtube videos on proper benching. Just a few adjustments can make a huge difference. How often are you benching?

This, and possibly add one or two tricep exercises in the form of Dips or DB Bench Press, Pressdowns, or Decline DB Extensions for 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps. Probably only need to do it every-other bench session for now. Sure SL5x5 doesn't indicate the use of accessory movements but bottom line is most people really do need some accessory work to bring up supporting muscle groups.
  • skasis_paradigm
    Options
    I bench once week on chest days. Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate all the suggestions.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    switch programs - try Wendler"s 5/3/1 and EAT!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I bench once week on chest days. Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate all the suggestions.

My bad... I just assumed you were on SL5x5 for some reason. What are you actually doing for bench press work? Knowing that would help a lot. Once a week but what's your exercise selections and reps/sets look like?
  • skasis_paradigm
    Options
    I do

Flat Bench Press - 3 Sets 12-10-8
    Incline DB Press - 3 Sets 12-10-8
    Decline DB Press - 3 Sets 12-10-8

I'm on the first phase of an intermediate routine having freshly come off circuit a little over a month and a half ago.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    are you eating at a surplus of calories? I wouldn't expect it to go up if not, although still possible, And there's nothing wrong with benching twice per week if your goal is to increase your numbers. Looking into programs such as 5/3/1 is a good idea also
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    eat more, sleep more. the deload week is great advice too.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    eat more sleep more stretch alot more and taper yourself for a week, 50-70% weight you usually do, then the next week you'll blow it out. And go....
  • skasis_paradigm
    Options
    I'm going to be giving the advice a go and I'll see if a change is on the horizon after doing so.

Thank you for the help guys, I truly appreciate the insight you've given me.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Try changing programs were you hit each body part at least 2xper week. If you have been training less than a year I would suggest Allpros beginners or Icecreamfitness 5x5 for beginners. Here is the 5x5 program for beginners. Jason Blaha who runs the icecream fitness channel has many good videos on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Go for 5 heavy negative reps after each exercise. You'll need a spotter of course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    at your level I'd deload 10% and continue. You want to milk the noob gains as long as possible. I'd also be benching more than 1x a week. Just like anything, practice makes perfect.

It would help to mention where you are failing also for specific assistance exercises. Typically tricep assistance work and a whole heap of upper back work is a good start.
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    All I can think is consider your form, can it improve? And like someone else said: eat!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    at your level I'd deload 10% and continue. You want to milk the noob gains as long as possible. I'd also be benching more than 1x a week. Just like anything, practice makes perfect.

It would help to mention where you are failing also for specific assistance exercises. Typically tricep assistance work and a whole heap of upper back work is a good start.

I agree with this. And if this doesn't help, I would go with heavier weights and lower reps for a few weeks with a few accessory exercises to help.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd switch up your flat and incline BP, one with DB and the other with the bar. I currently do DB flat benching and barbell incline benching, but I've personally found it valuable to reverse them in the past. I see alot of other good suggestions here too.