Hello my name is Stacy and i eat lard.

Options
tacey21
tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
I am having a very tough time keeping under my fat limits.

Eggs. Almonds. Dairy. And all those stupid low cal diet foods that I bought and only looked at the calories and not at the fat content.

But all of the health magazines said to eat eggs and almonds and portioned cheeses and avocados -- all in moderation. I'm so confused! Is there really such a thing as a "good fat"? or should I be avoiding them all together?

Replies

• DancingDreamer
    Options
    YES! Avocados are VERY good fats and yes you do need some fats thats why you get a fat allowance! but maybe you're not eating them in moderation, which you should. like only eat a fourth of an avocado (thats how i do it) and use olive oil when you cook (another good fat) and maybe cut down on the dairy a teensie bit. and ALL nut fats are good. almonds, peanuts, walnuts, etc. if you go a little over your fat allowance because the majority of your fats are these good kinds...dont worry so much. you can always slowly cut back on them as time goes on.
  • DoreenN
    DoreenN Posts: 60
    Options
    there is absolutly such thing as good fat and eggs and nuts are 2 of those foods. Eggs are an excellent source of protein. What I like to do for breakfast is use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites to make an omelette. I love snacking on almonds as well. Keep eating those foods!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Can't avoid them completely but I watch both calories and fat content in the foods I buy. Almonds and nuts in general have healthy fat but you have to eat them in moderation. As for dairy, try skim milk or the low fat products. I hardly ever eat cheese anymore because even the low fat ones are fairly high in fat. My challenge is getting enough calcium because of the fat content. I was just talking with a friend who is on weight watchers and they have to take 2 T a day of good fat (olive or canola oil or anything but vegetable oil basically I guess) raw. Your body does need fat to function properly so you can't cut it out completely. Good luck!
  • tacey21
    Options
    Everything I eat is measured. Poo.
    Maybe I'll try a whole egg and adding egg whites to that... and maybe giving up my cheese :(
    And reading nutrition labels better.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    There is such a thing as good fat, imo. Nuts and avocados are exceptional for you! Think about getting your fat from sources like that.

Think low-fat to non-fat cheese. Now, if there is a no-fat or low-fat option I ALWAYS buy that. I now drink skim milk. This took me a while to get used to, but I don't miss the difference anymore.

Eggs: I always went over because of them. The solution: use only the whites not the yolks. ALL the fat in eggs is located in the yolk.

We (my fiance is doing this with me) NEVER buy low cal diet foods. I read EVERY SINGLE item's nutritional info trying to take into account all pros and cons for each item. I confess the first two times I did this my shopping trip was easily twice the normal length of time it should be, but now its back to normal. I know what to look for. :-)

Its all trial and error. GOOD LUCK!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Everything I eat is measured. Poo.
    Maybe I'll try a whole egg and adding egg whites to that... and maybe giving up my cheese :(
    And reading nutrition labels better.

You don't have to give up cheese. I eat a cheese stick just about everyday and a laughing cow a few times a week. Sometimes I'll have a slice of cheddar but that's not very often.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yes! eat good fats! I try to eat some good fat everyday, avocado, olive oil, almonds, all the things you listed. Fat has been under fire (with good reason) but the bad, trans saturated fats are the ones to avoid. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I think lard would be considered bad fat:sick: :devil:
  • stringcheeze
    Options

But man oh man, does it make awesome pie crusts. :cry:

What everyone else said is true...you NEED fat in your diet (its a requirement for proper brain function!). The choice is what fats are good for you.

Besides reading labels, compare brands. What might be good in one is false advertising in another.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    also, have you adjusted your protein/carb/fat ratios? You can do this under goals/customize...some people like 50/25/25, 40/30/30, it just varies as to your preference and what works for your body.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ok, research this and don't take my word for it. My "hard to lose" last pounds on my stomach are starting to shrink at long last after plateauing, and it is since I did changd one thing... I now use organic non-hydrogenated coconut oil for all of my cooking, such as stirfries etc (rather than processed oils). Coconut oil is a fat, but a "good fat" and without gettting too much into "long chain" v "medium chain" fats etc., it converts quickly to energy rather than being stored.

Now, I take responsibility for the consequences of my own crazy experiments (well, lots of others have actually done this stuff before me)... so do your own research, particularly if you suffer from hypertension, but what I also now do is dissolve a blob of coconut oil into my protein drink before training. Some say simply swallow it raw, but I find the gag thing a bit tricky. I experience a couple of things. More strength and energy when I train. And the so called "burn" is VERY pronounced. Like doing a very slow drop-set of shoulder presses, the build up of heat in those muscles is very very pronounced. It is the increase in my metabolic rate when training.

Quite quickly my stomach is flattening (relative to what had been driving me buts looking at it). My weight has dropped a kilo or two of those very hard to lose last pounds.

Again, don't do something that is not right for you. I tend to try things cautiously and after checking out a variety of opinions. But certain fats are like raw energy and will actually help you burn stored fat. In the context of a healthy diet and good training!!!

The dangers of high cholesterol levels and too much fat are in the context of diets that have become alarmingly based on processed carbs, added sugar levels sometimes in the hundreds of grams a day, and sometimes 50% of daily calories derived from fats. That's where Western diets have gone, and alarm is warranted. Many boxed breakfast cereals have as much sugar as similar quantities of cocoa cola!!!!

But with a healthy diet our bodies actually need certain levels of both fat and cholesterol. Of the right kinds, and at sensible levels.
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    You had me at I eat lard thcoffee.gif
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    You had me at I eat lard thcoffee.gif
    ROFL me too, but I never saw it beyond the topic line, hey bate and switch? LOL ya got me in though:tongue:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I actually do eat lard/animal fat. And butter. And coconut oil. And olive oil. And avocado oil. And I eat fatty fish. Our bodies require fatty acids - they are one nutrient that we cannot produce. We need to eat them. Fats provide CLA and ALA. They're beneficial for our brain. They assist in the the digestion and retention of vitamins and minerals in the intestinal tract.

AND...eating them does not automatically make us fat.

However, there are some bad (read: unnatural) sources of fat that I do stay away from: Vegetable oil. Corn oil. Canola oil. Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. They're inflammatory, high in Omega 6 (which we get entirely too much of in our modern diets), and highly processed.
  • tacey21
    Options

I dont actually eat lard. For the record.
    Uggh. Planning my trip to Aldi's for eggwhites and... snacks. And spinach. Any good nonfat nibbly ideas? This time I'm taking my WW points calcuator with me >.o sneaky food *kitten*.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I dont actually eat lard. For the record.
    Uggh. Planning my trip to Aldi's for eggwhites and... snacks. And spinach. Any good nonfat nibbly ideas? This time I'm taking my WW points calcuator with me >.o sneaky food *kitten*.
    :laugh: I loved the subject line it made me peek inside because you were so clever in posting it that way Hon:tongue: I wasn't really thinking you were hiding in the corner with a giant spoon eating a bucket of lard like some of us used to eat icecream. LOL Plus my response was a bit tongue in cheek as well:wink::smokin:

Well seeing you wrote this on Friday you may have already gone to Aldi's but raw nuts, dried fruit (raisins etc), hummus, veggies that you can cut up and munch on, cheese you can cut in cubes and eat with apples or other fruits. Hm, certain low sugar cereals can be a great toss in a glove box/gym bag on the go type of snack. I like to combo my carb with protein so I do a serving of raw almonds (24 almonds/1/4 raisins) and a serving of raisins in a snack bag and shake shake shake. Tasty, because you've got some crunchy, and sweet and it's healthy for you but not sweet like pushing you to edge toward a binge.

Make sense? lol Course I've never been one to binge on raisins. :laugh: :laugh: Have fun, and share what goodies you combo together and find at Aldi's. We don't have one here and I have no clue what they are like except mind pictures you all share on here.:wink::flowerforyou:

Hey good luck with that lard withdrawel:smokin: I hear there are meetings.... LOLOL