Stevia?

Options
Does stevia hinder weight loss?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    No. Stevia is just the sweet extract of a leaf.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've been using it and still losing weight.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Why would you think so? I've used stevia throughout my weight loss. One of the better alternatives to a artificial sweeteners .
  • lb628
    lb628 Posts: 75
    Options
    Why would you think so? I've used stevia throughout my weight loss. One of the better alternatives to a artificial sweeteners .

Because I've been at a calorie deficit for a while, and I can't figure out what keeps making me binge and gain. I have close to 15 packets a day of stevia and I also have splenda sometimes. I know I need to cut something, but don't know what
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Because I've been at a calorie deficit for a while, and I can't figure out what keeps making me binge and gain. I have close to 15 packets a day of stevia and I also have splenda sometimes. I know I need to cut something, but don't know what

You gain because you binge.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just log the calories as they do have calories in them.

When I am craving or eating too much, usually I find I have a protein deficit or am not including enough healthy fats throughout my day (try to get a nut, olive oil, dark chocolate, or legume source in at each snack or meal for a week or two and see if you do better), and check your macros on your diet. Make sure you are getting at least 20% protein, up to about 30%. It really helps reduce cravings for a lot of people.
  • lb628
    Options

You gain because you binge.

Yeah I guess, but why do I binge...could it be the stevia?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If sweet things are a trigger it could be the stevia, but only because it's sweet.

Edit to ask: How restrictive is your diet? If you never allow yourself things you enjoy that could be part of the problem. It seems a lot of people binge when they refuse to let themselves have something "unhealthy".

Edit again: If today is anything to go by, you may want to try eating meals and logging everyday.
  • lb628
    Options
    If sweet things are a trigger it could be the stevia, but only because it's sweet.

Edit to ask: How restrictive is your diet? If you never allow yourself things you enjoy that could be part of the problem. It seems a lot of people binge when they refuse to let themselves have something "unhealthy".

See, but when I don't eat the unhealthy stuff, it's actually because I don't want it...But then when I do want it, I go CRAZY. It's honestly so irritating; I wish I could just eat normally...
  • lb628
    Options

Edit again: If today is anything to go by, you may want to try eating meals and logging everyday.

I started trying to stop logging because I wanted to try listening to my body...not seeming to work though..
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would cut out that much sweetener a day. The recommendation on the label for stevia is only to packages a day. Try not to eat it too much. If you have a sweet craving, try some fruit.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Didn't I just read that any those calorie free sweeteners, when used excessively, can trigger the body to store fat/want to eat tons?
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too. And it doesn't sound like stevia is causing your binges. It sounds like you're also binging on stevia. Do you recognize your binge triggers? My biggest one is the hour I have after work before my husband gets home from work. It's a dangerous time for our fridge... My plan for it, and it doesn't always work unfortunately, is to take my dog for a long walk until my husband gets home. From there, he helps dissuade me from eating before bed. (We work 3rd shift.) But anyway, you probably already know all about triggers and stuff. Good luck with this struggle.
  • jessicahoward54379
    Options
    Recently came across this excellent product ,100% Natural Zero calories stevia sweetener Zyvia? It works great, is a part of our daily supplements. really no after taste.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Binging can be emotional or because you are on too restrictive a calorie allowance or-- just about anything. It's helpful to try to identify the times you are most vulnerable and what your body is trying to tell you. I read that people tend to eat the same weight of foods as on the previous day. If you just want to fill up, find some safe foods you can tolerate that are full of fibre. I keep a head of celery in water on my counter and crispy lettuce around and try to snack on those when I need to. Or develop a strategy that works for YOU. I agree you are eating over the suggested amount of stevia and that might be a problem.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess, but why do I binge...could it be the stevia?

Honestly, that's something you're going to have to figure out on your own, because your cues and triggers will be completely unique to you. For example, the first time I went to this local frozen custard place, there was this one song playing on the radio. Now, every time I hear that song, I have a craving for frozen custard. It's entirely possible that stevia is triggering binges. It's also possible that you always binge after dinner, or every time you eat pizza, or when you get stressed. Because these things are so individual, I would recommend writing down everything you eat and exactly what happens immediately before you binge. Then you'll be able to come up with solutions. If you binge when you're bored or depressed, find something to do, get creative, go for a walk, call a friend, etc. If you binge when you eat fried food, stop eating fried food until you think you can control yourself around it. The same if your problem turns out to be stevia.

I have a huge problem with binge eating, and this is what I found helpful: I paid attention and found that I mostly binge when I'm bored, I eat mindlessly when I'm watching TV/movies or reading a book, and once I start eating cookies, doughnuts, or fried anything (including chips), I can't stop. I cut out those things entirely for now, and after a few months, I'll try eating them again, planned and in moderation. I eat a small 1" square piece of high-quality dark chocolate after dinner most nights, to curb the urge to keep eating. It's slightly sweet and very satisfying. If I want to watch or read something while I'm eating, I make sure to make the exact portion I want to consume, instead of eating out of a bag or box. I'm going to try to stop doing those things while eating and focus more directly on my food, but sometimes food is boring. :) Speaking of boring, when I feel myself getting bored, I sew, write an email to my mom, or clean something around the house.

I'm not saying these things will work for you, because you might have entirely different triggers, and I'm not saying that I've been doing perfectly, but it's been working for me relatively well. If you're curious about the science behind overeating and are interested in a few more ideas, The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler is a good read, and it's what helped me come up with my personal plan.