I MISS GOOD BREAD WITH LOTS OF BUTTER

Options
I'm exhausted and when I'm tired the will power that I do have dwindles. I was tired and hungry and on my way to the gym but really wanted to eat dinner and sleep. Long long days as a therapist listening to others, helping them out. No breaks. Feeling depleted and discouraged. So getting ready for the gym I ate chocolate, then more chocolate, then salty almonds, some dried fruit - then planned to skip the gym, send my husband on his way and secretly go and have a rich ice cream bar at the corner store. He left for a workout ( thin husband with gifted metabolism) and I toasted great bread and slathered it thick with butter and honey. Did that 3 times. Now I'm not tired and hungry. i'm just tired. I'm 5-7 pounds away from my goal and it feels like Everest. So instead of the ice cream bar I decided to read MFP for some encouragement and support to turn myself around.
Thanks for listening.

Replies

• pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    We all have those days. What helps me is finding just the right music- it just seems to get me going.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    He left for a workout ( thin husband with gifted metabolism)

Lol or he's thin because he...works out?
  • nminden
    nminden Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! I was a music therapist for 20 years- and when fatigue hits, I forget everything I know and my will melts away. I will use it right now. I love my playlists. I'll take an evening walk with one of the uplifting ones now.
  • nminden
    Options

I actually work out more than he does. We both work out a lot. He doesn't care too much about food. I care TOO much about food.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options

That doesn't fit in with the OP narrative of venting so please try to refrain from using logic. Thanks.

OP - you were saying? Oh, yes, blah, blah, I want bread, blah, blah, I couldn't help myself, blah, blah, outside influuences are the problem. Is that about it?

If you are only a few pounds away from your goal, you know better. You snapped and ate some bread. You know that isn't going to derail you unless you let it. Time to suck it up and get back on track.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What's done is done and the last few pounds are always the toughest.

No point in beating yourself up now, just need to try to re-focus.

How long have you been on the diet? maybe it's time to go up to maintenance for a week and then get back to it.

Keep your chin up hon, we all have bad days and I'm sure tomorrow will look a bit brighter.:smile:
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    Nothing taste like the feeling of achievement trust me ..
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Ooohh how I love bread with butter. I put salt on it, though. Not honey.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You're always going to have bad days. One day last week I polished off 1/2 bag of Kettle Chips before I knew what was happening. I had gotten in the habit of just not having chips in the house because they are a weakness for me... but I too have a gifted metabolism hubby that complains if there isn't junk food in the house.

I almost talked myself out of my run last night but I just visualized myself as a thinner version of myself when I looked in the mirror... got my butt up and did it anyway and I felt better afterwards. When I'm having a particularly hard time I look at the success stories and tell myself if I keep cheating myself I'll never be there... I'll never have a success story... and I push on.

Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Now, I'm going to have to try that.

I had bread and butter at Outback yesterday and it was delicious! I didn't even think to sprinkle salt on it though.
  • nminden
    Options
    Thank you for all your varied replies. You gave me exactly what I needed. Compassion. A kick in the butt. A reframe. Accompaniment.

Amazing site. Amazing souls.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I miss good bread with butter too. BUT I CAN'T EVEN TREAT MYSELF TO IT WITHOUT AN ALLERGIC REACTION. My life is sad. :sad:
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    God, I SO know what you mean! :laugh:

Nothing better than good bread and butter (with nothing else). I bake my own bread by ways of damage limitation... well, I know what's in it (that would be the damage limitation part :bigsmile: )
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I bake a crusty sourdough bread and top it with salted butter and honey...or molasses. It's delicious.
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Damn it lol I am just drooling thinking about thick sliced bread toasted and lathered with butter and honey????????????????????????????
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt, but you're only a few pounds away from Goal, what are you doing?

What you engaged in wasn't a breakout, it was a feeding frenzy. But you know what, we ALL have crap days and we ALL stuff up. The question remains what will you miss more, the lovely bread covered in butter or the good health, for that type of behaviour can't be a long term thing?

:smile: Time to refocus, break the fixation with whatever foods or behaviours brought you to MFP in the first place and get back on track and Do what's required for as long as it's required to achieve your goal. While you're at it give yourself a Huge pat on the back for what you've already achieved.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Had some bread and butter this morning. Not a part of my diet, but we all deserve a cheat day.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    mmmm good bread (i don't even need the butter!!)

I used to buy these amazing loaves of sourdough/whole wheat and oh dear is that good stuff. I now buy regular supermarket whole grain because I don't like it as much so it's safe to keep around lol.

Anyway, OP - you did it, you had a bad moment, you'll move on. we all do. just this past week i was cleaning out the freezer, found DS's birthday cake, and ate some. and then a little more. and then just one more bite. sigh...
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I love bread, Or tiger bread with jam or peanut butter...........Tiger bread is the best when its fresh!!!

When I eat it, I cant STOP .............That's why I don't buy it!!!

YUM

YUM!!!!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you want bread and butter, then eat bread and butter. Just plan around it, that's all. I love twinkies. I sometimes grab a pack of them in the morning. And, I thoroughly enjoy eating them. I just make sure I realize: That pack of twinkies costs me 30 minutes of cycling, 1 hour of walking, 45 minutes at the gym, or 25 minutes of interval runs.

Then, I pay the piper: I knock one of those out (Extra, over what I normally do), either that day, or the next.