Sweating at gym problem

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Well, not sure if it's a problem or just my "issue."

Anyway---I joined the YMCA yesterday and have worked out there twice so far. I really love it! I feel like I'm getting a great work-out there BUT I'm sweating like you wouldn't believe! I mean BIG TIME--I don't sweat this bad when I'm riding my bike outside!

Not sure why I'm sweating so bad in an A/C'ed gym--any ideas why?

By the time I've spent 20 minutes on the virtual stationary bike, I'm drenched--T-Shirt soaking wet, sweat even dripping off my forearms onto the mat below, etc.

I like to sweat--makes me feel like I'm really working out (I even went and sat in the sauna for 15 minutes after working out for 40 mins!) but there doesn't seem to be anyone else there--at least in the 2x I've been there so far--that is sweating like this!

And I feel like everyone's looking at me thinking "what is up with her!" Probably my imagination, I'm sure, but still, I feel like a sore thumb.

So, for you 'gym rats'--how do you deal with sweating in the gym in front of others?

Do you think people are really thinking I'm nuts?

Is it "gym ethics" to sweat so much?

I do clean the machines when I'm through!

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    Well, not sure if it's a problem or just my "issue."

Anyway---I joined the YMCA yesterday and have worked out there twice so far. I really love it! I feel like I'm getting a great work-out there BUT I'm sweating like you wouldn't believe! I mean BIG TIME--I don't sweat this bad when I'm riding my bike outside!

Not sure why I'm sweating so bad in an A/C'ed gym--any ideas why?

By the time I've spent 20 minutes on the virtual stationary bike, I'm drenched--T-Shirt soaking wet, sweat even dripping off my forearms onto the mat below, etc.

I like to sweat--makes me feel like I'm really working out (I even went and sat in the sauna for 15 minutes after working out for 40 mins!) but there doesn't seem to be anyone else there--at least in the 2x I've been there so far--that is sweating like this!

And I feel like everyone's looking at me thinking "what is up with her!" Probably my imagination, I'm sure, but still, I feel like a sore thumb.

So, for you 'gym rats'--how do you deal with sweating in the gym in front of others?

Do you think people are really thinking I'm nuts?

Is it "gym ethics" to sweat so much?

I do clean the machines when I'm through!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Sweat away. I usually have more sweat than most at the gym - but I feel like I'm working harder :bigsmile: I see people reading magazines and such and they just can't be working that hard.

I think you sweat more at the gym because of air flow. When you are riding the bike or even walking outside, you are creating wind, which dries your sweat. My gym is also a little humid, thus more sweat sticking to you - not as much evaporation.

Nothing wrong with sweating lots at the gym. Just clean the equipment afterwards.:blushing:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Oh yeah, cracked me up to see one guy reading the paper while riding a recumbent bike!! :laugh:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My husband sweats like that. He usually brings an extra shirt to change into when he is done with his cardio workouts. So he doesn't get the machines all yucky when he lifts.
    Sweating is your body cooling itself. It just means you have a fantastic cooling system and you are well hydrated :drinker: Nothing wrong with that.
    Just think of all the toxins your body is getting rid of too. :happy:
    If anyone has a problem with somebody coming to the gym and sweating they need to get a life hahah!
    Like you said, just clean the machine when you are done.
    Kelly :flowerforyou:
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just left gym where I sweat like nobody's business!! i also sweat more there than outside, and it was 105 out when I left. As long as you wipe down the machines, which you do, there is no problem.
    Sweat away, it is the gym and if someone does have a problem, maybe they should go read their paper elsewhere, ha ha. If you can't sweat at the gym, then where can you??

YOU GO GIRL:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the AC you are actually working yourself harder. I get so sweaty it looks like I pee my pants but oh well, I am there for me not the people around me so get all wet and sweaty, the payoff is worth looking like a sweaty mess!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I am always the "drippiest" girl in any class. I also get super flushed in the face. It used to bother me, now I actually think it's a badge of honor.

And, if anything's in me, it's coming out. :wink:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Sweat away, it is the gym and if someone does have a problem, maybe they should go read their paper elsewhere, ha ha.

LOL--Funny!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am always the "drippiest" girl in any class. I also get super flushed in the face. It used to bother me, now I actually think it's a badge of honor.

OMG I get all flushed too! I hate it hahahha! Good one, maybe I'll think of it as a badge of honor from now on too....instead of a big fat tomato face! LMAO!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

OMG I get all flushed too! I hate it hahahha! Good one, maybe I'll think of it as a badge of honor from now on too....instead of a big fat tomato face! LMAO!!!

OK, "tomato face" made me laugh hard. I'm actually more of a pomegranate colour.
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    If you are wearing cotton t-shirts....NO WONDER!!! Make sure you have a good supply of breatheable tops--usually made of "cool-max" material or a polyester blend of sorts. This is SO important, for socks as well.

Cotton holds your sweat in causing your clothes to remain wet and you to stay hot, and later on lose your body heat. Breatheable fabrics wick the sweat away from your body allowing you to stay cool and dryer during your workouts (and blister-free in your socks!).

Good luck.

Madeline
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing cotton t-shirts....NO WONDER!!! Make sure you have a good supply of breatheable tops--usually made of "cool-max" material or a polyester blend of sorts. This is SO important, for socks as well.

Cotton holds your sweat in causing your clothes to remain wet and you to stay hot, and later on lose your body heat. Breatheable fabrics wick the sweat away from your body allowing you to stay cool and dryer during your workouts (and blister-free in your socks!).

Good luck.

Madeline
    OH Yeah!! the moisture wicking socks are the BEST!!! I got rid of my other ones after I tried them.
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    I get super hot and sweaty at the gym too. Always felt really weird about it until I started thinking about how I feel when I look at myself in the mirror. I don't hate the way I look, but I obviously want things to change. I'd get going on the eliptical and start looking around at all the teeny little college girls in their shorts and tight tanks and I'd feel like a cow.

It was hard to deal with and it made me want to quit, but then I thought to myself....ok....I'm working towards looking like that. I want to wear that to the gym and not constantly tugg my shirt down over my hips or wonder if people are thinking to themselves "OMG, doesn't she have a mirror?" lol.

I agree with the others. You go to the gym >TO< sweat, otherwise whats the point? If the sweat is a big problem you could get some Secret Clinical Strength and put it dang near everywhere, but keep in mind ...sweating is good! Its your body's way of cleansing itself!!

I say ...get some seriously upbeat tunes on your MP3 player and show everyone how a real workout looks! Go get'em tiger!! :drinker:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...I sweat more than just about anyone at the gym. I generally do cardio and then do strength training and I take a change of clothes before doing the machines or I'd be leaving puddles! In the beginning it just embarrassed me to death. Over time I've found out that no one really pays any attention. Sweat away. some of us just have hyperactive cooling systems....
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    There are certain over the counter anti-perspirants that you can get that will literally reduce the amount you sweat, at least through your arm pits.

I think one is called certain-dri?
    You apply at night, before you go to bed (less likely to wash off at this time, needs time to sink in)
    and then you just wash it off in the morning and use your normal deodorant through out the day like normal.

The product might be a guy product, but I think there are female versions.
    Hope that gives you some options!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sweat away! :tongue: If you are dripping on the floor, I might lay a little towel down, but a clean of the machines after with their cleaning solution will do it (my gym has the cleaner, and my old gym had the disinfecting wipes in a dispenser) - so just wipe everything down nice and clean!

Btw... I am also a tomato/pomegrante face.... I work with dermatologists so I once asked about the "flush face" (it used to embarrass me terribly in phys ed class as a kid) and that is just the way heat leaves our bodies - and your blood vessels reacting - it is common in light skinned/sensitive skinned people. :smile:

I also tend to blush easily - I'm not one of those people who can stay "calm and collected" - it all shows on my cheeks!! :blushing:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Today there was a different type crowd at the gym, and I wasn't the only sweating this time! I wear a light colored shirt, too and it didn't show sweat as bad.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I sweat big-time too! when I used to have a gym membership I LOVED the spinning class, but my butt would be so sweaty it would look like I wet myself! Since there isn't really anything I know of to stop my sweating, I wear dark colors. I learned the hardway NOT to wear gray! lol I try to stick to black or navy blue, that way I can be drenched top and (eh hem) bottom, and no one is the wiser! :tongue:
  • bamabelle
    bamabelle Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm the same way - I'm the sweater with the pomegranite face. Our YMCA has the really cool treadmills with the televisions and fans, so when I plug in and turn on the country music video channel, I'm zoned and not so much worried about what's going on around me. Plus, those little fans make a huge difference, and sort of makes you feel like you're outside in the breeze. :smile:

I used to be embarrassed, but now, I take a small hand towel with me along with my blood sugar monitor and a bottle of water and if I get too wet around the face and neck, I just use the towel to wipe it away, then I clean the machine after.

Heck, now, if I don't sweat like that, I think something's wrong!
  • skittles20
    skittles20 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've always had the problem of sweating a lot. And I get red in the face like you would not believe! Like someone said already I used to HATE it in gym class in school but now I don't mind. Now, if I don't break a good sweat I don't feel as if I've gotten a good workout in.
    Also, I wear dark colours and after finishing with my cardio I go to the bathroom and splash cold water on my face before starting weights. My gym also provides some fans so if I'm able to get one it makes a huge difference.