Quick opinion please :)

I am a 21 year old female currently at 173cm and 176lbs. I am looking to get to around 145lbs or so so a loss of 30lbs is my general goal.
If I was to eat well (as many non processed foods as possible and stick to around 1400-1500 calories a day) and go to the gym for an hour a time (30 minutes HIIT and 30 minutes strength training) 4 days a week - how quickly would I drop the weight do you think? I am aware this is a 'lifestyle change' but I am going on holiday in 5 months time and would love to have lost it all/majority of it by then! I also know it depends on the person, but I'm asking for just an approximate answer if that makes sense! :)

Also, how long do you think until I start to see results? I know I can be impatient haha.

Thank you very much xxx

Replies

• Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Hi, I think 30 lbs in 5 months is achievable. I am 170cm and started at 185lbs. I have lost 23lbs in 3 months. My diary is public if you would like to take a look. I usually come in around 1200-1500.

Good luck
  • yoyofatigued
    yoyofatigued Posts: 33 Member
    I think you could expect a 1-2 pound loss average per week. Your goal is within that range. Good luck to you!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    30lbs in 4 months = 2lbs a week
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Your weight is currently only just outside the 'healthy' zone with a BMI of 26.8. Therefore you should only be aiming for a safe and steady weight loss of around 1lb per week.

With five months until your holiday around 20lbs may be slightly more realistic, although 30lbs may be possible.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    BMI is bad science, which is only used by health insurance companies to put premiums up
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    BMI is bad science, which is only used by health insurance companies to put premiums up

It's not necessarily bad science - it's trend analysis which works well for looking at populations, but which doesn't work so well for individuals. For the average person, the guidelines are fairly sensible. Of course there are outliers for highly athletic / muscular individuals but these people are not the average.

In any case, the OP is close to being a 'healthy' weight at 5'8'' and 176lbs and as such targeted weight loss should only be around 1lb per week to ensure the majority of weight lost is FATand not LBM.