20-somethings?

Options
Hi everyone!

I admit I've been reading these boards for a while for insights and tips but I am in the midst of losing some weight I gained back and realized I've never actually made it to a weight lower than the one I'm about 12 pounds away from hitting. I'm in my 20s and as most of my friends are not concerned about weight, or even really health, at this point and I'm fighting against a lifetime of bad habits learned from my family, I don't exactly have a great support system. They say insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result and I love seeing how supportive and helpful everyone on here always is, so I suspect it's about time I find a support system so I can break this pattern and finally reach my goal!

A brief background, I've never exactly been skinny but I was really active until recurring injuries caused me to gain a lot more weight little by little each time. Like many, I'm currently struggling to find a job and I've had a tough time dealing with the rejection that comes with it. I've decided that I don't want to allow myself to be defined by other people any longer and I'm on a mission to learn to feel great about myself because of myself. Some of my biggest obstacles at the moment are not giving in to the temptations around me, particularly at social events - when I'm out with family who are eating fries or at a party with friends having drinks and desserts, it's a lot more difficult to say no!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and see if there's anyone on here who can relate. I really appreciate any tips, encouraging words, insights, or anything else anyone has to offer. Thanks! Look forward to talking to you all!

Replies

• Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I often wake up to pasta, banana bread and other bad things that other ppl want me to eat or drink that I should be abstaining from. "One won't hurt" Or , " You can have a little" or "Oh who cares?". Yeah, says my skinny size 6 mother or my friend who's lost weight and looks perfect in her new pair of shorts that I can't wear, or the friend that never works out but looks like a model... ugh..
  • princelukas777
    Options
    I totally feel ya about having friends and family that aren't exactly on the same page as you (us) health-wise. I was at a family gathering for Father's Day and was fighting food-temptations left and right! LOL. It's tough, but I also see it as a means to lead by example in the sense that I might be able to inspire those around me to live a healthier lifestyle (not that they all necessarily need it or anything, but it's always nice to be able to share weight-loss tips and stories with others).
  • vivelerock88
    Options
    Thanks Christina! First, that cat icon is adorable!

I know exactly what you mean. I have friend who studied culinary arts and makes decadent bakery-style cupcakes from scratch every time someone has a party. I think she's about a size 2 or 4! And half the time hanging out with friends means watching friends have one cocktail after the other while I drink water. We go to dinner and I get grilled chicken and salad while they get chicken fingers and fries. It's definitely harder when no one seems to "get it" and doesn't think twice before they eat. :ohwell:
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    MFP is my only support!! I don't like to talk about my weight to a lot of people...don't get me wrong, I'm totally open about how big I am, I just don't bring it up as an issue to others...so, there's no one that can encourage me or help me out in my life. I love fried food and I love sweets (I own a bakery!), and I love to eat at all emotions! I gained my weight with kids, and just never took the time to get it off. I know our backgrounds aren't exactly similar, but you can feel free to friend me, and I'll do what I can to keep you going in the right direction!
  • Kiss_Her_Act
    Options
    And Mom Be Like 'There Are Many Chubby Women,Who Take Good Care Of Themselves And Can Dress Up Their Bodies'

And Im Happy For Them But Im Not Them.I Need To Lose...ASAP..
    And Im Sure Those Women Might Appear Confident and Happy To The Community.But When They Look In The Mirror Its Another Story.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I often wake up to pasta, banana bread and other bad things that other ppl want me to eat or drink that I should be abstaining from. "One won't hurt" Or , " You can have a little" or "Oh who cares?". Yeah, says my skinny size 6 mother or my friend who's lost weight and looks perfect in her new pair of shorts that I can't wear, or the friend that never works out but looks like a model... ugh..

My best friend is who you just described. She's a size 4, eats everything, and never works out. I, only other hand, am NOT. We've had discussions that if we could trade bodies or body types, we would.
  • Kiss_Her_Act
    Options

My best friend is who you just described. She's a size 4, eats everything, and never works out. I, only other hand, am NOT. We've had discussions that if we could trade bodies or body types, we would.

ITs Called Fast Metabolism.And Its Sad For Us,We Have Slow Meaning We Have To Watch What We Eat.
  • saduliss
    saduliss Posts: 13
    Options
    hello! i can relate to having skinny friends who don't get it. IGNORE THEM and stick to what you know is right. don't give in to temptation/peer pressure. right now they'll ask "why are you doing that" but later, when you look amazing, theyll say "HOW did you do that?!"