Not quite sure where to post this, but I need some advice

Options
I have been having some health issues recently. I am unaware of a particular trigger or unusual food/event/or whater that may have triggered such issues. To begin, about 3 weeks ago I began feel dizzy and nauseated after exercising, and my ears seemed clogged, like I was under water. After a couple days of this, I went to the doctor. He said it was congestions and inflammation in my sinuses that was clogging my ears, which was messing with my equilibrium making me motion sick. This made sense considering I have had issues with my sinuses my entire life. After a week of treatment, including decongestant (for congestion and inflammation) and a nasal spray (for inflammation), I went back as I thought I was getting an actual sinus infection. The doctor confirmed it and gave me an antibotic, and another round of decongestant, and added an additional saline nasal spray to thin out the mucus. I have had much relief in the sinus area and am sure that his diagnosis was correct. However, my concern is that the pressure in my ears, dizziness, and nausea have not been relieved at all. I was under the assumption and logic that if there is relief in the cause, then the effect should be reduced. I have taken 4 pregnancy tests (urine not blood) and all have come back negative. I'm worried there may be a blood sugar issue and get nothing but information on diabetes. While possible, it is highly unlikely for me to have diabetes.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can ask or make sure I keep an eye on to tell my doctor the next time I go?

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I get this feeling alot when I give blood, work out too hard or hurt myself. Are you eating well? How hard are you exercising? Then again, the reason I experience it can be different for you.
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Go to another doctor! Look up symptoms on WebMD. Do not overlook these symptoms.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Maybe is was a combination of being sick and not getting the right foods before exercise. I think before you exercise you should have potassium which is in bananas. I also get a little dizzy after I exercise. you might give it a try. It couldn't hurt. I also have the dreaded sinus and allergy problems. Such a pain. have you tried a NetiPot? They also have a neti bottle. it helps clear the sinuses also. Good luck.
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    One of the first things that comes to my mind is vertigo. Good luck!
  • mlangborgh
    Options
    I second the potassium idea. I was getting dizzy and sick feeling after some of my zumba classes so my doc told me to eat an energy bar (the clif bars are great) and recommended a potassium/calcium supplement to take. I haven't had a problem since unless i forget to take it!!! It's worth a try.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    I get this feeling alot when I give blood, work out too hard or hurt myself. Are you eating well? How hard are you exercising? Then again, the reason I experience it can be different for you.

I feel these even when I do not exercise. I haven't been eating the best recently, mostly because when I'm nauseated, I feel like I have to eat to make it stop. It does briefly, but it always comes back. I eat 6 times a day averageing 200 (some a little less and some a little more). At one point I thought it may have been food poisoning, but it doesn't really fit considering it's lasted this long and there has been no vomiting...I'm just starting to get really worried and I can't seem to be left alone long enough to go to the walk in clinic at my docs office, since they are booked through the end of the month. It's just very frustrating, and I can't just go see any doctor and Tricare (military insurance) will have a fit and I can't afford to pay out of pocket....
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Nutrition, good vitamins & minerals make a HUGE difference. I do not have hyper or hypo glycemia nor am I diabetic, although if I don't eat every 2-3 hours and eat well at that, I crash: get jitters, dizzy, nauseas, blury vision, very thirsty, etc. Several Dr's have checked and my baby sister has even checked my blood sugar (she's hyperglycemic so crashes if she doesn't eat). Providing I limit sodium (which I typically do since I don't add salt to anything nor eat much in the way of processed foods), eat well and keep up my exercise routine, I'm good. Days when I get the "symptoms", I eat a little more, even if it means going over cal count since it means my body needs it (we joke at work that I'm feeding my imaginary tapeworm:tongue: ).
    Have a qualified professional (nutritionist, dr., etc.) check out your food diary to ensure you're not missing anything vital or are too low cals.
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    try to get refered to a ear nose and throat dr. it does sound sinus related. I do often feel dizzy and nauseated when i exercise and havent been on top of making sure i am hydrated. definatley pursue it.
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    try to get refered to a ear nose and throat dr. it does sound sinus related. I do often feel dizzy and nauseated when i exercise and havent been on top of making sure i am hydrated. definatley pursue it.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I have Benign Positional vertigo (BPV) and it can be triggered by motion. BPV is when the crystals(that maintain balance) in the ear have shifted out of there natural zone. It causes alot of dizziness. I have it on the right side of my head. It can be treated with the epily manuever. I am not saying this is what you have, but just a suggestion. I wish you luck!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Could be vertigo, but it can take up to two months for fluid to go away behind your eardrum. I bet you still have fluid behind your eardrum. Dr. would need to confirm it. You should go back for a follow up and don't stop your nasal spray and see if that helps.
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the vertigo diagnosis...I would have said pregnancy from the nausea and eating to keep it under control but the ear pressure doesn't fit with that and hopefully 4 pregnancy tests can't be wrong! I hope you manage to get some resolution with this.
  • KarMarianna
    KarMarianna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been a sinus sufferer for years. Once the inner ear is affected, it can be weeks before things straighten out. Steamy showers can help with the pressure. Also, as an allergy sufferer during the weed and mold season, I take a generic over the counter zyrtec and continue to rinse my nasal passages 1-2 times aday with saline to keep the linings moist enough to slough off.

I'm not a medical person, just a fellow sufferer. Good luck.
  • holly2424
    Options
    I have been light-headed and dizzy the last two times I've exercised this week. I went to the doctor today for a headache that I've had for over a week now and he says I have a sinus infection, which could explain the lethargy, nausea, and dizziness I've been having. Is it possible that your infection never got all the way cleared up? Some people need 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of a bad sinus infection. I even had to get a steroid injection today to take all the sinus swelling down, on top of the antibiotics.

Also, ask them to give you a steroid nose spray, such as Flonese, etc., that will help to keep the swelling and inflammation down. I also use a sinus rinse (NeilMed brand) once or twice a week, but up it to 2x a day when I am bad.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I agree it does sound an awful lot like vertigo. There are a lot of other things that can cause your body to respond that way though. When I was 19 I had a bout of food poisoning, which wasn't really that bad, but it inflamed my stomach lining (think almost and ulcer, except your entire stomach!). At first I just though I had the flu, but my symptoms (really gross diarrhea, cramps, vertigo, fainting, seeing spots and almost blacking out, the whole nine) got worse and worse over the next 2 months until I finally went to the doctor. And it was an inflamed stomach lining. Turns out all I had to do to feel better was stop eating. Everything. For about a week. Then had to add food back into my diet one at a time like you do for babies when they first start on solids.
  • acstein
    Options
    I have been light-headed and dizzy the last two times I've exercised this week. I went to the doctor today for a headache that I've had for over a week now and he says I have a sinus infection, which could explain the lethargy, nausea, and dizziness I've been having. Is it possible that your infection never got all the way cleared up? Some people need 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of a bad sinus infection. I even had to get a steroid injection today to take all the sinus swelling down, on top of the antibiotics.

Also, ask them to give you a steroid nose spray, such as Flonese, etc., that will help to keep the swelling and inflammation down. I also use a sinus rinse (NeilMed brand) once or twice a week, but up it to 2x a day when I am bad.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I do have the flonase and use it once a day along with a saline nasal spray (used as needed or ever 3 hours).

I went back to the doctor today because I just could not stand feeling like this anymore and wanted something to be done. I saw a different doctor, once again, and she is having blood tests (CBC, pregnancy, and Liver panel). So next week we'll see what it is. I do have an UTI though, so she gave me meds for that. She said it could explain my symptoms but to run all those other tests just to be sure there isn't something else going on...
  • acstein
    Options
    Thank you all again for your help. These are all good tips even if you aren't currently having any issues!!! Thanks again!!!!!
  • msmbv
    msmbv Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm not a Dr, and I am a newb, but I have been in & out of Drs for a while now since gaining so much weight so quickly. Usually when I feel like this, three things show on my bloodwork; Low-Iron, Low-potassium, and my electrolytes are usually off. Sometimes the dehydration alone makes me get the symptoms of vertigo. I also agree that if the sinus infection affected your balance at any point, then that takes a while to resolve.

I would definitely ask about the CBC results for your Iron & potassium.

Hope all turns out well.
    Feel better!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My allergies cause fluid to build up in my ears, making them feel blocked, in addition to an unbearable itching in the inner ears...when this problem first started it was very bad, causing nausea & vomiting. I take flonase for that...which I saw you were also prescribed.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    One of the first things that comes to my mind is vertigo. Good luck!

This was my first thought as well