Weight Watchers and My FitnessPal

Options
Does anyone do both Weight Watchers and My FitnessPal?

Or what other thing's do you do along with my FitnessPal to help you lose weight besides going to the gym?

Replies

• tiffbiz
    tiffbiz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,
    I recently gave weight watchers a shot. I have a few pointers. First of all, the MFP app is way better for calorie counting and food choices. It was very disappointing going from MFP to WW and I wouldn't recommend it. Also if you notice on any of their success stories...they are all **from a prior WW program, which leads me to beleive it doesn't work as well as their new one....or they haven't been using it long enough to have people lose a lot of weight. Hope this helps. Tiff :)
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I initially did WW but find counting calories works better (and is free!)....i think MFP is the best calorie counting app around. I personally would stick with MFP. You dont need to do numerous things...track your calories, move more, get enough sleep and stay hydrated.
  • dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    I tried WW once about a year and a half ago and I stuck with it for maybe a whole 2 weeks to a month. It was just so hard to log on that thing plus it was expensive...well at least it was to a college freshmen!!! I love this MFP...plus it's free:):) And I've currently lost 19lbs...which not much compared to my goal but it's a lot more than I ever lost with WW!!!! But you never know you might like and it might work for you...
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past, but MFP has more pros - larger and easier database, it's free and the advice and support on here is far far better than on the WW site :smile:
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I think it would be hard to do both together since they work in such different ways ie. MFP focuses completely on calories where some weight watchers points don't align with the calorie content because of the type of food and the other parameters they use to assign points which they then make up for with their free foods and such. I think it would be too confusing so I would recommend picking one or the other, people have good results with both :)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers 3 years ago and lost 60lbs. I gained 24 back (just got complacent.) I'm now doing MFP and have lost 8lbs. MFP is better to me because it's free, its database is waaaay more expansive, and it's easier to log calories than points, especially if you don't eat the exact serving sizes of things. I think it would be really difficult to do both programs together, because you're going to be logging twice, two difference numbers: calories for MFP and points for WW. Not to mention, all the extras you end up buying with WW, like the books that are updated annually, WW branded snacks with the point value printed right on the package, etc. I have purchased 2 electronic food scales from WW, because after buying the first one, they revamped the program. After buying the second one, they did it again! You don't HAVE to buy the extras with WW, but the extras make the program easier.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    I will say that Weight Watcher's magazine is really nice!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I lost 20kg (44lbs) doing WW (not using MFP at all) and I've lost just about 20kg tracking on MFP alone. Roughly the same time period to lose the same amount - around 5 - 6 months for each 20kg. I logged maybe 5 days doing both back at the start of this year when I first decided to try MFP. I had had a break from WW though and gained some weight back (6.6kg/14lbs). I was just following the WW programme and hardly lost anything in the first month. Main difference to me is I'm more aware of my macros with My Fitness Pal and I can account for my exercise better. With WW I kept running out of weekly exercise points. I never ate them back anyway but it irritated me. And WW couldn't explain the "why" behind many of their recommendations. I won't go back to WW now, I don't see why I should pay for something I find inferior. WW was also SO repetitive at the meetings! There's only so much you can learn and you may as well be applying it doing MFP and getting support from people in here.

As for what else I do besides MFP and exercise - well, I log everything in MFP and I exercise. I have adjusted MFP to custom calories based on my TDEE but if you're fairly new to this then the standard MFP set up should work just fine for you. I'm 79lbs down from my starting weight now, it's getting a bit harder to lose. Main things really are just log everything and exercise!

I'll add, the days I logged on here when I was doing WW I wound up eating around 1300 - 1500 calories, I think back then MFP gave me 1490 before exercise.
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers years ago before I ever knew mfp. I didn't like it as felt it didn't give much allowance (I know it has since changed how it works) and I didn't like the class leader who one night sharply handed my book back to me and said to me like I was a pupil in her class at school "do better next time". I decided I wasn't going to pay a fiver a week for that and stopped. However I am sure mine was just a bad experience, and it works for so many people. However, I am not sure if it would work with mfp as they work quite differently.

Though some weight watchers recipes are lovely and I incorporate that into mfp, so in some ways they could work together.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    I didn't read the second part of your post. Along with MFP currently, I do the "8 Hour Diet." It's a fasting-based diet. It's not starvation. You actually get your entire day's calories in during an 8 hour timeframe. So I work 3rd shift. I eat from 4pm until midnight. Then I fast until 4pm again. Read up on the diet. The benefits are plentiful to this kind of eating, but I personally do it as an obstacle to my binge eating. I was doing fantastically all day and night on my diet, only to blow it all as soon as I walked into the door after work. Now, because it's during my fasting period, I just head upstairs, shower, & go straight to bed, without stepping foot in the kitchen. This has helped me tremendously.
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm doing slimfast and mfp at the moment, just to give my body a bit of a shock, as I hadn't lost much in a while, but will go back to just using mfp after.

In my personal opinion - and from watching a panorama documentary :tongue: WW is a bit of a scam, you can find alternative meals and snacks that are 'heathier' i.e. less artificial, less fat, less calories. Some of the tesco own and sainsburys own lighter choice meals and snacks are actually 'better' for you!

Also from doing food shopping the other day, I looked at some of the WW biscuits and I just thought hmm why bother? I'll have a teacake (109 cals) instead :smile: