I had to put my cat to sleep

Options
2»

Replies

• skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I've almost always had at least cats - and MY baby left to die several years go - I never got to say goodbye. I still cry.
    That's what my 21 year old cat did. Not knowing where she went was torture. I still think about her sometimes. :frown:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    My heart is breaking for you, but I have no doubt you did what was best for Eddie. He isn't in pain anymore, and that's a very good thing. I am so sorry that you are in so much pain, though. It will get better with time, but it won't go away completely, and that's OK too. Big hugs to you.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You are not crazy at all! Animals are such a big part of the families they join. The first dog I ever got (5 years ago) got hit by a car 2 years ago and I cried daily for over a year. I still miss her and talk to her all the time. I could not imagine my life without a pet in it. I can't even remember living without a dog under my feet. You are in my thoughts!!!
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You are in my thoughts and prayers. I had to make the same painful decision a month ago and have my beloved doberman put to sleep. He was my baby and my protecter. I cried for days, and I still cry. It literally feels as though my heart broke in two. Thankfully, everyone was very supportive. (((Hugs)))
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You are not crazy. Pets have a way of becoming family. Sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.:flowerforyou: I went through the same sort of misery two years ago, when I had to put my beloved Shih tzu down due to cancer. I knew it was time, and there were no other options, but it about killed me. Give your daughter some time, and she will come to understand that part of growing up is making decisions that are not easy.

Maybe your Eddie and my Dreyfus are up there playing by the Rainbow Bridge. Dreyfus LOVED cats, and couldn't understand why they didn't always share his enthusiasm.:flowerforyou:
  • brzbaker
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! :-(
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Typing this with happy/sad tears in my eyes. Your Cat's Prayer hit home! Had to put my beloved Tripper to sleep four years ago (he was one of the first victims of the pet food lead poisonings) due to irreversible kidney damage. After having several small seizures after one very large, very scary one we decided to let him go. The vet said we could medicate him- essentially turning him into a carrot. Not an option.
    I am sooo sorry for your loss and feel your pain. Consider yourself hugged... :sad: I won't lie and say it gets easier, heck after 4 yrs I still get misty walking past the guest room where he liked to lay. But it will hurt less.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing for my dog a few weeks ago. He had seizures and they got so bad it just wasn't right to keep him with me and suffering. I HATED that I had to do it. I fought it for a few months till it just got two bad. I cried for days. A few weeks before my dog I had my cat of 23 years die from complications due to Diabetes. I gave pills to the dog and shots to the cat everyday. Its really lonely without them. I have vowed not to get another animal because of the pain but I catch myself looking at pound puppies at the non kill shelters. So I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND how it is. Keep your head up. It gets better. My cat was a true character. He is the white cat in my profile pic. The dog in the pic with the cat passed years ago. It was his buddy. My dog that I had to let go a few weeks ago is in another pic in my profile section. He was a springer spaniel.
    Keep your head up. It gets better.