weight training

Options
I am tentatively starting some weight training. I have always had good muscle tone and don't want to lose that but I have never had to weight train because I was always active in the past. Now I need some help after 3 kids in 5 years. I only have handheld weights which is fine, but can anyone give me any pointers as far as info, reps, eating...etc? I am clueless. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Ironbear
    Ironbear Posts: 15
    Options
    http://www.dragondoor.com/dv058.html

This is a link to a good kettlebell training video. I got this for my wife and she really has taken to it. Full body workout in various durations from beginner or experienced.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love Kettlebells. I bought Kettlenetics and use a 10lb bell. I also have Envygirl work out videos. I use 3lb weights with them. I like them because they have a counter on the screen that tells you how many reps and the movements are easy to do correctly. You can find their work outs on Hulu. There are also some other good workout videos on there.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot. Great info. I am getting started!!!!!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There are lots of websites with weight training workouts for you. Print them out. jillianmichaels.com, self.com, even the weight watchers website.
    The key is to work your large muscles first...legs, back, chest. Most of the workouts that work these muscles will also work your smaller muscles. After you have exhausted large muscles, do tricepts and bicepts, shoulders, and abs ( you can do these first if you want)
    If you want to break it up, do back and bies one day, and chest and tries the next, and then legs and butt.

You should not be able to do more than 12 reps...if you can, increase your weight.
    and...eat losts of protein after your work outs

hope this helps
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your goals, which you did not specify. Are you trying to get stronger, build muscle to rev metabolism, increase muscle "tone". The following advice will apply to any of these. The biggest issue with women and weight training is they "don't want to get big". Guess what? You won't! and if you do, it takes a LOT of work and doesn't happen overnight, which means at any time you can alter your training to sculpt your body any way you want it.
    Now, to more directly address your questions- if you can lift a weight more than 10-12 times on a particular exercise then you are using weights that are too light, and you're not weight training, you're doing cardio with weights. Pick a weight you can lift about 8 times (struggling to get through the 8th). Rest for about 1 1/2- 2 minutes and repeat that set. Look up dumbell exercises that focus on the large muscle groups, chest, back, shoulders and legs. You can work out all these in a day or split them into two or even three days if you get really motivated that you're doing several exercises per body part.
    Muscle need time to rest, recover and grow. Wait at least 48 hours after working a muscle group before working it out again, 72 hours to 4 days if extremely sore, (which you probably will be at first, then your muscles will begin adapting). So only 2 sets the first couple of workouts, then try 3 sets in weeks to follow.
    Dietary needs depend greatly on your current shape and goals. But basically, eating 6 small meals a day is good for many, many reasons; and including some protein with each meal insures that your body had the repair materials to help build, sculpt, tone (whatever you want to call it) your muscle.
    There is a misconception that lots of reps with light weight will "tone" the muscle. Muscles don't tone, they grow, shrink, or stay the same. If you want to see more definition of your muscle you have to lose the fat around it, THAT "tones" the muscle. Most people who want to "tone" their muscles, really what they want is to grow the muscle and shrink existing fat around it, such as abs or women's upper arms. So don't be afraid to grow your muscles! Muscles burn more calories, even just sitting there doing nothing than non-muscular tissue.

Hope this helps! happy weight training
    :happy: