Do you think everyone has a natural body weight?

Options
I was thinking whether we all have a natural body weight and usually when we get to that point, it is more difficult to shift the last excess weight or even maintain at a lower weight that might not necessary be your natural body weight.

The reason I ask is, I have always comfortably been a UK size 14 or US size 10 and whenever I put on weight, the weight comes off very easily till I get to what I would consider now to be my natural weight. I have been trying to lose the last 20 Lbs for over a month now and my weight has stayed the same and fluctuated by 1 Lb despite increasing my excercise, calories , trying different things etc which got me thinking that maybe I have to accept that I will never be the size I ultimately strive for. i.e
UK size 12 or US size 8.
BTW: I have been this size before but that was for my wedding 11 years ago so maybe as we get older it becomes harder?

Height: 5ft 6.5

SW: 204 (highest ever!)
CW: 167
GW: 147

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has problems losing or maintaining what might be their natural or realistic body weight??

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do not believe there is a physiological reason for most (and by most, I mean over 95%) people to have more than 20% BF. I am not discounting psychology; just saying that the difficulty is likely not due to some physical wall. It is harder to lose the remaining fat when you get closer to goal.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there is a "natural" body weight for people however, being overweight for the past 22 years, I do believe that the longer that weight has been there the harder it is to shift. It's almost like your body gets used to its normal state of being and then becomes resistant. I don't know....also it's apparently common for women to see slower progress than men.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think that based upon "diet" and exercise that the body has a "set point." My food and workout routine supports a certain weight that my body is able to maitain. To lose or gain weight I have to change that routine. Do I think that there is a certain "natural" weight that your body prefers so it's harder to get away from it? Nope, I think it has everything to do with eating and exercise behaviors and the effort you put in.

I've managed to lose nearly a 100 pounds and I have been through a series of set points where my routine at that moment wasn't enough to lose but was enough to maintain. My new set point is 121 and about 17.5% body fat. It used to be about 124 and 20% body fat.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I am nearly mid 30's and I find it really hard to get past the weight I am now compared to 5-6 years ago when I was at my lightest (UK 8 or US 4) - since my wedding just over 7 months ago I have put on nearly 14lbs and I am finding it really hard to lose, yet maintaining this weight isnt an issue (I am now a UK 12 or US 8)

I was around the same weight before my wedding so I lost 14lbs but it took nearly a year!

I think my body seems to be happy at this weight though I am not, I have no idea why I cant shift the weight I try to be careful what I eat most days but I dont follow anything religiously - though for the next 4 weeks I am going to give the 5:2 diet a go and see if that helps, if it does all well and good then I'll try and get to my goal and hopefully maintain it from there.
  • zeezeemum
    zeezeemum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I am nearly mid 30's and I find it really hard to get past the weight I am now compared to 5-6 years ago when I was at my lightest (UK 8 or US 4) - since my wedding just over 7 months ago I have put on nearly 14lbs and I am finding it really hard to lose, yet maintaining this weight isnt an issue (I am now a UK 12 or US 8)

I was around the same weight before my wedding so I lost 14lbs but it took nearly a year!

I think my body seems to be happy at this weight though I am not, I have no idea why I cant shift the weight I try to be careful what I eat most days but I dont follow anything religiously - though for the next 4 weeks I am going to give the 5:2 diet a go and see if that helps, if it does all well and good then I'll try and get to my goal and hopefully maintain it from there.

I'm 40 years old and like you it seems my body is very happy at this weight!
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I say keep at it, it might just be a plateau and things might start moving again, personally I am not 100% unhappy with how I am at the moment I would just like to be more toned - so maybe thats the way to go?

Chuck out the scales and bring in the measuring tape :)
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My body I think has a setpoint at 230 I can go below that and one screw up hoop there I am
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    No, I don't buy into that theory.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Not a specific weight but an average level of body fat. It's a proven fat that certain individuals have certain levels of body fat that they easily remain in. I forgot the causes though. I mean just look at those hard core hard gainer types who can eat anything, lucky genetic freaks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    My body I think has a setpoint at 230 I can go below that and one screw up hoop there I am
    I hear what your saying. My high weight was 245-50 when I decided to do something and that was in my late 30's and reduced my weight to around where you are now and was like that for a few years, then decided to get more serious. Now I'm just under 200 bulking from a low weight of 180 approx. If you build it, your body will have to react.....lol.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I used to think this - it's the mindset that gave me permission to stay overweight. I used to believe my "natural" weight was around 155. Yeah, not so much :/ I have since learned that 155 (+) is my weight when I'm eating too much and not moving enough. I also used to think I had a "large frame" (Oh look! Another excuse!) Again, not so much.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think that based upon "diet" and exercise that the body has a "set point." My food and workout routine supports a certain weight that my body is able to maitain. To lose or gain weight I have to change that routine. Do I think that there is a certain "natural" weight that your body prefers so it's harder to get away from it? Nope, I think it has everything to do with eating and exercise behaviors and the effort you put in.

I've managed to lose nearly a 100 pounds and I have been through a series of set points where my routine at that moment wasn't enough to lose but was enough to maintain. My new set point is 121 and about 17.5% body fat. It used to be about 124 and 20% body fat.

what did you do to change things up?
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hear what your saying. My high weight was 245-50 when I decided to do something and that was in my late 30's and reduced my weight to around where you are now and was like that for a few years, then decided to get more serious. Now I'm just under 200 bulking from a low weight of 180 approx. If you build it, your body will have to react.....lol.

At 230 I am 16% BF when I get below 215 I just lose all my muscle mass and get skinny fat at least I am down from 245 about 12 weeks ago
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I used to think this - it's the mindset that gave me permission to stay overweight. I used to believe my "natural" weight was around 155. Yeah, not so much :/ I have since learned that 155 (+) is my weight when I'm eating too much and not moving enough. I also used to think I had a "large frame" (Oh look! Another excuse!) Again, not so much.

Love this ^^ and thats how I would have thought too :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there is a "natural" body weight for people however, being overweight for the past 22 years, I do believe that the longer that weight has been there the harder it is to shift. It's almost like your body gets used to its normal state of being and then becomes resistant. I don't know....also it's apparently common for women to see slower progress than men.
    This is my hypothesis as well. I've been on maintenance for over a year and I have been thinking that at some point, my body might quit fighting me so hard. I think it's starting to happen.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think there's a "comfort" body weight but natural is something else.

I mean there's so little that's natural about our lives these days, cars and access to high calorie, nutrient sparse foods in high volumes at low cost. We don't move around, we don't run and chase and hunt or gather (most of us don't anyway!) so it's more a body weight that reflects our habits. Our eating habits and activity habits.

I think it's completely possible to change those habits and routines and see your comfort/ baseline body weight change as a result. At least I hope so as that's what I'm aiming for!

Basically I figured if my weight gain can be put down to more sedentary habits and poor discipline around food, then surely the opposite was possible. Eat less, do more, lose weight.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    http://www.academia.edu/497061/The_Concept_of_a_Body_Fat_SetPoint

Good article that explains how our bodies do tend to have a setpoint but we can manipulate it with exercise and activity.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do not believe there is a physiological reason for most (and by most, I mean over 95%) people to have more than 20% BF. I am not discounting psychology; just saying that the difficulty is likely not due to some physical wall. It is harder to lose the remaining fat when you get closer to goal.

?? A physiological reason to have more than 20% BF would be consuming enough calories to maintain a BF > 20%.

If you mean there is no physiological reaon most people can't drop their BF below 20%, I suppose that's true. All one needs do is consume less net calories. But that doesn't make it ideal for everyone..
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    From my reading and understanding.. your body plateaus at "set points"... the advice is to maintain there for a while..then diet again and bust down through to a new "set point". I read a great article on this years ago but all the details are now fuzzy. I think the researcher said.. most people hit a set point after losing 10 percent of their body weight. That the strategy would be to maintain for a few months..(Yikes..i know!) and then start dieting again to resume weight loss.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

what did you do to change things up?

paid more attention to what/how much I was eating, worked harder in the gym, and moved more outside of the gym. I'm guilty of loosing up on my tracking and falling into a comfortable pattern. To counter this I'm always looking for new workout routines, or classess, or ways to be more active outside now that it's spring and summer.