bread vs pasta

Options
Which one is worse for you for weight/fat loss?

I know you are meant to eat as little of both as possible, but I find I only really feel satisfied if I have one of these for lunch.

I will either have a ham/chicken salad sandwich, or a bit of pasta with salad and ham/chicken. Which option is best?

Replies

• Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I know you are meant to eat as little of both as possible

We are?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'm doing it all wrong. Seriously, you shouldn't give up foods. Work the moderation plan. Your brain with thank you. :wink:
  • NC1994
    NC1994 Posts: 24
    Options
    I didn't mean not supposed to, I just meant when you are trying to lose weight you shouldnt eat them too much!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean not supposed to, I just meant when you are trying to lose weight you shouldnt eat them too much!

Pasta sandwich bad? ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I know you are meant to eat as little of both as possible, but I find I only really feel satisfied if I have one of these for lunch.

I will either have a ham/chicken salad sandwich, or a bit of pasta with salad and ham/chicken. Which option is best?

Neither are bad for weight loss assuming you don't have any intolerances or metabolic reasons to limit them, so you can eat as much as you want and lose just fine if you don't have a medical reason to limit them
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pasta doesn't do anything for me. I have pretty much cut it out of my diet entirely because I am unsatisfied by the amount of pasta that I now allow myself vs. the huge bowls I used to consume. I am not a big sandwich person either, but given the choice that's probably what I'd pick.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As long as you re amping up on the whole grains (bread & pasta) and practicing portion control, you're fine. You actually NEED these items to function daily. Check out the link below... besides water, grains are what your body needs the most of. Just eat smart and work out to make sure those healthy carbs are being used properly ;)

http://www.whale.to/a/food_pyramid.gif

This is an article with a little more insight as to how your body functions and why it needs the carbs. Feel free to do some Googling on your own too :)

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/humans-need-carbohydrates-healthy-6670.html
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Italians always eat bread with pasta,
    one of the skinniest nations there is
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't eat either, there are more healthy foods I can eat that don't eat up my calories like bread and pasta do. On a very rare occasion, I will have a grilled cheese sandwich on wheat though.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    To lose weight the only thing you need to cut down is calories (in reasonable quantity). Eating 1500 cals of balanced meals and 1500 cals of low carb meals will both get you to lose weight at the same rate. Eating low carb only becomes more important once you reached your ideal weight and wants to change your body composition (lose fat & gain muscle).
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    They are both wheat, so if you are limiting that it's some of one some of the other.

If not, I generally find it easier not to overeat bread than pasta, so that might be something to think about.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Neither. Unless you have a medical issue that requires limiting these (or other) foods, calories are what counts for weight/fat loss

Again, outside of disease, eating low carb is just a way to cut calories. For health, the type of bread and the way you cook pasta may matter. White bread has most of the fiber stripped away and fiber is an important nutrient. Over cooking pasta raises the glycemic index which many feel is imporant.

My personal opinion is that al dente pasta and wholemeal bread are good additions to a diet as long as they fit your calories budget. Ham or chicken deli meat is not. Processed meats should be limited.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    Carbohydrate is our main energy source and about 50% of total calories should come from this group. So either bread or pasta is fine. The best choice is whole grain, as it contains more fiber. Just monitor portion sizes. For example, for those who are diabetic, one-third a cup of pasta (one-half if not diabetic) is a serving size. We tend to overdo our portion sizes and that’s the area many of us can tweak.

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen, MS, RD at www.consultthedietitian.com and www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen.