Ideas for low cal pork marinades?

Options
michellemariescott
michellemariescott Posts: 26 Member
Hi, any suggestions for low calorie marinades for pork? We mainly eat chicken and fish, but having pork tonight and I would like to try something different without blowing my daily calories. Thx

Replies

• Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How were you planning on cooking the pork? If you want to cut calories I would suggest a dry rub over a marinade. Also what cut of pork are you cooking?
  • michellemariescott
    Options
    We are cooking pork chops on the BBQ. We are getting little bored with dry rubs, but I will take suggestions for those too!
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh nice!

I've use this one with pork and it turned out amazing.

http://www.marthastewart.com/336923/flank-steak-with-lime-marinade

Then made these out of the pork cause I'm fancy like that.

http://www.marthastewart.com/336902/vietnamese-steak-sandwiches
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Spicy Mustard, very low calories and carbs. I sometimes add hot sauce as well.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate my pork with a mixture of:

lemon juice
    lemon zest
    olive oil (sparingly)
    cayenne pepper
    basil
    garlic
    sea salt (sparingly)
    chives
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like Stonewall Kitchen Maine Maple Glaze. . It's 25 calories for 1 tbls. You don't need a lot of it either! It's on the sweet side due to the maple, but it's nice for a different flavor. Sometimes, I cook the pork and put the tbls. on the side of it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would combine the spicy mustard mentioned above with some crushed pineapple (or the juice)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I did this recipe the other day, we grilled them and they were pretty tasty!

Honey Garlic Pork Chops
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients
    1/4 + 1/8 cup honey
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    24oz pork chops

I mixed everything together in a large Ziploc baggie and marinated in the fridge all day. Flipped it over a few times whenever I remembered. It was good enough to do again, for sure.

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 214.5
    Fat: 6.0g
    Carbohydrates: 19.3g
    Protein: 20.9g
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    we like to use light italian dressing and then put the pork on the grill
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Jamaican Jerk seasoning. It's soooooooo good.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Jamaican Jerk seasoning. It's soooooooo good.

This x100

You can make it yourself if you want to have complete control over things like sodium, but I usually stick with Walkerswood prepared jerk paste. It is SPICY though. I think they have a mild version too.
  • officegirl27
    officegirl27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the Jamaican jerk seasoning from?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Marinade 1.

2-4 limes (squeezed for juice)
    1 small onion diced
    1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
    Cracked pepper corns & salt to taste

Low calorie, refreshing marinade.

Marinade 2.
    Works best with a pork loin- very easy.

Cut pork loin in half.
    Add spicy brown mustard to the center. (I add at least 4 tablespoons worth)
    Place whole bay leaves down lengthwise to taste.
    Wrap the two halves together with string

Both marinades are delicious with pork in the oven or grilled.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I usually get it in the grocery store. If they have a section with international foods it'll be there. Otherwise you could get it at a specialty shop with Caribbean foods.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Lime juice, Adobo and garlic powder. Yum!
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    1tbsp honey, 1tbsp Dijon mustard, with a little salt and pepper, delish!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Brine it before cooking it. Salt & water, add some apple juice, granulated garlic/garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar to it.. just enough to cover your meat. Lets say 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/2 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup ACV. Let it sit in that at least 8 hours. Then season with your preferred dry-rub (we just use black pepper and more garlic powder... Old Bay is also REALLY good on it) and grill. The brining makes it stay super juicy on the inside. My husband will sometimes put molasses, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar in a bowl (about 1 cups worth or less) out by the grill with him with a basting brush and brush the meat every 10 minutes or so. A lot of it runs off.. but some stays so calories would be somewhat estimated cooking like that.

EDIT: I'm not a mustard fan, but some plain yellow mustard rubbed all over right before grilling is actually pretty awesome stuff!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depends what you call low cal...
    My favourite marinade for pork so far is mead (honey wine - homemade in my case). You don't need much, but you'll end up having to drink the rest ;-)
  • michellemariescott
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some yummy options. I have a salt-free greek seasoning that I use on almost everything, but the rest of the family is getting tired of it, so we are all looking forward to trying these :smile:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Equal parts mustard, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Only the maple syrup has significant calories (52 per tablespoon). So let's say you make 3/4 cup of marinade to soak a whole passel of chops. That's not many added calories per chop. To use less marinade, use a zipped plastic bag in which you've squeezed out the air to surround the chops with it without having to fill a pan.