First Day of Insanity - Need Help with Counting Calories

Options
carakit
carakit Posts: 126 Member
Hi All! Yesterday was my first day of Insanity and I did my Fit Test. But now Im not sure how to put the calories I burned into MFP. Will I need to get a heart rate monitor in order to more accurately calculate how many calories I have burned? Thanks for your feed back.

Also, does anyone have an tips on how they got through Insanity?

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    i would highly suggest a HRM...that way there is no guessing. MFP tends to over calculate clas burned.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used a heart rate monitor. Everybody's calorie burn in different, and the HRM I use (polar is the brand) you put your stats in. I ate around 1500-1700 calories, lost about 10 pounds, but I lost mass inches, so don't worry about the scale because I freaked when I gained4 pounds the first month! lol The second month is where you notice he most changes if you want my opinion. I am going to do a hybrid wth weight training an Insanity starting next month after my vacay! Good luck, I really enjoyed it!
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used a heart rate monitor. Everybody's calorie burn in different, and the HRM I use (polar is the brand) you put your stats in. I ate around 1500-1700 calories, lost about 10 pounds, but I lost mass inches, so don't worry about the scale because I freaked when I gained4 pounds the first month! lol The second month is where you notice he most changes if you want my opinion. I am going to do a hybrid wth weight training an Insanity starting next month after my vacay! Good luck, I really enjoyed it!

I did the same thing! After the first month I got on the scale and it was up 4lbs and I freaked out! It really is the second month that you start to see the change and drop in lbs. I agree with getting a HRM then you don't have to guess and over estimate you calories burned!
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, get a HRM.

As for getting through the workouts, just keep at it and take breaks. It WILL get easier!

Good luck!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I did not log cals burned my first round. I ate around slightly below my sedentary maintenance of 2100. Dropped 20+ lbs. Don't stress too much about cals burned, just push play and go harder than you think you can.
  • trecey31
    trecey31 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity Sunday ended with good ol fit test, it will be hard at first really hard but as you commit and do it everyday you will find that its attainable to get thru it. I lost 15 pounds and over 15 inches and will do his warm ups in between jilliam michaels 30 day shred.
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Yesterday was my first day of Insanity and I did my Fit Test. But now Im not sure how to put the calories I burned into MFP. Will I need to get a heart rate monitor in order to more accurately calculate how many calories I have burned? Thanks for your feed back.

Also, does anyone have an tips on how they got through Insanity?

As others have suggested, use a HRM to accurately track. I finished my first round of Insanity last week and I couldn't recommend it enough. The first month I didn't use a HRM, so I was using the following site to track my calories.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises

It's a rough estimate but it's not TOO bad. I found when I got my HRM that most of the time I burnt more cals than what the site recommended, but for others I did less. It all varies.

As for tips to make it through Insanity..

Whew..

Well, just breathe and take it one day at a time. Don't think too much about it as a whole, just think about it as one single day at a time. Keep pressing play, keep listening to that beast and keep trudging through. Feel free to FR me if you want to talk more about it. I'm planning to start a P90X cycle up next week and then i'll probably do another round of Insanity or a P90X/Insanity Hybrid after. But I already miss hearing Shawn scream at me!
  • carakit
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I went ahead and bought a HRM off of ebay. I want to make sure I am recording my calories burned accurately. I am pretty sore today after the day 2 workout!!!
  • Jeeto115
    Jeeto115 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of first month. I was only sore the first week, I guess my body got used to the workouts....no soreness after week one, just a lot of sweat !

I'm also thinking about purchasing a HRM as I just use MFP to measure my cals. Just can't decide on one.
  • carakit
    Options
    I know that the Polar brand is pretty popular. I got a Nike IMARA HRM.