Bloated after excercise

Options
Tishrei
Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
I notice the day after I exercise that I am bloated/ swollen. Like my belly, thighs, ankles. I alternate a bit of running (I'm doing c25k, week 3) and some cardio workouts from hasfit.com. Maybe 30 min 5 or 6 times per week. Last week I was crazy busy so I didn't exercise and lost a lb or so. This week I'm back on schedule and I'm all swollen again and up half a lb. I'm eating 1200 and I don't usually wind up eating back the few cal I burn.

Anyone know what this is all about?

Replies

• zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Muscle repair retains water while it is going on. When the repair is done, the water weight will go. Normal and natural. If you are doing a new exercise, you might see a weight gain from water or the water will mask a weight loss temporarily.

Even an exercise that isn't new can cause this. Distance runner often see a weight gain the days after they increase their long run. They've pushed their muscles further than before and they'll need to repair.
  • deedee85
    deedee85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    I have the same issue my stomach swells after a workout.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to drink more water and decrease your sodium too. How much water and sodium are you having? Also 1200 cals might not be enough for you if you're exercising a lot, even if you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know this is normal. Should I schedule more rest days between? Or just keep going?

I probably should drink more water but I think my sodium intake is ok. I doubt I need more than 1200 cal, I'm 40, female, 5'5" and 126 lb. not quite sedentary but not highly active either