Organic vs. Non-organic

Options
Which is better organic or non-organic? Where do you like to shop for produce and other groceries? Do you eat organic or non-organic foods and drinks? I just got back from whole foods. I bought a lot of organic stuff. I just read an article about preservatives in our food. How they use stuff like tar and beetle skin to dye our foods. Plus it is harmful for our health. Certain food dyes and preservatives cause health issues such as ADHD and certain cancers and diabetes and other health issues. So, I am starting to go the organic route.

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Which is better organic or non-organic? Where do you like to shop for produce and other groceries? Do you eat organic or non-organic foods and drinks? I just got back from whole foods. I bought a lot of organic stuff. I just read an article about preservatives in our food. How they use stuff like tar and beetle skin to dye our foods. Plus it is harmful for our health. Certain food dyes and preservatives cause health issues such as ADHD and certain cancers and diabetes and other health issues. So, I am starting to go the organic route.
    I read a lot of stuff. Where did you read that?
  • Frostbitten007
    Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it. I think it was on a news page like MSN.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    Meh, the only place where I go organic, or at least try to, is with cereals as I love oatmeal but can't seem to do well with non-organic. And no, it's not in my head, I started getting some sort of allergic reaction and I even tried having non-organic to try it out and sure enough I get the reaction again, like I do with eggs. But as far as fruits and veggies go, I'm picky enough as it is, if on top I had to choose organic, I'd have to shop in different places to find it all. While I'm sure organic can be better for some people, the alternative suits me just fine.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I buy organic produce. It's less about preservatives and more about pesticides. In my opinion, in addition to being better for me (due to lack of pesticides), I think organic farming is better for the environment in general. Also, while I'm not a vegetarian, I eat more veggies than anything else -- so I don't like the idea of ingesting all those pesticides if I don't need to.

I also think organic milk is a good idea to avoid hormones and antibiotics in my milk.

I shop at Whole Foods for produce and most of my other groceries, and at Randalls (a Safeway chain) for a few other things.
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I try to buy organic as much as I can afford on my student budget. At least I always buy eggs and dairy organic when I do buy them but that's more for ethical reasons than health.
  • sirenical
    sirenical Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look at labels. Many products out there will use organic ingredients but don't go to the expense of becoming certified.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Non-organic.

That's like, rocks and metal and stuff, right?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.roanoke.com/living/food/frontburner/1923078-12/how-the-dirty-dozen-and-clean-fifteen-can.html

That talks about the fruits and veggies and which ones you should try to go organic on and which ones you shouldn't need to. I try to go to a local produce store that gets everything locally or I go to local farmers markets.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I buy organic whenever there is an organic available – like someone else said, it isn't so much about food additives as it is pesticides and chemical fertilizers and sustainable farming practices. There is a lot of information on the web about the suspected/supposed health ramifications of organic versus non-organic. Some sources are much more reliable than others. Likewise, you will find opinions on MFP varying on the topic. My best advise is to educate yourself. Read as much as you can and be highly suspect of any sources of information (who stands to benefit most from the information? – i.e. a study talking about the merits of beef coming from the beef industry is likely not entirely objective). Personally, I have a garbage in/garbage out view of my food. I don't eat healthfully simply to lose weight – I do it for a long and healthy life and I feel my best chance of achieving that is by remaining vigilant about the purity and sustainability of my food.
  • jamiecrick3582
    jamiecrick3582 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I also think organic milk is a good idea to avoid hormones and antibiotics in my milk.

Publix doesn't use hormones in their milk if you're looking for a cheaper alternative - I know I can't afford $7 for a gallon of milk every week as much as I would like to buy it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    But beetle shells are 100% natural!! ; )
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try hard to buy sustainable first (and that's a tough one to track down, so I'm sure my track record is moderate at best), local second and organic third.

For veggies, during the season I have a local, sustainable and organic CSA. That makes it really easy! I also visit local farmers markets for additional produce and local meats. There's a farm about 45 minutes away from my house that has an amazing sustainable infrastructure, so if we're low on meat we'll head out there once every month or two and stock up on meat to freeze.

For the rest of my shopping, I do a lot of it at a local chain health food market that only stocks organic food, so that makes it easier. They also stock a lot of local produce when it's in season, which can sometimes provide either more variety or greater reliability than the farmer's markets or CSA, if I'm looking for something in particular. It's also a lot cheaper than Whole Foods, and the people are incredibly nice. It makes grocery shopping feel like a pleasure instead of torture.

Finally, for those things which don't turn up at the organic places (I have a fondness, for example, for Bay's English Muffins--nothing organic or local about those), I do end up at the local regular grocery chain maybe once a month or so.

This is probably a more expensive way to eat than doing all my shopping at Safeway. And it takes thought, time, research and effort, along with being comfortable in the knowledge that I'm only doing better, not perfect. But I do feel like I'm treating myself, my family, the environment and our local food producers in a respectful, healthier way. And the more time I spend reading food labels at Safeway, the less money I want to spend buying that kind of food.
  • LearningLessons
    Options
    I switched my kitchen from non-organic to organic and whole about 9 years ago, when I discovered my son's sensitivities to certain foods. For the most part, I use my best judgment when buying organic, for example: why pay $3 more for Organic Pure Maple Syrup, when (non-organic) Pure Maple Syrup is basically the same thing? I do it to eliminate both the preservatives and the pesticides, but not only that, if you research it, the hormones and antibiotics are no good either. I find that Trader Joe's carries quite a large selection of whole and organic foods and I do the bulk of my shopping there because its much less expensive than Whole Foods. I do the rest of my shopping at Whole Foods and at local farm stores. I love that when you look at the ingredients in the peanut butter, the only ingredient is "Peanuts" or "Organic Peanuts". I've read that grains are of particular importance because you want to stay away from GMOs which require an abundance of Herbicides and Pesticides to grow.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I buy organic produce. It's less about preservatives and more about pesticides. In my opinion, in addition to being better for me (due to lack of pesticides), I think organic farming is better for the environment in general. Also, while I'm not a vegetarian, I eat more veggies than anything else -- so I don't like the idea of ingesting all those pesticides if I don't need to.

I shop at Whole Foods for produce and most of my other groceries, and at Randalls (a Safeway chain) for a few other things.

Organic does not mean they do not use pesticides the farmers still use pesticides they just have to use certain pesticides one they can use is well known Nicotine. Source http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/VegFruit/organic.htm

You may think that organic is better for the environment probably not since organic produce is transported as far if not further then conventionally grown produce, organic produce is even transported 1/2 way across the world from places like China to get to you. Organic farming is less efficient due to crop loss and reduced yields which means that more land has to be cultivated to produce the same amount of food, which equals more machinery used and more pollution produced from that machinery. If the entire worlds food supply was produced using organic standards billions of people would need to die because the world could not mathematically produce enough food to feed the population.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You would be better served to minimize processed foods altogether than worrying about organic labels.

As I understand it, the organic difference with meat is significant but not with fruits and veggies.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

They actually cause "issues such as ADHD and certain cancers and diabetes and other health issues"?
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options

They actually cause "issues such as ADHD and certain cancers and diabetes and other health issues"?

No. The issue of carrots coming from an organic farm never caused cancer/ADHD/AIDS etc.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Organic > Non-organic.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I choose organic when I can because I don't like the idea of putting unnecessary chemicals into my body.

On the plus side, organic fruits/veggies taste WAY better to me than their cheaper counterparts. The differences in taste is worth the couple extra bucks on my grocery bill.