Fishing Fanatics!

Options
OK, so I'm a HUGE fisherman (unfortunately both passionately and physically, but I'm working on the latter part). Anyone have any good fish stories?

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I sold my boat a few years ago and finances are preventing it.
    I have another boat and have had it for a few years but it needs work so I haven't used it.

Otherwise growing up I went 4-5 times per week, and 2-3 times/week when I had my boat. Either Bass or Musky fishing.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love fishing, I grew up in TX and my dad was president of the local bass club so been fishing my whole life. I have a great fish story from Saturday and you'll just have to believe me because its real. I am new to Colorado and it was my first time fishing here and we were fishing in a tiny pond, I was alone with my 6 yr old daughter. We fished for hours and never caught a thing, I finally got up and walked around the pond a bit and found a 6 inch long crank bait stuck to a picnic table, I am weird so I dug it out and went back to my spot. There were a couple of guys laughing at me for using it, rolling their eyes. My daughter thought it was cool so we used it. No sooner had I put it in the water we had a tug and then it kept going. I had to really hold on and my daughter was jumping up and down squealing. When I got it to shore it was a 2 foot long Northern Pike. The men who were making fun of me were staring with their mouths open. I jumped into the water to grab and it bit through my line and took off with my lure. So now my daughter and I have tell the story of the magic lure. Lmao

Ps: my daughter has been telling everyone it was as big as me, she's a natural lol
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Another huge fisherman here to. I live in NJ and mostly fish saltwater for blues, stripers and fluke. I love freshwater too, I like to take a couple of trips a year for bass pike and trout.

Also sold my boat for financial reasons. Hope to get back into one soon.
  • trailtripper
    Options
    LOVE to fish. It is a passion with me and one of the few sports I can still do. Grew up on a lake in Wisconsin (Shawano Lake). I got back into fishing about 7 years ago when a friend of mine from SF taught me how to cast side arm and under hand. I live now in NC and fish for bass, crappy, chain pickeral, trout (in the blue ridge mountains) and brim. I fish 4-7 times a week now, mostly from the marina we live by and manage to get my boat or kayak out weekly (launch is 5 minutes from the house). I was fishing this morning before I went to work (0600). I have a boat that is rigged for fishing (finder, casting deck (front and rear) live well, fresh water sink, it is a Tahoe 195, which is not a true bass boat but it works very well for me. I salt water and fresh water fish.

As you can see by my avitar, I also kayak fish.

One of my favirite things to is take preteens out and have them catch some brim.:smile:

When I hit the salt water, it is mostly on a charter boat. I like to fish for Atlantic maui maui, black sea bass, mackeral and anything else that will hit the line. Was out the weekend after labor day and caught about 45 black sea bass. There were three of us on the boat and we each caught between 40 and 50 fish, some were even keepers (slot restrictionson the sea bass).

I have many a fishing storie (as do all true fisher folks do). Some are even true......
  • FishingKayaker
    Options
    I LOVE FISHING!
    I go fishing before work, after work and on the weekends. I have 4 kayaks and can fish from any one of them. I am buying a house because it is across from a lake. I love fishing by myself or with a buddy!

Who wants to go fishing?
  • amandapye78
    Options
    I LOVE FISHING!
    I go fishing before work, after work and on the weekends. I have 4 kayaks and can fish from any one of them. I am buying a house because it is across from a lake. I love fishing by myself or with a buddy!

Who wants to go fishing?

I would totally go fishing for you, after tonight's attempt I need some help lol
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a Lake.
    We'd go Snapping Turtle Fishing. Times of my life.
    We've always had boats for the Ocean.
    I renew my fishing license every year.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    My best fish story is when I ran screaming from a partially dead fish screaming like a crazy person. I don't know if it's the eyes or what, but I'm terribly horrified of fish. I was going to put a finger on a bluegill my ex caught and right when I was a centimeter from it he threw it in my direction. Now I can't even try.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Growing up fishing with my dad I can remember going alllllllll day looooooooong. If I wasn't catching anything, I'd be off catching crayfish, turtles, or swimming! The first day of trout in PA would be elbow to elbow on every single creek. I'm about to move to a house next to a creek. They float stock that creek right in front of the house!!!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I get in as much fishing as I can throughout the year. I do a lot of fresh water fishing in NJ for bass mainly, hit up the surf to chase stripers and blues.. then when the winter comes time to break out the ice gear and try to catch some pike!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I fish quite a bit. My family has a place in the north country of NY, great bass, northern and walleye fishing...I will be going up there this weekend and the week of the 4th so I will get a lot of fishing in....
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love it. Lifting and fishing, the best therapy! I run my local region of the UK pike anglers club but I'll fish for all different species depending on the season.

Would love a bash at musky fishing stateside, a place with a jetty and a boat on the banks of the lake of the woods or lac Saul would be a dream come true!
  • FishingKayaker
    Options
    :glasses:
  • FishingKayaker
    Options
    I LOVE FISHING!

Who wants to go fishing?

I would totally go fishing for you, after tonight's attempt I need some help lol

What kind of fish are you trying to catch? Colorado should have some really nice opportunities for fishing. I envy you in that regard. I like catching Northern Pikes.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I fish quite a bit. My family has a place in the north country of NY, great bass, northern and walleye fishing...I will be going up there this weekend and the week of the 4th so I will get a lot of fishing in....

I, too, have a great place in Northern NY and will be there this weekend :smile:

We love fishing on our little piece of the river and I imagine the 2 boys (both 12) will be out in the row boat all day. I told them that dinner relied on their ability to catch us some nice bass/walleye/pike.

My fish story? When my youngest was about 8 we went out in our little aluminum boat. Hubby was busy keeping us at trolling speed when my son hooked a beaut. Knew it was a bass by the way it came up out of the water flopping and he was used to the big boat (the one that won't tip over if rocked) so he was up with his pole in the air reeling like a mad man. Meanwhile I'm 2 seats and another kid away from him with the net...this was his first big un and it was not getting away on my watch. I have no idea how we managed to keep the boat from going over with me scrambiling and him jumping and reeling, but we managed to boat it and it now hangs proudly on my living room wall. The best part...he picked out the lure at Bass Pro and my brothers and father all just rolled their eyes b/c is was some random orange bomber that they had never heard of before and they were sure it wouldn't catch crap. HA! Now the bomber is the lure of choice for my family and it hasn't failed us yet.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    I LOVE FISHING!

Who wants to go fishing?

What kind of fish are you trying to catch? Colorado should have some really nice opportunities for fishing. I envy you in that regard. I like catching Northern Pikes.

I can catch Pike okay ( see previous fish story lol) but they are not in the area I live in, I did a little digging and talking to other fisherman in the area I was fishing and it turns out I had the right bait in the wrong pond, they gave me suggestions as to where to go and what to use where. I just purchased some rooster tails ( people here swear by them) and we are going to an area highly recommended on Saturday morning and see how those and some salmon eggs work. I am taking my 6 yr old daughter and would really like to catch something for her to get excited about.
  • gmitchell183
    Options
    OK, so, I have a big bass tournament this weekend. I signed up as a co-angler and wouldn't you know it, my boater is a top 10 performer!!! How lucky can you get? Spioke to him last night and he and I already hit it off. (He likes the fact I'm a southern transplant in NJ!) Somethin about us southerners and fishin i reckon!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Where is the tournament?
  • gmitchell183
    Options
    Lake Hopatcong with NJ Bass Federation.
  • du4u02
    du4u02 Posts: 42
    Options
    It's good to see that I'm not the only fisherman on here. I've had a fairly successful career as an amatuer tournament fisherman, and I'm hoping to become a full time touring pro when I retire from the Army in a couple of years. Right now, I mostly fish B.A.S.S. Nation tournaments. I'll try to get some fishing pics up over the weekend.