Carb help

Options
Hello MFP peeps:)

I have upped my calories and started following the meal plan and weight lifting plan in New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have always had a bad sweet tooth, and I mean BAD. Lately I have satisfied it with fruit. But since I drink a smoothie in the morning, and eat a couple of different fruits during the day my carbs are so far off its ridiculous. Please feel free to look at my diary and yes I know that bag of pretzels doesn't help either lol. I want to put it out there that since I have upped my calories and started lifting I have not gained any weight but I have not lost any either. My clothes might be a little looser but nothing serious. Today was the 1st day of week 3 of stage 1 of lifting too. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated but don't be too hard on me:)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Stating the obvious - eat less fruit ? Or at least eat less high sugar fruits and go for the berries. Two portions of fruit a day is enough really. Feeding a sweetness addiction doesn't address the addiction.

Also avoid low fat and reduced fat products as the fat is substituted by carbohydrates.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do not eat anything low fat except my cottage cheese which is 1% instead of 4%. Oh and I drink 1% milk in my protein shakes.
  • corinnelan
    Options
    Try using unsweetened Almond milk in your shakes. It taste good, lower calories and more vitamin D
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do not eat anything low fat except my cottage cheese which is 1% instead of 4%. Oh and I drink 1% milk in my protein shakes.

Coffee mate and reduced fat dressings too.
  • erikarobles
    Options
    Yikes!!!! Thanks for pointing that out!!! I have used that stuff for so long I had forgotten about it!!! Thanks for the heads up:)
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are cards -- try to get all your carbs (or most) with whole grains not simple carbs (which are the ones most think of when they say carbs).

A craving for sweets is often an indicator of too low a protein intake -- up your protein and that might ease a lot.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    IMO your ratio for macros are incorrect. Why so high Carb vs Protein and Fat?? i would think as a starting point you'd need ~1.2g P/lb (LBM). Set fat at 30% and the remainder carbs...your macros look more like you are preparing for long distance running in stead of weight lifting.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    IMO your ratio for macros are incorrect. Why so high Carb vs Protein and Fat?? i would think as a starting point you'd need ~1.2g P/lb (LBM). Set fat at 30% and the remainder carbs...your macros look more like you are preparing for long distance running in stead of weight lifting.

MFP seems to start out around 50% carbs and 15% protein leaving the rest for fats (35%) if memory serves.

Personally, because I know you must get a lot more fiber then most think (women 25 men 38g) carbs must be a large part of your diet and in mine it's 55% (I usually run 50-55%) but they are mostly complex carbs. My protein is at 25% and fats at 20% (I don't need a lot of fat, I have plenty! lol)....

For most people losing weight they are either 'dieting' (I don't prescribe to that kind of thinking in the traditional sense) or dieting and exercising in order to lose weight -- that exercise is more often then not a form of cardio (walking, biking etc) so the higher carbs makes more sense.

Cranking up fats and proteins is a newer idea (Paleo Dieters -- who aren't actually like Paleo the real thing -- do this a lot) but I'm not sure that's the best approach.

For me, you must have fuel (food) that meets your needs and it must have the right amounts of nutrients and dietary fiber -- can't get fiber without carbs and it takes a LOT of whole grains to get enough fiber.
  • Bamacraft
    Options
    I will agree to disagree :). Higher protein and fat isnt a new idea. Bodybuilders/fitness competitors have used that method for years to cut and reach very low levels of BF%. "I don't need a lot of fat, I have plenty! lol" like the humor but you can eat healthy fats to help promote fat loss - someone will read that and confuse eating healthy fats = getting fat and thats not true. My only point for her ratios is that I dont see why she'd need more than 40-45% carbs and so little protein for lifting. I wasnt eating near that amount of carbs even when i was running 20 - 25 miles/wk.

At the same time everyone is different and it takes a while to find what works...if 55% carbs and low protein/fats work for you then stick to what works..
  • Bamacraft
    Options
    and oh yeah..to answer your sweet tooth Q...I satisfy my sweet tooth by usually putting some cocoa and PB in my oatmeal or have a small apple with PB. be sure to measure the PB! very calorie dense and you can go over very easily. ive experimented with some homemade protein bars without much luck. sometimes i grab a 85% cocoa bar. cocoa is very rich in antioxidants so dont be afraid to have a serving/day.
  • erikarobles
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate all opinions!!!! I usually go over in proteins everyday and I am good with that. Generally I eat pretty healthy and just working on the perfect combination is tough. I plan on seeing a nutritionist next month so that should help. Again that's for the responses:)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    check out www.iifym.com for calculating macros. It's what I used. I have to say, 200 carbs isn't that high but if you wanna reduce it you need to reduce fruit a little and bread too - no other options. Protein needs to go up, especially if you're trying to gain muscle. Should be more like 180 to be honest (that is what I'm aiming to have with a daily calorie goal of 1470)

Good luck!