Strength training for women questions

Options
OK so I have seen some amazing success stories pics of women working with weights. I am considering joining a gym just down the street from my house. I (obviously mistakenly!!) always assumed that I would get bulky and masculine looking if I lifted, but it sure does look like the way to go! So should I start with the weight machines first and then move on to free weights? Is it ok to never move to free weights and stay with the weight machines? I'm a tad intimidated about going to the gym period so any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am 5'3.5 and currently weigh 163. I have had 3 children so I'm quite flabby in the tummy. My goal weight is 130ish, but with muscle definition and not hangy skin. lol

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Free weights in gyms can be intimidating, especially with all the 'bigger' guys. The gym will have a personal trainer I would advise grabbing hold of him/her and explain you want to start lifting. They will help develop a program with you, hit up sites such as http://www.simplyshredded.com/16909.html for articles on womens lifting.

I personally avoid machines other than for some leg work, personal preference. There are 100 arguments for and against every bit of gym equipment going.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sincerely, free weights will give you the best results for your time . I do not say that machine are totally useless but I do not recommend them. Personally I get injured when I use the machines. Get the book the new rules of lifting for women (15$) and ask a trainer to show you how to do the routine.

Good luck
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the New Rules book would be a really good read for you.
  • bmeek530
    Options
    I will def get the book and jump into free weights! I just hope I don't get a PT that has that 'women should avoid weights and only slave away on the treadmill' mindset. If I'm going to lift, I am going to LIFT!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Sincerely, free weights will give you the best results for your time . I do not say that machine are totally useless but I do not recommend them. Personally I get injured when I use the machines. Get the book the new rules of lifting for women (15$) and ask a trainer to show you how to do the routine.

Good luck

This book actually has a detailed strength training routine right? Just want to make sure before I buy the book!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This book actually has a detailed strength training routine right? Just want to make sure before I buy the book!

Yes, it should last you about six months if you complete all phases.
  • panthur
    panthur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book too and am excited to start. Not sure if I need to get the personal trainer to show me the workout, but I am intimidated by the dudes training in the weight area. Add me if you want!
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Find someone at the new gym that you can trust to go over form with you, very important to lift correctly to avoid injury and have the best results. Just warning you, you may get some weird looks from guys when you use the free weight, if they are not use to seeing women lift in the gym you go to.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just started reading New Rules over the weekend and am looking forward to getting started next week! I think it is an excellent introduction into lifting. I am using it as a re-introduction after having taken a few years off from lifting.

I hope you find that lifting will help you achieve your health and fitness goals!
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer/coach to explain the Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Barbell Row, and either Power Clean or Snatch to you. Do 5 sets of 5 reps with each of these lifts every other day, lifting as much weight as you can with good form (the good form is why the trainer is there). When you can do 5 sets of 5 reps with a given weight, increase the weight. If you have a smart phone, record yourself lifting to check your form.

Strength training is not different in any way, shape, or form for men and women. The only difference will be that the amount of weight you can lift as a percentage of your body will be lower for upper body lifts.

If you don't have a trainer at your gym who is familiar with these lifts, I'd recommend spending a lot of time on youtube (search "how to [name of lift]", if you search just the name of lift, you'll find lots of videos of people doing the lifts without any info on technique/form). As always, you should ask a doctor if your body is ready to pick up heavy things.
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is to smile and say hi to the bulky guys at the gym. The free weights side of the gym intimidates me, I usually only go over there with the trainer but eventually those sessions are going to run out. Anyway, make friends with the guys who lift, they can give you great pointers and they will be the first to let you know when they see results!! Good luck and I hope you get the body you want!!
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is to smile and say hi to the bulky guys at the gym. The free weights side of the gym intimidates me, I usually only go over there with the trainer but eventually those sessions are going to run out. Anyway, make friends with the guys who lift, they can give you great pointers and they will be the first to let you know when they see results!! Good luck and I hope you get the body you want!!

Great suggestion. Here are some additional tips.

-Before you talk to a guy (or a girl) lifting free weights, make sure they've finished their set. A lot of folks will do two different exercises back to back, so make sure they're actually stopped and resting before you strike up a conversation.
    -When you're looking for someone to ask about an exercise, look for someone who is lifting with good control. If you see them using terrible form, that's not the person to ask!
    -Watch videos on Youtube first! I love helping people, but it helps if they have even a basic idea of what's going on.
    -The key to differentiating a good lifter from a bad one on most lifts is to look at his or her back. If the spine isn't straight, then this is probably not someone you want advice from.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later to see all the suggestions. What a good question, I have been thinking about lifting also.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Oh this is so helpful. I had just decided to go to the library and check out some books. I already looked up the New Rules book and will check it out (and probably buy later but since I'm going to the library anyway...) :)
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in Stage 2 of NROLFW and I love, love, LOVE it!. Just when I was starting to get bored with Stage 1, it was time to go to Stage 2. I can definitely feel and see a difference already. I am also a mom of 3, and have a full time job. I don't feel like the routines take an excessive amount of time but are giving results (and I admit that my diet probably isn't quite what it should be--I'm working on that!). How do I know?

My husband can't keep his hands off me.
    My clothes fit different (better).\
    I can carry my 2 1/2 year old with one arm much easier.
    I hauled a big bag of dog food from the car to the house as if it was nothing.
    I helped my husband lift the camper shell off his truck yesterday. It was hard, but I was able to hold my side up!!
  • pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Books are great for information, and given you are investing your time and energy - you want to most results in the least time, right?

That's why you really need to invest in a couple sessions with a certified trainer. Learn to do the exercises correctly, and learn the correct intensity level you need to get your results. Most important, learn how to avoid injury- you are just too important!

Godspeed
    Len
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I started off with weighted machines, and did those for about a year with pretty decent results. I moved onto free weights 3 months ago. I am shy and don't want people watching me work out which I why I was so hesitant to use free weights; I didn't want to be in the weight room surrounded by men. I had no training program to follow, I just watched a few ladies for a few weeks and kind of mimicked their routines. I also got a ton of great advice on these boards. It can be intimidating to use free weights, especially when just starting out, but you will see such better results from those vs. weighted machines.