Logging Weight Training

I'm sure this is asked all the time, but how do I log weight training? Obviously I can log it under the strength, but I'm curious about how many calories I "earn back" based upon my weight workout.

Replies

• Brandy1775
    Brandy1775 Posts: 17 Member
    I've been trying to figure out the same thing!!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    There is a weights section in cardio, but there are so little calories burned, it's not really worth logging them. No one knows the true amount of calories burned for lifting.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Don't bother logging weights. Think of it as a bonus. It's very hard to gauge calories used through weights.

Koing
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    It's my understanding there is not an accurate way to capture them because weight lifting exercises create a burn that last well after your lifting session is over.

If you are looking for a general idea here's a link to the math I use to get a VERY BASIC idea of what I burned while lifting only.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

I eat back my exercise calories which is why I wanted a general idea. I do not limit myself as much on lifting days. If I am hungry I eat. I just eat a smart choice instead of snacking on chips or something.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I got the impression with weight training you get an "all day burn" compared to the instant burn you get with cardio, so it is probably quite hard to gauge.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Lifting weights forces your body to repair the muscle cells that you damage (assuming you lift heavy, you will damage your cells, this is normal), which is where the "calorie burn" from weights comes in. On top of that, having more muscle causes your body to have higher calorie needs, which, makes it easier to burn fat doing things like sitting in a chair, sleeping, etc.
  • TsukiNeko
    TsukiNeko Posts: 3 Member
    I log it under weight training. I also use Edomondo, it tracks my workout as I'm going and uploads it to Myfitnesspal.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Here is what I do. Whether it is right or wrong I wear a HRM and after the workout I will log the calories burned. I know I have read that this isn't an accurate read of calories burned for weight lifting but I need something to show for what I have done. I look at it this way, even if that isn't the true amount of calories I have burned for my strength training session, it may be more or less, but it gives me something to work from. It is my understanding that some say you may end up burning more through out the day and others say you don't burn that much weight lifting. It works for me though.

When I am accurately tracking my intake of food I still lose weight doing it this way. If I am not accurately tracking my intake of food then I either maintain or gain but that is a whole other issue :-)