first day horror!!

Options
Well I did my first proper day on here yesterday and went way over the calories, had too much fat and minimal carbs!! Admittedly I did count after eating and was shocked to know how bad things could be but does anyone have any tips on how to keep within such a low calorie amount and still feel like you have had a meal!!

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary we can have a look at what you ate, also the more exercise you do the more you can eat :-) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want any ideas or a nosy through my diary :-) x
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yeah, need more info to help
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals usually, but don't always (lately more often than not) follow the plan. It's much easier to stay under if you plan out your meals for the day ahead of time. I always dread logging the day's food after not planning what I ate... almost always go way over.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yup, have a look & see what other people eat so you can get some ideas.
    Generally anything processed is very high in bad stuff so eat clean fresh healthy stuff, with the occasional treats thrown in. It will take some time to change your eating habits so it is a useful exercise to see just how many cals you are eating on your first day trying.
    Make sure you have realistic goals & take some exercise (just a little each day to start with) to boost the numbers you can have.
    Good luck.....
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1340 a day.

Some things i do to meet my goal is to 1 - TONS of veggies!! My goal for myself is to have at least 50% or more veggies for every meal. 2 - I "preplan" some meals if i am unsure how many calories it will be. Just start to enter food options a head of time so you know before you put it in your mouth. 3 - water, water and more water (i do add in the occasional Mio flavouring or crystal light.

If i run out of calories, and i am physically feeling hungry, i allow myself to go over - but ONLY on fruits or vegetables - nothing else...because that will just lead me to "give in" for the night.

Good Luck!
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    the first week was hard for me not to go over my allowed carbs/fats too. ( this is week 5-ish). but it gives you a reality check. im slowly weaning out sugars/high carbs eventually i dont want sugar/sweet cravings.... so far so good. So, now you have to tell yourself "ok, reality check, got it." and start doing some research on recipes with your desired cals/protien/carb/sugar intake. its hard, i know. stay strong. it might seem like a lot of work but i keep telling myself " im making a fitness hobby into a fitness habit". Also, i spend a lot of time on here reading people's success stories/pictures and im truely inspired. we are all here for one another and are in or have been in your shoes.
    hope this helps....
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think almost everyone has some degree of shock when they first start on here .... most people wouldnt be here if they were already eating well.

One thing that I found helped was to have a bottle of water with me all the time. Every time I felt hungry I would drink a glass of water. Then if after 15 minutes I still felt hungry I would eat something.

I also substituted - change chocolate or sweets for nuts or health bars with honey and grains. Change hi sugar cereals for muesli or oats.
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    thanks for sharing.. i go over cals sometimes too. fruit and veggies are a good option. sometimes i eat 2-3oz. grilled chicken ( im grilling chicken like crazy). but, fruit and veggies might help with my craving so ill try that. thanks girl!:flowerforyou:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If the calorie allowance seems unfeasible, you can set it for slower weight loss which will allow you to eat more.

I started off by trying to eat only at mealtimes, which worked well for me. I think some people manage very well with snacking throughout the day or having several small meals, but it didn't work for me. I mainly have the three meals, and that means I can eat a decent amount at each meal. (And also, meal type foods tend to be healthier than snack type foods, so I eat less junk).

I wouldn't worry too much about the default carb/protein/fat ratios. Not everybody goes by them. I set my protein higher because I'm trying to get stronger and I've been told that might help. I frequently go over on fat, but I eat fairly healthily so I just ignore it. At least with MFP, you can look at your diary and see what that fat is coming from.

MFP seems to be designed to encourage you to log exercise and eat back the calories. If you've put yourself down as sedentary (office job, etc.) then you can log any exercise you do. I don't log absolutely everything, but I do find that without logging exercise my calorie allowance seems low. I find it easier to keep to my calorie goal on the days I do exercise. Sometimes that exercise will just be walking. I find that logging the exercise and eating the calories back makes it a LOT easier for me to stick to the plan. If you're not doing any exercise at all, then it's worth starting, even if it's quite minimal - for the health benefits, obviously, but also because you can eat more, which makes it easier!

Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This is NOT a disaster. This is actually a GOOD thing. You are embarking on a journey and realizing that what you THOUGHT was healthy eating turned out to not be... Be not discouraged... This will help you learn. I remember one day early in my journey eating a meal @ Chilis and thinking.. I did well tonight... I did not have much... Well, when I put the meal in my diary I found that my Entree was 1700 calories and the appetizer was another 500 calories on top of that (my share of it)... OUCH... There are some things that can of course help...

1. Try to put your meals together BEFORE you eat them... This is not always possible but it does help...This is especially true if you have to eat out... By deciding BEFORE you go what you are going to eat and finding out what the cost is, you can better keep within bounds.

2. Preparation has a lot to do with it... Order grilled/boiled/baked over fried..> That helps in the fats category. Avoid processed meals when possible... chips, cookies, cakes... all packed with empty calories.

3. Choose foods with nutritional content..> That will fill you up faster because it meets nutritional needs... If you are eating a 400 calorie cake, you are hungry a short time later because your body STILL lacks the nutrients it needs to function properly... Rather than eating a 250 calorie candy bar, choose a 200 calorie protein bar... Not only do you save the 50 calories but you are also getting the 20 grams of protein it has to offer.

4. Be patient. New lifestyles take time to develop.

5. I try to focus on poultry and fish products over red meats..> Not only are they less dense calorically, they have a lot more of the good fats and such that we need such as the omega 3s.

6. Veggies, veggies, veggies and fruits. These help fill us up, meet nutritional values, and are generally far less dense calorically.

best wishes on your success.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters when it comes to lots of fruits and veggies. I didn't see your diary so I don't know, but if you eat out at all, it adds up REALLY fast. I actually got another app for my phone it's just called "Nutrition" the icon is blue and has a fork, spoon, and knife. I use it for when I'm eating out because you can browse the foods by the restaurant and category. This helps me make the best decisions possible for where I am.
    The biggest thing is to get rid of all the processed foods and junk. You'll be amazed at how much healthy food you can eat for very few calories. When I first started, I had a difficult time eating 1200 calories, because I was used to eating smaller amounts of foods, but my calories were crazy high.

It will get easier, I promise!
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LMFAO ITS FUNNY U SAY THAT BEKUZ THATS WHAT HAPPEN TO ME 1ST DAY I WAS SO SHOCKED TO SEE HOW MUCH CALORIES I CONSUMED i was ashamed but i simply just stopped eating so darn much. and cut out eating unessesary things. i would eat when i was bored and now im disciplining myself that im not suppose to go eat when im bored. heres something my doctor told me and its stuck with me every since >>u eat to LIVE , not eat to DIE<< i cut juice and sweets out my life and its made a big impact and i dont fast food either if i do its chinese food and i get beef and broccoli u can do this i know the 1st day is intense but it will get better promise because in a weeks time when u weigh in and see that u lost weight everythings going to be smooth sailing
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    Their isn't a way. Thats why it is called dieting you either need to starve or go on a very low carb diet. What you can do is focus on protein and fruits that have a very high water content but fruits arent very filling. In the end you just need to cut carbs either through low calorie or low carb its the only way.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well I did my first proper day on here yesterday and went way over the calories, had too much fat and minimal carbs!! Admittedly I did count after eating and was shocked to know how bad things could be but does anyone have any tips on how to keep within such a low calorie amount and still feel like you have had a meal!!
    Yes its alot easier than you think but you have to keep away from sweet things, if you eat salad, veg and portein you will be alot lower.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Their isn't a way. Thats why it is called dieting you either need to starve or go on a very low carb diet. What you can do is focus on protein and fruits that have a very high water content but fruits arent very filling. In the end you just need to cut carbs either through low calorie or low carb its the only way.

That's a load of rubbish. OP (and any other newbies reading that) please ignore.

It's a good thing because now you have a starting point. Open your diary and people can give you more specific advice.
  • CSU2012
    CSU2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein during a meal helps you stay full longer. I failed on my first two days too. But I think I will do better as I progress. I'm sure you will too.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary, so can't give you specific help but if you're going over on fat and under on carbs change your macro settings to suit your diet better. you can do this in 'home', 'goals', change goals', 'custom'.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Someone else has said it, but you definitely need to plan ahead. I try and input my meals the day before or sometimes a couple of days before. That way I know what I can have to stay within my calories and also if I have enough left for another snack or a treat.

I have found to keep within my calories I need to have lots of fruit, veg and salad to fill me up, with protein like meat or cheese. I still eat carbs as I have cereal at breakfast, wholemeal bread, rice, pasta and potatoes but I just have way smaller portions. I've had days where I've had pizza and kept under my calories! It is do able to eat the goods you like, you just have to plan ahead, eat less of it of go for low fat options.
  • GillAshy
    GillAshy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've done exactly the same... and felt like giving up today (on the 2nd day) but after reading this, I feel better, so thanks....

Just got to learn from yesterday and make sure I don't do the same today... Cals are a new thing for me, as I've always tried to lose weight other ways (atkins diet/ cutting out foods completely/ slimming world) and I've had some success, but once I stopped logging what I ate and gone 'off the diet' I've always put on every pound I lost!
    So I'm hoping this will be a constant were I can keep a log of everything I eat and keep at it, as I'm never far from a computer/ipad or phone!