great incentive idea to keep going

Options
AB4u
AB4u Posts: 57 Member
...recently read an article on Shape.com about keeping motivation to lose weight. One of the things mentioned was to have a gift for oneself after losing say 10lbs, but this typical gift idea had a twist:

You're to give money to a friend to buy you a gift, and they can only give that gift to you if you've lost 10lbs.

Not only is it an incentive to lose weight, but you're also held accountable to someone!

I'm giving my mom $75 to buy me a gift, and she's only to give it to me after I lose 10lbs. Once I lose 10 lbs I'll set a new goal with another gift.

When i talked to my mom about this, suddenly she became very interested in my weight loss efforts, she used to be pretty uninvolved and almost scared that I was pressuring her to lose weight. This way she knows that its about me, and she can still be a part of it!

You should try this too!

Replies

• ed92969
    ed92969 Posts: 7
    Options
    That's a great idea. My wife and i did almost the same thing. I wanted a motorcycle and after I lost 50lbs last time around, I got my bike.
    unfortunately I peaked at 50lbs and stayed at 230lbs for over a year and a half.
    Recently I gained almost 20lbs back and my interest in using MFP is renewed and since restarting 6/1/13 I am once again down over 12lbs. Nine more e to 230 again and my end goal is 210.

The gift is a motivation, and if that works for you great (it worked for me before).
    This time i want to get off of BP medication and stay that way....My new modivation.
  • librarypage
    Options
    I'm going to try this
  • tdextr
    tdextr Posts: 1
    Options
    Great idea! I always like getting little goodies. I'm giving my husband $50 so he can get me something good!!