Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Go to bed at 8:30 pm, up at 4:30 am.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Can't get up before 8am? Here's a magic trick: act like an adult, set your alarm clock, and get up and handle your business.

Wow, is there any need for the snark? I'm not a child - please don't speak to me like one.

I go to bed around 10.30pm (I usually don't get home from work until about 7.30). I am aware that it sounds strange but it is the honest truth - it doesn't really matter how much sleep I get, getting up before that time in the morning makes me nauseous and headachy for the rest of the day.

That's not me being snarky. That's me being dead serious. Getting up at 8am or earlier is not a hardship. I'm not going to hold your hand and pretend it is. Anyone in the military, or with a 9-5 job, or with kids in school can tell you the same.

Figure out what's important to you and commit to it.

I know, and of course you are right, but I'm really not trying to be a whinge. I work 10 hour days, 7 days a week, I'm always tired and sick, I hate it, and I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything vaguely similar and pushed past it because I really want some of my evenings back. Lots of good ideas here, maybe it is a case of JUST DO IT.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    One thing that worked for me when I started getting up early - Drink a HUGE glass of water before you go to bed. Believe me, you will not be able to stay in bed after hearing the alarm. Then brush your teeth, throw on your workout clothes, and out the door you go.

I've also known people who slept in their running clothes to make it easier.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Can't get up before 8am? Here's a magic trick: act like an adult, set your alarm clock, and get up and handle your business.

Wow, is there any need for the snark? I'm not a child - please don't speak to me like one.

I go to bed around 10.30pm (I usually don't get home from work until about 7.30). I am aware that it sounds strange but it is the honest truth - it doesn't really matter how much sleep I get, getting up before that time in the morning makes me nauseous and headachy for the rest of the day.

That's not me being snarky. That's me being dead serious. Getting up at 8am or earlier is not a hardship. I'm not going to hold your hand and pretend it is. Anyone in the military, or with a 9-5 job, or with kids in school can tell you the same.

I know, and of course you are right, but I'm really not trying to be a whinge. I work 10 hour days, 7 days a week, I'm always tired and sick, I hate it, and I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything vaguely similar and pushed past it because I really want some of my evenings back. Lots of good ideas here, maybe it is a case of JUST DO IT.

its really weird but once you start exercsing you will feel much better for it. i hate hate it, but i like how its shaping me up and i do feel good. just start of simple and slowly. maybe the thought of spending hours at the gym is putting you off but it doesnt have to be like that.
  • springbound
    springbound Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You may want to bring this up with your primary care doctor and get a referral to an ENT or pulmonologist for a sleep study. Do you feel tired a lot of the time? Do you snore? Has a partner ever mentioned that you stop breathing in your sleep or sound weird? (I used to make gurgling noises.) Do you sleepwalk? Waking up still feeling groggy and headachey is a symptom. I understand that some people have different circadian rhythms and can't go to sleep until later/wake up later but that seems like a lot of poor quality sleep.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You may want to bring this up with your primary care doctor and get a referral to an ENT or pulmonologist for a sleep study. Do you feel tired a lot of the time? Do you snore? Has a partner ever mentioned that you stop breathing in your sleep or sound weird? (I used to make gurgling noises.) Do you sleepwalk? Waking up still feeling groggy and headachey is a symptom. I understand that some people have different circadian rhythms and can't go to sleep until later/wake up later but that seems like a lot of poor quality sleep.

I don't think I 'sleepwalk' as such but I think I get up in the middle of the night and don't remember it, always finding glasses of water or the tv on or something else that I don't remember doing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Indentured servant - does your job own you?
    If you hate the hours and time, change it. Few jobs are worth your health - physical or mental.

And if you cant get up at 8 AM, pretend you live in a different time zone.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I don't think I 'sleepwalk' as such but I think I get up in the middle of the night and don't remember it, always finding glasses of water or the tv on or something else that I don't remember doing.

I was also wondering if you're legitimately sick whether you might have a health issue. That's not a normal thing as far as I know. Although in elementary school I hated track so much that I would make myself nauseous every Friday afternoon, so I guess it could be something like that. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I'm familiar with waking up just as tired as I go to bed, but it doesn't make me nauseous.

Personally I'm an early riser so when I recently had to switch to doing some workouts in the evening I was not thrilled. I start to lose momentum around 3 pm and by the time I was getting off work at 5 I just wanted to curl up somewhere and nap. But I just didn't give myself that option. I want the results that come from exercise, so it's not a choice. You may just have to adopt the same mentality. It's not optional.

ETA: about the elementary school thing-- when it started my mom would come get me because I was "sick," and I'd just keep doing it. Once she figured out what was going on she refused to come get me from school and told them to send me anyway. I didn't start liking track, but I did stop getting sick.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I have less and less time to work out in the evenings due to my workload increasing - and frankly I'm getting sick of eating my dinner at 9pm. I was thinking maybe try to split my workouts in half and do some in the morning...

I've been doing that. 5am swim, then in the afternoon another work out, a couple times a week. Working really well, just tough to get used to going to bed so early.

For me it was due to work load and training load both needing to drastically increase.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

A lot of folks work crappy jobs and make the time to do get up and do their workouts whenever they can. Just do it, or don't. Your choice.

A positive attitude about the whole situation will make things a lot easier too, even if you don't feel like it.
  • RichardDickCobb
    RichardDickCobb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thirty minutes of walking in the evening will relax you, after working all day, and you will sleep better. Regards, ****
  • RichardDickCobb
    Options
    Remember, walking can get it done! Find time for a minimum of thirty minutes of walking daily. It has worked for me. Regards, ****
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either but just going to bed early allows me to wake up early with no problem. I have an alarm on my phone that tells me its bedtime.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier, wake up and handle your business. Set your priorities. A number on a clock cannot have a physical effect on you. It's either psychosomatic, learned behavior or a medical condition. See a medical professional if it's the third issue. An internet forum isn't a good place for medical advice. If it's either of the first two, that's where your priorities come into place. Good luck, you're not going to find much sympathy here.
  • RichardDickCobb
    Options
    Hey, you must re-think your workload. To be better at producing quality work, you must find time to run, jump and play! Your workload is your worst enemy; Try rethinking "BALANCE" in your life. Anyone will burnout working your schedule. We care about you, but you must force yourself "to reflect intently on the days you should have spent more gently" (from a poem I wrote about being a workaholic). No job should act to destroy your health and sense of wellbeing. Regards, ****
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Last year, I had good intentions. For almost the entire year, I had my alarm set for 6am, but snoozed for an hour. I did my workouts in the evening as an alternative, with varying levels of commitment.

This year, I just did it. I've been waking up every weekday morning before 6, with very few exceptions. I just decided to do it. However, in order to wake up that early, I also committed to going to bed at 9:30. No more stretching out bedtime to 10:30, 11, midnight, etc.

I feel better, my workouts are better, I've been more consistent and, best of all, I have my entire evening free.

It really is just a matter of deciding you're going to do it, and doing it.

Good luck!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I empathize. Totally not a morning person and getting up earlier also means having to take the dog out so to get in a 30 minute workout at home I have to get up an hour earlier. It is very hard at first but your body will adjust. Go to sleep earlier at night too (though your body clock is set by wake up time, not bedtime). There will still be mornings when I really have to push myself to get up but I find the exercise gives me MORE energy for the day than the extra slepp does.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for the whining
  • carmencc26
    carmencc26 Posts: 10
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am the same way, but what I did is set my alarm at 5 am to give me plenty of time to roll myself out of bed. I need to be at the gym by 6am in order to get in a good workout and get to work on time at 8 am. I always have a cup of coffee before I go as well, while watching the morning news. I am slow to get going but by the time I get to the gym and see everyone working out I'm good to go and have great energy the rest of the day. Also try running/walking outside every now and then, the morning sunrise usually is a great picker upper :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I have less and less time to work out in the evenings due to my workload increasing - and frankly I'm getting sick of eating my dinner at 9pm. I was thinking maybe try to split my workouts in half and do some in the morning...

HOWEVER - I am SO not a morning person. Getting up before 8am makes me feel physically sick for the rest of the day, and even when I drag myself out of bed I am such a zombie that I can't even walk effectively, let alone work out.

Is anyone else like this? If I just suck it up and suffer will it go away? Anyone got any magic tricks?

26843618.jpg