How to get in shape quickly for basic training?

Options
his_kid1
his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
This is for my dd. She is at a good weight, and also pretty strong for a girl, but definitely needs to seriously whip herself into shape before she leaves. She is looking both at apps for tracking (I suggested probably endomondo for running) but also a PLAN laid out to help her know what to do. We are looking at getting her a membership to the Y, so she will have access to track, pool, and weights. Would really appreciate the input from others, particularly those who have BTDT (esp. females).

THANKS!!!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Has she discussed her concerns with her recruiting officer? I would think that they would have a training program for her - or at least a list of the guidelines she needed to meet so she knows what to work towards.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The recruiter should have some ideas of what she needs to be doing. Definitely some running and general military style PT, maybe alternating days...make sure she takes a couple rest days per week for recovery and to avoid injury.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I did Marine Corps boot camp but I'd assume the other services would be similar, just easier ;-) . My suggestion is lots of running (get up to 3-4 miles or so) plus lots of body weight calisthenics - push-ups, running in place, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpess -- as fast sa you can for as long as you can.

In the end, basic training is designed to seem tough yet it really isn't that tough. Many come in really out of shape and 2-3 months later you leave in slightly better shape.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Has the recruiter told her she doesn't meet some requirements to ship for BT?

If not, I wouldn't worry too much. Nobody graduates BT in poor physical shape.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I had about 6 months before I could leave for the Army because I was in the delayed entry program. I did exactly what they would do on the PT test. Push-ups, sit-ups, and 2- mile run. Everyday. When I got to basic they dropped a lot of the females right away...some were actually crying because they could not hold themselves up for a few minutes...:frown: It's best that she doesn't embarrass herself by being one of THOSE women.

I was in 10 years ago, so I assume things are easier now. But still.
  • michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Does she have time to do the Couch to 5k?

If I had to do boot camp over again, I'd do what gnomelove suggested - that's what you're tested on and they'll take care of the rest.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had about 6 months before I could leave for the Army because I was in the delayed entry program. I did exactly what they would do on the PT test. Push-ups, sit-ups, and 2- mile run. Everyday. When I got to basic they dropped a lot of the females right away...some were actually crying because they could not hold themselves up for a few minutes...:frown: It's best that she doesn't embarrass herself by being one of THOSE women.

I was in 10 years ago, so I assume things are easier now. But still.

^^^^ditto^^^^ It hasn't gotten any easier.....I see the troops daily and the ones crying are still the ones who didn't get into shape before going to basic. My recruiter actually worked out with me briefly to teach me what to do. Today you can also go on youtube and checkout what is there. Going in "cold" is a bad choice. Good luck and thanks for serving, you'll be glad and proud you made this choice. :smile:
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Former military here. I can't give you a specific plan, but basic is about 2 things, push-ups and running, so if nothing else work on those two things. Specifically have her talk to the recruiting centre about the fitness testing they do and have her train for that as well. I imagine you are American (I'm Canadian) but for us push-ups and the shuttle test were two parts of the test that many women had difficulty with.

But like I said, find out what the fitness test is and train for that, the military will take care of the rest once she is in ????
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For the best info, go to the source: Military.com

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/prepare-yourself-for-boot-camp

I would look at the the various articles there, and also the ones about the fitness test prep.
    It has been 40 years, but I recall doing a lot of jumping jacks and burpees in my navy bc. Dunno if those are still included.

Another option is the "100 pushups" site, and do their programs for pushups, pullups, squats, dips, etc.
    As for running, couch to 5k to start, then the military.com to get the time down.

They have all the info on what the minimum standard to pass the pft is for different branches. For example,
    Army is Female age 17-21 19 pushups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes 18:54 2 mile run.
    (minimal standard, should train to beat these handily)
    Mike
  • Brandy1775
    Brandy1775 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been in the military for more years that I want to say (dating myself hurts my heart ;) Basic running, pullups (assisted if needed), pushups and situps are the basics. Something that will give her an edge though is any type of explosive training. Plyo, circuit courses, etc. They vary it up so much that as long as she is as ready as she can be, she will be fine. Good luck to her!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    This is for my dd. She is at a good weight, and also pretty strong for a girl, but definitely needs to seriously whip herself into shape before she leaves. She is looking both at apps for tracking (I suggested probably endomondo for running) but also a PLAN laid out to help her know what to do. We are looking at getting her a membership to the Y, so she will have access to track, pool, and weights. Would really appreciate the input from others, particularly those who have BTDT (esp. females).

THANKS!!!

I am in the military take it from me someone who weighed 190 ps 17 women and got out 145 ps 5/6 Juniors, its hard to prep for basic training because its all mental. You will be woken up at 0400 to start your day and your day will not end until 10 pm keep in mind you are moving the WHOLE time. as frighting as this may sound you will leave in the best shape of your life and each day will bring you one step closer to achieving the best possible you. Physically they want you to be able to at least run a mile and a half in atleast 14 minutes and that is on the very slow end boarder line failing. Sit ups/push ups learn to love them because every time they yell, that will be your punishment. 60 sit ups per minute is a good place to be, 30 push ups per minute.

If you smoke or drink soda i suggest you suit now, it will just make your life that much more miserable if your trying to kick the addiction while in training because by no chance will you be able to smoke or drink. Get used to water...yummm

Last piece of advice, everyone has to look standardized so if her recruiter tells her to pack everything its just because they need there fun to lol pack light extremely light, dont bring clothes you wont get to look cute and wear your own. One outfit thats all you'll need because day one they take your bags lock them in a closet and you wont see them again for at least 6 weeks. Dont wear anything to make you stand out when you show up either learn to blend in if you stand out it gives them reason to pick on you. Well thats all I can think of for now, if she has more questions just message me, I remember training like it was yesterday.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I second the, "Don't wear anything to stand out"...I wore a belly-shirt.....BIG MISTAKE. They were on me like flies on **** as soon as I stepped off the bus.

If I had to pick I would just wear some sweat pants and a plain T-shirt.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info on here ladies! I have been seriously thinking about joining the Air force, and all of this information is very helpful to me too! THanks OP for the post!
  • his_kid1
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! She is not in bad shape, like I said. Not overweight at all, and we definitely know to have her focus on running and upper body, but a lot of your responses are really helpful (esp Mike, I think, who listed some of the specific sites). She has not been planning this for long, and our heads are whirling at how fast everything is changing (just this past week, she graduated from HS, got her driver's license, and first car, met with the recruiter several times, and this week she has MEPS). I will test her to see how many pushups/situps/pullups she can do, and how fast she can run. I know that nothing will prepare her entirely, but I also know that if she can strengthen and train enough that she is not on the very bottom of the pack, then that will give her one fewer reasons to stand out. One thing that DH said was that before MEPS, she should not do any training so that she is not sore in any way, except just do stretching for her flexibility, and get lots of rest, take her vitamins, etc. and then assuming she gets through MEPS (no reason we know of that she shouldn't, but I guess it happens sometimes) we will help her start really training for BT in Sept.

I would take any advice to share with her on how to make it through BT, as well, from those who have been there. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to share here, if it is not fitness-related, etc.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Which branch?

Air Force .. She's probably OK already.
    Navy .. Ditto
    Army .. Body weight exercises plus running. See recruiter
    Marines .. Same as above, but they have a pull-up minimum as well.

If it's Army, there is a 10 push-up requirement to get into basic when you get there.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! She is not in bad shape, like I said. Not overweight at all, and we definitely know to have her focus on running and upper body, but a lot of your responses are really helpful (esp Mike, I think, who listed some of the specific sites). She has not been planning this for long, and our heads are whirling at how fast everything is changing (just this past week, she graduated from HS, got her driver's license, and first car, met with the recruiter several times, and this week she has MEPS). I will test her to see how many pushups/situps/pullups she can do, and how fast she can run. I know that nothing will prepare her entirely, but I also know that if she can strengthen and train enough that she is not on the very bottom of the pack, then that will give her one fewer reasons to stand out. One thing that DH said was that before MEPS, she should not do any training so that she is not sore in any way, except just do stretching for her flexibility, and get lots of rest, take her vitamins, etc. and then assuming she gets through MEPS (no reason we know of that she shouldn't, but I guess it happens sometimes) we will help her start really training for BT in Sept.

I would take any advice to share with her on how to make it through BT, as well, from those who have been there. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to share here, if it is not fitness-related, etc.

Again, which branch?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If your schedule allows, the fastest way to get in shape is to train twice a day. I'd get up early, do pushups and situps, then run 3+ miles. Do the same in the p.m.

Increase the distance and speed every week, and take no more than 1 rest day per week. Throw in jump rope, sprints, pullups, burpees, etc. to keep it challenging.

If you have access to a backpacking pack, do a 2-3 hour hike with a 40 lb pack once a week. Up the distance as that gets easy.

You'll be running circles around the guys.
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    what exactly is she going into? the navy or the army? generally the basic training will get her fit but if she does some light exercise and just enjoy the time she has before she leaves.
  • his_kid1
    Options
    Army National Guard. Her MOS is MP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know how common it is, but when I enlisted (a long time ago) in the Marine Corps, the recruiters pulled all of the prospects together (if they wanted to...voluntary) pretty much every Saturday to PT. It helped me quite a bit. Have her know that boot camp is as much mental as physical though...if she's in reasonably good shape she'll be fine. The mental aspect was what was difficult for me.