Exercise/Yoga Ball?

Options
I have been thinking about buying an exercise/yoga ball to replace my desk chair at work. Or at least use it for some of the time. I work on a computer and talk on the phone for the majority of my 8 hour work day.

Can anyone recommend a decent priced ball?
What size would be best?
Is it really better than sitting a regular chair all day?
Are there any specific exercises to do on it?
How high can you bounce on it? Even if it doesn't help with fitness, at least it will be fun ;)

Replies

• geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bump...curious.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. I've seen them for around $100 depending on shipping fees. The size goes by your height. I bought mine from giaim.com and it came with some "office exercises" you can do. I have bounced on it, but not very high - a co-worker joked that he had sex on it one night and it was fun. I should probably have burned it but I like it. Don't worry you can still slouch and slump and maintain the horrible posture you're looking to fix. It doesn't "cure" anything so-to-speak you still have to think about sitting up straight - but it is fun.
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    I thought about doing this also, and found a much better solution:

Buy a balance disc. I bought a Reebok balance disc at Target for around $20. You can set it on your regular office chair and it feels just like sitting on an exercise ball, you still have to keep yourself balanced to use it. Plus, if you ever get any back pain or want a break from using it, you can simply take it off your chair and still have your normal chair to sit on.

I like this for a few different reasons- 1) I can still use my normal chair when I want to, 2) it doesn't look as weird as a ball/chair, no one will know you're sitting on it, 3) it is way less expensive!
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My whole office talked about trying this. I'm interested in hearing about other's experiences.
  • geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of a balance disc before, so I will look into that. I have heard some people say that exercise balls help with core strength and abdominal muscles, but I just wasn't sure how true that was. They look more fun than my regular chair... Plus, I'm getting tired of just spinning around in circles ;)
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the balance disc. The major drawback to the ball are that you don't have wheels or swivel, so you can't move around at your desk or even turn.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the balance disc. The major drawback to the ball is that you don't have wheels or swivel, so you can't move around at your desk or even turn.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I thought about doing this also, and found a much better solution:

Buy a balance disc. I bought a Reebok balance disc at Target for around $20. You can set it on your regular office chair and it feels just like sitting on an exercise ball, you still have to keep yourself balanced to use it. Plus, if you ever get any back pain or want a break from using it, you can simply take it off your chair and still have your normal chair to sit on.

I like this for a few different reasons- 1) I can still use my normal chair when I want to, 2) it doesn't look as weird as a ball/chair, no one will know you're sitting on it, 3) it is way less expensive!

What do you do with a balance disc when you sit on one? I've never used one but a local bargain basement shop has stock right now.
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    It sits on your chair and you sit on it, but have to balance yourself just like on an exercise ball. It is rounded and inflated, so the balancing part feels very similar to an exercise ball - I used to sit on a ball at work sometimes, and I prefer this so I can still use my regular chair.

You can also do other balance exercises with it. Mine came with a packet full of different exercises to do.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the balance disc. The major drawback to the ball are that you don't have wheels or swivel, so you can't move around at your desk or even turn.

They got wheels...
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I'm heading out at lunchtime to buy this, http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/2501-fitness-strengthening-toning-waist-torsion-disc.aspx good price eh that equates to $4.68.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I'm heading out at lunchtime to buy this, http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/2501-fitness-strengthening-toning-waist-torsion-disc.aspx good price eh that equates to $4.68.

No good, it only swivels left to right and is very hard to sit on...will be returning tomorrow.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i always found that after a day or two, i learned how to plant my feet just right, and then i was back to slouching. for a 9-5 job, i'd say it could get tiresome not being able to lean back for a minute, or rest your arms for a while. - if that makes you get up and walk for a bit, that would be a good thing though.
    and you have to watch out for the mortal enemy of the exercise ball: the push pin. (pffffffffffft)
    i do use one for exercise though.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can't really recommend a good brand (I've never really found a "bad" ball except at dollar stores)

But......

I do recommend buying one with a balance disc or sand in the bottom (in case you can't take it anymore and want to actually relax that core while sitting)

and if you bounce on them (doesn't matter how high) and then randomly and quickly stop before actually sitting on the ball (think of like a "bounce/squat" almost appearance) then you do MAJOR kegel work!

This has oddly enough earned me the nickname "Kegel girl" in one of my exercise classes because whenever the balls come out I scream, "WOO HOO! KEGELSSS!"

Thank goodness I go to an all women's gym :blushing: