Too much sodium in my lunch?

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
I bought things to bring to the office to save money from having to go out and also to help me stay away from junk. What I logged into my lunch for today is what I plan on eating a few times this week since I'm going to switch it up a bit sometimes, but does it seem like a good lunch? The sodium is very high so I don't think I did too hot with making a healthy meal lol thanks guys

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I bought things to bring to the office to save money from having to go out and also to help me stay away from junk. What I logged into my lunch for today is what I plan on eating a few times this week since I'm going to switch it up a bit sometimes, but does it seem like a good lunch? The sodium is very high so I don't think I did too hot with making a healthy meal lol thanks guys

Do you suffer from hypertension that you're worried about sodium?
  • Katielynn0913
    Options
    Many grocery stores offer a lower sodium turkey if you are looking to cut sodium down. :)
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health related problems (or are maybe concerned about retaining water weight, though that does go away fairly easily), don't be over critical about your sodium intake.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Looks healthy to me...I would go with fresh meat though instead of processed. :) The fresh is probably less in sodium as well.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad lunch at all - lunch meat and any dairy will always be high in sodium. If you find it hinders your losses or makes you retain water - you can always get low sodium meat (Boar's Head makes one) or roast your own meat and use it for sandwhiches.

I would need some more food in my lunch to stay full - maybe a side salad like spinach and strawberries with a few sliced almonds?

When I have a high sodium meal I just try and balance out the rest of the day, but sometimes I go over the recommended allowance. I just drink extra water and go on with my day!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Even if you do not have high blood pressure now, years of eating too much sodium could cause high blood pressure when you get older, so I think every one should mind it somewhat and not totally ignore high sodium.

If you'll ask at the deli counter if they have any low salt or sodium meats, you will probably find some. I just bought some turkey from a Tom Thumb deli "Coleman's Natural Turkey" has only 170 mg of sodium in 2 oz versus about 350 from most of the pre-packaged meats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me, and your overall is around 1,500 for the day which is pretty good IMHO. I'm hypertensive so I have to watch my intake and am usually around 1800-2000 mg. I also make sure I get lots of potassium...that relationship is very important for me and my hypertension...the potassium helps regulate everything and keep my PH balanced. Also, if you're working out and sweating a lot, you may need more...I've gotten to the point where I can tell if I need some sodium after a workout or something and have a little extra without affecting my blood pressure.

Also, deli meat/lunch meat is a killer when it comes to sodium.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    awesome, thank you everyone!
  • edmatthews2004
    Options
    Health Canada recommends 1500mg of sodium for adults aged 14-50yrs of age. They consider 2300mg to be the Tolerable Upper Intake Level. So I'm not sure why MyFitnessPal tells me my recommended sodium intake is 2500mg...as if I should shoot to get this much salt everyday. It's too much for everyone.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just drink extra water on high sodium days.