Walking in the Zoo

Options
I walk in the zoo a lot! Also soon I'll be volunteering there. My question is how do I log this exercise? If I log it as slow paced walking I'm not sure its correct. First off its 2.0 mph... I mean I'm walking, stopping to look at animals, taking pictures. when I start volunteering I'm going to stop to answer questions..... so how do I log this?

Michael

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You could log it as slow walking for half the time you are there? So if you are there from 12-4 you log two hours of slow walking?

Or, depending on how frequently you volunteer, you could just up your activity level?
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would take the time you are there, cut in half, and log as slow walking. That should eliminate the times spent stopped and if anything will underestimate your calories burned, which can be a good thing if not done all the time putting you in a dangerous deficit.
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use an application called runkeeper for this kind of activity. It is a phone app that tracks speed and altitude changes too. It has an option to auto stop when you stop moving so it works great for this. Also, it tracks calories based on the weight you enter into the app. Good luck and have fun. I would love to volunteer at the zoo, I love animals.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia Fit device that I wear all day. It does a pretty good job of tracking steps and intensity level of activity. I think it would work great for something like you described.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise. I'd alter my activity level to adjust for it, from sedentary if that's where you have it to lightly active.

However, a Fitbit would be a good device to get to help you determine what your activity level is on days when you walk a lot. You can get the Zip for $49. It's fun :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise. I'd alter my activity level to adjust for it, from sedentary if that's where you have it to lightly active.

^^^ This.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I walk the zoo and the mall a lot. I log it as exercise. I use a pedometer. I find the total distance I walked, and typically divide by 2.5 mph to get the total time spent walking.

There are tons of pedometer-type apps. Some use GPS, some don't. I use Runtastic Pedometer when I'm indoors and/or don't want to drain my battery excessively. I like the regular Runtastic app if I'm outside and I want accurate GPS data. Both of those apps link up with My Fitness Pal. But honestly, I don't like the way they calculate calories, so I use the procedure I mentioned above for logging my exercise.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

Agreed.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A cheap pedometer may help you, it doesn't have to be a fancy one. Then based on the activity levels below you can adjust your MFP settings:

Daily step count:
    <5000 Sedentary
    5000 - 9999 Lightly active
    10000 - 14999 Active
    >15000 Very active
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    dont log it.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options

However, a Fitbit would be a good device to get to help you determine what your activity level is on days when you walk a lot. You can get the Zip for $49. It's fun :)

I agree, I also have a Fitbit, Zip which calculates your steps, calories burned & distance. I also have a ultra, which I can't find at the moment, this calculates steps, calories burned, distance, sleep & stairs climbed. It's the best way to keep track of your walking & it will link with My Fitness Pal to show added calories or if you haven't walked a decrease in calories.