What do you want out of life?

Options
Some of you might know that in Nov 2012 my hubby and I completed P90X and because of my before and after pictures, I won $1,000 from Beachbody for the month of Nov for my age group. The money was nice and I felt terrific so I was satisfied with my results but, to be perfectly honest I wasn't' thrilled. I didn't see the changes I had made, only the flaws that were still there. I went on and tried Brazil Butt Lift but it wasn't for me and then I completed Chalean Extreme. I really enjoyed the workouts and even though I didn't log most of my foods, I thought I was doing good until I took my 90 day measurements and saw that I had actually lost muscle definition, talk about not realizing what you have until you lose it! When I told my hubby he said well of course; you didn't eat right (really didn't like hearing that but it was true). So after some pouting, I tried doing Body Beast to get back into things, at this time my mom who has dementia took a "BIG" turn from the worse, I have ulcerative colitis and that was full blown, so my life was crazy and I put "Me" on the back burner.

Jump forward to April: I received an email from BB stating that I'm up for a chance to win $25,000 & a trip to the Las Vegas summit; for my age group if I've maintained or improved my results from Nov. I had two weeks to submit a current picture, so what to do? I had a mole scheduled to be removed in 3 days and no workouts for 21 days after that, I could have sent a picture without the measurements, I could have explained my bloating from colitis, gave them my sad story but, instead, I took a picture (no spray tan to help definition) gave them my honest measurements and hoped for the best (I've added the pic to my profile page). As you might have guessed, I didn't get the invite. So now every time I hear "summit" it kind of burns, I think to myself; you should have pushed back the surgery, kicked butt with the workouts, got a spray tan, blah blah blah!

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't think I pushed myself because I didn't believe in myself, I didn't want to do all the hard work only to be told "No, not good enough" but, that is the wrong attitude to have, I need to stop comparing myself to other people (models), we all have different body shapes and I really I shouldn't be doing this for anyone but "ME" first and foremost. I've started Body Beast again, this time with my hubby (who could use the support too) but this time, I'm doing it for me. I want to feel good, have more energy, plus eating clean helps with colitis and I like how I look even if it's not model perfect. I'm not sure what you'll get from all this but hopefully realize that you don't have to be perfect, you don't have to have 6 pack abs unless you want them for you! Just think about what you want, be healthy and happy with your life!

Replies

• MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great post Sheri. As you know I've regained too. It's frustrating as I worked so hard to reach my goal. I should realised I need to work just as hard to keep it off. You're right. We need to stop comparing ourselves to airbrushed models. I want to be the best 'me' I can be.

Just looked at your new picture and I think you still look amazing :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude! :smile:

*and to answer the question "What do you want out of life?"

No regrets. :)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Sheri - congratulations on your weight loss and body conversion - you have done an amazing job. I hope you get back to logging your food esp. your macro's and back to a balanced diet so you build up your muscles and get in balance again. You can certainly do it. don't let this disappointment throw you off your continuing growth and advancement through life! You do look beautiful now and it sounds as if you still might need time to accept yourself and get used to your new body for the machine and god-given gift it is. Your attitude is the right attitude it just sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into believing it. You're 99% there, girl!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Pass on my genetic legacy, have my offspring succeed in life, have a good time and health till I'm worm food. That's it.

One thing that I pride myself on: I don't succumb to what people think about me, or adhere to what mainstream America defines as "successful". If you don't have your health (barring any acquired or genetic dispositions), a good connection with your family, and aren't having fun and enjoying life, then it's not "successful".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for being HONEST! It seems like when we hit the honesty phase of eating right, exercising and in life we do much better.
  • intotennis
    intotennis Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's hard being honest with myself but, I feel like a weight has been lifted, no pun! Thanks, all! :flowerforyou:
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's hard being honest with myself but, I feel like a weight has been lifted, no pun! Thanks, all! :flowerforyou:

That's why I made that blog post. I had been in denial for a while. By being honest my mfpals (and myself) I really feel like I can get back on track. We got this :)
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi Sheri,
    I usually email you when I want to catch up, but I'm making this one public for a reason.You are an amazing person who has inspired many through your hard work,determination and openness. That openness is something we can all relate to. I think we have all at some stage or another compares ourselves to others. I try not to but it is so difficult.

I'm going to Summit with a rather leery attitude because I don't know how I'll do with some of the Coach Sharks lol. I can only hope that there are sincere compassionate people such as yourself there. If I was to pick people to spotlight as summit, It would be people such as yourself who admit their own challenges and plan to move ahead regardless. You are a mentor of mine and for that I thank you :) Remember a lot of us stil face some of the same challenges. Without this being about me, I still have a ton of body issues images that I'm still dealing with. In reflection the physical transformation is much easier than the mental transformation. We are here to guide and support each other through both.

You hit the nail on the head- we do this for ourselves (end of story) Please remember we are all so proud of you for what you have achieved through such adversity and challenge lately. By the way you look amazing on the outside but even more amazing to us on the inside after posting such an amazing blog.
  • lamarnnem
    lamarnnem Posts: 189
    Options
    Competition at the core of things is for the willing. I lose weight and eat right not for the competition. And I've been reluctant to "sell" anything BB because I don't like "competition" I don't like what it has the propensity to turn me into. I love your spirit and your words. I compare me to old me. And I'm tired of working out tired of ALWAYS eating right. But I keep pressing forward. Not to win some phantom accolades. But to force myself to come up with creative excuses or "new" reasons to be down on myself. I figure their will always be something I'm upset about myself in life, I just got tired of the same ole junk...I.e body, weight, looks etc...

Sheri your awesome. You and Jeff are awesome. And so happy to have been on this trek with you.