Bicep muscle strain?

Options
I have recently started crossfit and have been using muscles I didn't even know I had. This past weekend, I completed an exercise that required me to do 100 push-ups (all at once) and that left me pretty sore. Yesterday, I had to do 10 sets of 6 handstand push-ups (elevated on a box because I'm not quite ready for that yet) and since last night my left arm has been killing me. It's very tight and hard to extend all the way and is sore to the touch. I have been icing and stretching, but it's not helping much.

Is there anything else I can do and is this a strain? Any advice would help. I need to get back at it, like, tomorrow!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I have recently started crossfit and have been using muscles I didn't even know I had. This past weekend, I completed an exercise that required me to do 100 push-ups (all at once) and that left me pretty sore. Yesterday, I had to do 10 sets of 6 handstand push-ups (elevated on a box because I'm not quite ready for that yet) and since last night my left arm has been killing me. It's very tight and hard to extend all the way and is sore to the touch. I have been icing and stretching, but it's not helping much.

Is there anything else I can do and is this a strain? Any advice would help. I need to get back at it, like, tomorrow!
    It's called rest. Don't attempt to workout while you're injured.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If it hurts to extend your arm, and the pain is in the back of your arm, its probably a triceps strain, not a biceps strain, and I agree with ninerbuff, rest is your friend. Take a few days (or longer if necessary) off from working with the injured arm and let it heal. If you absolutely cannot go without working out at all, I'd stick to cardio and/or lower body work. The time away will suck, but it's definitely better to let the strain heal properly and fully now rather than pushing too hard and risking a worse injury (such as a tear).
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree- REST. I also find that icing the very sore area helps immensely too. So yeah, rest and ice, and then back at it!