New to Forum: Any other over 60 aching females ?

Options
I know extra pounds are not good for any part of my aching body, thus my presence here. 50 lbs less on my tall frame will make a huge difference. Walking and standing for any length of time is a challenge. Back, knees, legs, neck, hands...all hurt at one time or another. I tire easily. Naps are my friend. I have arthritis as did my mother and grandmother. I go up and down stairs very slowly. I was slim, even skinny, until my 40s. I was very active. I swam laps until a year or two ago when my shoulder gave out. I will shortly be able to resume my Arthritis Aquatics classes each week thanks to a change in my schedule. I love them, yet, they tire me out and I get little accomplished the remainder of the day.

Extra strength Tylenol recommended by my geriatric physician helps, but does not eliminate the pain. I have tried the glucosamine/condroitin combo from several different suppliers to no avail. I am presently trying a 3 pills under the tongue every 4 hours homeopathic remedy in concert with the Tylenol. I also now follow a newspaper doctor's suggestion re pectin mixed in grape juice. I water down the grape juice and add a heaping tsp of pectin @ am and pm. If any of this is working it is keeping the pain level down to managable levels, not eliminating it.

Two, possibly three years ago I succeeded in staying on the Atkins diet for about 3 months. My recollection is that I did not experience pain during that time. Sugar in a restaurant meat sauce ruined my resolve and I have never had the strength of character to get back on the regimine. It seems like a no brainer. Yet, I haven't done it.

I'm open to hearing from any one who has had success in dealing with any of the above issues.

Thank you!

S

Replies

• swbenson
    swbenson Posts: 2
    Options
    I know extra pounds are not good for any part of my aching body, thus my presence here. 50 lbs less on my tall frame will make a huge difference. Walking and standing for any length of time is a challenge. Back, knees, legs, neck, hands...all hurt at one time or another. I tire easily. Naps are my friend. I have arthritis as did my mother and grandmother. I go up and down stairs very slowly. I was slim, even skinny, until my 40s. I was very active. I swam laps until a year or two ago when my shoulder gave out. I will shortly be able to resume my Arthritis Aquatics classes each week thanks to a change in my schedule. I love them, yet, they tire me out and I get little accomplished the remainder of the day.

Extra strength Tylenol recommended by my geriatric physician helps, but does not eliminate the pain. I have tried the glucosamine/condroitin combo from several different suppliers to no avail. I am presently trying a 3 pills under the tongue every 4 hours homeopathic remedy in concert with the Tylenol. I also now follow a newspaper doctor's suggestion re pectin mixed in grape juice. I water down the grape juice and add a heaping tsp of pectin @ am and pm. If any of this is working it is keeping the pain level down to managable levels, not eliminating it.

Two, possibly three years ago I succeeded in staying on the Atkins diet for about 3 months. My recollection is that I did not experience pain during that time. Sugar in a restaurant meat sauce ruined my resolve and I have never had the strength of character to get back on the regimine. It seems like a no brainer. Yet, I haven't done it.

I'm open to hearing from any one who has had success in dealing with any of the above issues.

Thank you!

S
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. I've had back and knee problems for years. I've taken all kinds of painkillers, even had shots for both my back and knees, did the glucosamine/controitin bit too, all to no avail!
    That said though, this site HAS been a lifesaver in that I've managed to lose over 20 pounds now, something UNHEARD of in any of my other tries over the years! I'm now walking and dancing for exercise every day. I just pop ibuprofen when my aches and pains bother me too much. BUT, I THINK they're not as bad as before the weight loss. So, hopefully, it'll be the same way for you too! Good luck.
  • CountessCatiche
    Options
    Arthritis since a young child - after popping my knee two years ago exercise or even walking became an event !!! I take Tylenol Arthritis and love it - when its really humid it sure helps..... My Dr put me on Entrophen years ago - 1 tablet PRN but I honestly feel the Tylenol works better. I am on a treadmill 3/week for half an hour and dog walk the other days and am just starting to ride my bicycle again <after looking at it for years>

Hang in there - I'm finding my waistline again ( it was missing in inaction )