Need help from Vegans

Options
I am currently a veterinarian but I plan on going Vegan. I made a shopping list that I would like you a look at (criticism is welcomed). Just to let you guys know I am a college student so money is low.

Instant Oatmeal, Raisins, Dates & Walnuts
Apricots, Unsweetened Dried
Dole Dates, Pitted
Amy's Asian Noodle, Stir Fry
Amy's Bowls Teriyaki
Frozen Roasted Butternut Squash & Spinach
Frozen Veggies & Sauce, Far East Blend, with Asian Sauce
Frozen Chicken Style Nuggets, Meatless Breaded
Frozen Steamables, Brown Rice Pilaf
Frozen Asia Shanghai Stir-Fry, with Brown Rice
Garbanzo Beans
Mandarin
Apple Sauce, Peach Mango
Apple Sauce, Mixed Berry
Splenda Sweetener, No Calorie, Packets
Brown Mustard, Spicy,
GeniSoy Soy Nuts, Zesty Barbeque
Salada Tea, Original Black
Luna Nutrition Bar, Lemon Zest
Yogi Tea Black Tea, Refreshing Mint, Vital Energy
Yogi Tea Herbal Tea, Green, Super Antioxidant
Nasoya Nayonaise, Original
Whole Wheat bread
Tri-Color Chick Pea Salad
Tuscany Bean Salad
Banana

Replies

• Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Instead of the whole wheat bread, see if you can find a sprouted grain bread. Much healthier. I like Ezekiel. It's found in the freezer section.

I also suggest vega one protein powder for added protein. French vanilla is my favorite. Vanilla chai I have heard is also good.

Also instead of splenda, I suggest stevia. It's more natural.

Those are my suggestions, hope they help. :)
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot to add the soy protein powder
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am currently a veterinarian but I plan on going Vegan. I made a shopping list that I would like you a look at (criticism is welcomed). Just to let you guys know I am a college student so money is low.

Instant Oatmeal, Raisins, Dates & Walnuts
    Apricots, Unsweetened Dried
    Dole Dates, Pitted
    Amy's Asian Noodle, Stir Fry
    Amy's Bowls Teriyaki
    Frozen Roasted Butternut Squash & Spinach
    Frozen Veggies & Sauce, Far East Blend, with Asian Sauce
    Frozen Chicken Style Nuggets, Meatless Breaded
    Frozen Steamables, Brown Rice Pilaf
    Frozen Asia Shanghai Stir-Fry, with Brown Rice
    Garbanzo Beans
    Mandarin
    Apple Sauce, Peach Mango
    Apple Sauce, Mixed Berry
    Splenda Sweetener, No Calorie, Packets
    Brown Mustard, Spicy,
    GeniSoy Soy Nuts, Zesty Barbeque
    Salada Tea, Original Black
    Luna Nutrition Bar, Lemon Zest
    Yogi Tea Black Tea, Refreshing Mint, Vital Energy
    Yogi Tea Herbal Tea, Green, Super Antioxidant
    Nasoya Nayonaise, Original
    Whole Wheat bread
    Tri-Color Chick Pea Salad
    Tuscany Bean Salad
    Banana

If I were you I'd cut out most of the processed stuff. If you're going vegan for weight loss purposes then adding in fake chicken nuggets, etc won't do you much good. Sodium, etc. I'd check out www.ohsheglows.com

I'd add nuts, lentils, split peas, squash, sweet potatoes, spinach, and avocados. I'd also add in natural peanut butter with no added salt. I'd be sure and read all ingredient labels to watch for added soybean oil (which is in everything). I'd add soybe delicious coffee creamer and almond milk as well, and chia and flax seeds. You should also get some nutritional yest for added B12, or a multivitamin.

If you aren't going vegan for health purposes and/or to lose weight, then I guess the fake stuff is fine.....just depends on the person.
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    I plan on having a protein shake or oatmeal for breakfast every morning. For lunch I plan on having a Vegan tuna sandwich ( made with Garbanzo beans) and all the frozen foods are what I plan on having for dinner. My snacks are like apples sauces, soy beans and luna bars. I guess I could use help with dinner ideas

So my staple foods are:

The soy protein powder

Garbanzo beans

Vegan cheese

Vegan Mayo

Wheat bread or pocket bread

Tofurky deli slices
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    a lot of the fake chicken products aren't actually vegan so be sure to double check.
    you should definitely add in more types of beans/legumes.
    i prefer veganaise (more like mayo) to nayonaise (more like miracle whip) but that's just my two cents.
    i usually keep nutritional yeast on hand for when i want something vaguely cheesy.

eta - most vegan cheese is gross. the texture is way off and none of it melts right. if you must have it, choose carefully. and, if you need recipe ideas, fat free vegan kitchen is a pretty good place to start. i think the lady who writes that blog has mentioned putting some of her recipes up here already but i might be making that up.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Daiya is the best vegan cheese. just an FYI.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You should really have more legumes, nuts and seeds.

Also fresh fruits and veggies.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My daughter used to be vegan, and I found lots of good recipes on www.hellyeahitsvegan.com

I still use some of their recipes, especially for the zucchini bread with chocolate chips!!! (So Moist!!)
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • letspartybigfoot
    Options
    One of my favorite vegan snacks is mashed up avocado on wheat toast (the nuttiest bread I can find) sprinkled with a tiny bit of garlic salt, and sriracha.

You can make a lot of low-cal yet rich salad dressings with almond milk & light veganaise. Also QUINOA. and mexican/bean& rice bowls. and burritos. Cook up anything with hasbrowns or chopped peeled potatoes in the morning. Brussel sprouts with potatoes onions, black beans and salsa. One EASY but savory lunch I like to make is I take a medium or small tortilla (doesnt really matter corn or flour) and spread it with tomato sauce (easy squeeze pizza sauce works and is fairly cheap) or hummus, and veggies (any kind really) and bake it at 375 for like 15 minutes (I'm at a higher altitude so it might not take that long for you). Voila! Super easy personal-size pizza.

Daiya vegan cheeze is the best but it's expensive and it's kind of an aquired taste, and you are supposed to use the whole bag within 7 days of opening it or it can get moldy so I only use it if I"m making something like veggie lasagna or something really special.

Oh I recommend www.****yeahvegantacos.tumblr.com for many endless vegan taco ideas. try not to overdo the soy. It increases estrogen and overloading soy can also be uncomfortable on your digestive system. Fake meats are awesome when you're in a hurry or you just want to eat some vegan "junk-food", so I don't think there is anything wrong with eating it once in awhile, but it's typically expensive.
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    Here's my new list
    Pita Pockets, Whole Wheat, Fat Free
    Flatbread Wraps, Garden Spinach
    Blueberries
    Extra Large Mangos
    Tomatoes On-The-Vine
    Strawberries
    50/50 Blend Baby Spring Mix & Baby Spinach
    Baby-Cut Carrots
    Cleaned & Cut Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
    Mixed Peppers, Club Pack
    Organic Banana
    Small Celery
    Organic Quinoa, Whole Grain
    Chia Seed
    Vegenaise Dressing & Sandwich Spread, Original
    Soy Nuts, Zesty Barbeque
    Silk Soymilk, Original
    Organic Tofu, Extra-Firm
    Simply Organic Cayenne
    Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper
    Soy Sauce, Reduced Sodium
    Pasta Sauce, Tomato Basil
    Honey, Clover
    Old Fashioned
    Raisins, Seedless
    Minute Brown Rice, Instant, Whole Grain
    Red Quinoa
    Seasoning, Original All-Purpose, Salt Free
    Vanilla Extract, Imitation, Premium
    Sun-Dry Sun-Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes, with Herbs
    Garbanzo Beans
    Boca Meatless Burgers, Original Vegan
    Burrito, Organic, Soy Chorizo & Potato
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Here's my new list
    Pita Pockets, Whole Wheat, Fat Free
    Flatbread Wraps, Garden Spinach
    Blueberries
    Extra Large Mangos
    Tomatoes On-The-Vine
    Strawberries
    50/50 Blend Baby Spring Mix & Baby Spinach
    Baby-Cut Carrots
    Cleaned & Cut Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
    Mixed Peppers, Club Pack
    Organic Banana
    Small Celery
    Organic Quinoa, Whole Grain
    Chia Seed
    Vegenaise Dressing & Sandwich Spread, Original
    Soy Nuts, Zesty Barbeque
    Silk Soymilk, Original
    Organic Tofu, Extra-Firm
    Simply Organic Cayenne
    Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper
    Soy Sauce, Reduced Sodium
    Pasta Sauce, Tomato Basil
    Honey, Clover
    Old Fashioned
    Raisins, Seedless
    Minute Brown Rice, Instant, Whole Grain
    Red Quinoa
    Seasoning, Original All-Purpose, Salt Free
    Vanilla Extract, Imitation, Premium
    Sun-Dry Sun-Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes, with Herbs
    Garbanzo Beans
    Boca Meatless Burgers, Original Vegan
    Burrito, Organic, Soy Chorizo & Potato

That looks better, but like I said above, you really should try lentils. I had never tried them before, but they are a great source of protein. I eat a plant-based vegan diet with very limited processed foods, and am able to get all the protein I need from what I eat. I'd be wary about what's in the bread products- ie, soybean oil, or some time of dairy or animal derivative. Also, try to make your own hummus sometime- MUCH cheaper than store-bought, and tasty! Otherwise, your list looks great. You should consider taking a vegan multi-vitamin or eating nutritional yeast for B12 though.
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yay for going vegan! Your list looks good! I, like other posters have mentioned, eat a ton of legumes: all kinds of beans, lentils and soy. I basically eat them at every meal, even breakfast, to fill me up. (Sometimes I'll eat nuts or seitan, but in any case, I need the protein to make me feel full.) I find that buying dried beans and cooking them is cheapest. I'll make a pound every few days and find different recipes that use them. For example, I just used great northern beans to make a dip, put them over pasta, and even snuck them into a dessert! Though if you don't want to bther with preparing beans, canned are reasonably priced.

I also love nutritional yeast! I don't buy many prepackaged vegan cheeses as I've found I can satisfy my cravings with nooch.
  • SophieB99
    SophieB99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Daiya is the best vegan cheese. just an FYI.

+1 for Daiya cheese! Love that stuff! I think the mozzarella is my favorite. :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Honey isn't vegan. http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Your new list is great! I'd just add some nuts and seeds.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honey isn't vegan. http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Your new list is great! I'd just add some nuts and seeds.

Honey isn't vegan - so if you are doing this for cruelty-free purposes, look for agave as an alternate sweetener. Also, if you choose to include sugar in your diet and cruelty-free is an issue, look for vegan sugar. Most commercial sugar is processed through bone char to get the white color. Vegan sugar eliminates that step.

Also look for The Vegan Zombie and EcoVegan Gal on Youtube. Some good stuff there. :)

Welcome to the club!
  • openintro
    openintro Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out the Candle Cafe frozen meals. The Mac and Cheese is amazing. Also, Celebration Roast is great on sandwiches or just as a sliced snack. You can find both of these at Whole Foods.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian.
    Your food choices look good to me.

I get the Morning Star Farms Soy Chicken, not sure where all of these comments are coming from.
    I also eat my Soy Bacon from Morning Star Farms.

Being a vegetarian, I have lost 11 pounds in 30 days.
    It works even with the Soy Chicken and Bacon.

I usually every morning have Oatmeal and Natural Peanut butter.
  • Cornblossom
    Options
    Bump.
  • letspartybigfoot
    Options
    If you get on the Whole Foods website they have recipes for a bunch of vegan stuff that they sell in their deli. It's way cheaper to make their stuff than buy it at 7.99/lb. Some great ones are the California Quinoa Salad, mushroom-barley soup, corn-arugula salad. I struggle with enjoying salads except veggie taco salad - I eat that alot. I just use salsa as dressing and beans instead of meat.
    I agree on the lentils - I personally only make soup with them but I'd like to experiment more with lentils. I recommend a crock pot. You can make a lot and freeze stuff so when you are short on time or stressed out you have a backup plan of something to eat so you don't get stuck eating carrot sticks with hummus for the millionth time.

Veggie taco casserole is fun. You can just layer sliced zuchinni instead of pasta to lower the carbs (or layer lowcarb torllas, and use beans and canned tomatoes, cilantro, green chiles and green enchilada sauce.

Oh yes get your self some nutritional yeast, gurl!