Diet and Breastfeeding

Options
Hello There! I am new to MFP and was wondering if there is a way to add into this that i am Exclusivity Nursing my now 6mo son. I was advised to wait until he was at least 6mo to start dieting to make sure my supply was strong. Our nursing is going great and its time to lose all this extra weight. I know when nursing i should be eating a higher amnt of calories but not sure how many more, does anyone know how many more i should be eating while nursing in order to lose weight and continue BF? Thanks!

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can do it one of two ways. I personally have just manually set my calorie goal to a higher level (I'm using 1800 calories which seems to be working for me to lose at a good pace and hasn't affected my milk supply - but I'm not exclusively nursing anymore. I'm 5'7" and have about 40 lbs. to lose). Or you can create an exercise and log that and add in an extra 350-500 calories to your day on that way.
  • kbailey011089
    kbailey011089 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great Thank you! So around 300-500 extra calories is normal?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I believe breastfeeding is also found in the food entries if you want to log it there?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'd heard it's in the food log too!

You'll get different numbers from different people/sites. But I'd say if you're still 100% nursing, I'd stick to 500 to start. If that doesn't work, I'd slowly lower by 100 calories/week or so until you start to see a loss (or if you see a change in your supply, go back up).
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    500 extra calories a day if you're breastfeeding.
  • kbailey011089
    kbailey011089 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay Great Thanks you all! I appreciate it. I dont want to lose my supply but i have GOT to lose this weight! lol