Decoding Subway

Options
Well, I am having an insane week. I have been eating out a lot to save time. Today I went to subway for lunch, keep in mind I am the king of mayo, cheese, chips and those tasty cookies.

I tried to keep in healthy so here is what I got...

6 Inch Grilled Chicken on Wheat with Lettuce, tomato, green peppers, cucumbers, black pepper.
I tried to get low fat Italian dressing but they didn't have it and I ended up falling for their "lite Mayo", oh well I started out good I think, the 50 cal on my log from the mayo is like a black eye.

What have you guys found to be filling and healthy in your subways trips?

Replies

• Davidsalthouse
    Options
    Well, I am having an insane week. I have been eating out a lot to save time. Today I went to subway for lunch, keep in mind I am the king of mayo, cheese, chips and those tasty cookies.

6 Inch Grilled Chicken on Wheat with Lettuce, tomato, green peppers, cucumbers, black pepper.
    I tried to get low fat Italian dressing but they didn't have it and I ended up falling for their "lite Mayo", oh well I started out good I think, the 50 cal on my log from the mayo is like a black eye.

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I think you did great! next goal is to go for mustard instead of mayo. Mustard is a 'free food' on WW, and is prefered condiment for obvious reasons! Definitely adding all those 'free' extra veggies is the way to bulk up and stay low in calories. I go without anything on my sandwiches - everyone says that it is too dry that way, but I don't find that to be true at all. Good work today!!!
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to go out to eat and then try to log my calories when I got home but I found it to difficult to determine the portions that I was served so the only way that I feel comfortable is to eat at home where I can mesure and weigh everything accurately.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i go for veggie w/ every veggie possible with vinegar and a tiny bit of oil that way i can have cheese, sometimes i get a turkey made the same way lots of veggies and some S&P for more flovar.

whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE TUNA!!! 700 CAL :grumble:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I eat ham and turkey... on whole wheat.. extra lettuce tom green peppers.. and mustard... YUMMY and filling..
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    Oh man, same here. I go for veggies on wheat. Extra spinach, lettuce, onions, olives, carrots, green peppers, etc. I love it. Add some pepper and lite ranch and i'm all over it
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    There are several good options at Subway I think. Stick to lean meets and have one, calories rocket when you get fancy with 2 kinds of meat. Load up on veggies, esp ones that hold water bc they'll moisten up the sandwich and keep you full. When it comes to dressing and cheese, you have to choose one or the other. If you're a cheese person, get your sub toasted so the melted cheese adds different texture and keeps the sandwich from being dry. If you opt for no cheese, go for the red wine vinagerette, oil & vinegar, or another low-fat dressing. Watch how much they put on though, bc its way more than 2 tbsp!

When I'm eating out in general I like to check the calories in a few meals before I go. Subway's website has a nutrition section and you can play around and find the lowest calorie satisfying sub. A lot of resturaunts have nutritional info online, but if not this website does. My person fav for calories though is calorieking.com. I look at some things before I go out so I know what my low calorie options are before I even look at all that other stuff and its easier to make a good choice.
  • josovi
    josovi Posts: 13
    Options
    Same here with all the extra veggies and lite ranch... I like mine toasted:wink:
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I love Subway!
    I usually get turkey on wheat and all of the veggies that can be piled on. I stay away from the stuff that adds the calories/fat.

Do you know that there are less calories in the bread than in their wraps??
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    I always order the wraps. Are they any better then just ordering the wheat bread??
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I always order the wraps. Are they any better then just ordering the wheat bread??

Queenofcrazzy is right. I used to get the wraps thinking I was doing so good. And then after joining MFP I saw that the wrap has more calories than the bread. And the bread is more filling!!
    If you are going to eat subway skip the wraps.
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Serious! No poop?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken is one of the best choices i dont get mayo and sometimes I will suck it up and not get cheese... The oil is my weakness lol.
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Okay, here I am eating veggie, no cheese, no sauce wraps.... thinkin' I'm being healthy. Subway *kitten*
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yep, tricky tricky, just get the same thing on wheat bread and you will be doing even better.
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always thought that was dumb about the wraps being more calories but a few years ago people used to think that eating bagels and cream cheese was healthy!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I love the chicken fajita on wheat bread. I load it up with tons of veggies. I do get provolone cheese (when available) on it. I also get a small amount of chipotle southwest sauce and mustard.

I also love the veggie on wheat but I have to get it with cheese and the same sauces as above, cause for me it's kinda blah without them.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love roast beef on wheat, no cheese. I get lots of bannana peppers to give it some zing!
  • RunFasterMommy
    Options
    I love Subway but unlike most... sometimes a 6" just doesn't fill me up - and I never get chips or extras.. I LOVE the foot long chicken breast sandwiches - I get them with all the veggies, mustard, and sweet onion sauce -- THEN - I open the sandwich and eat just the meat and veggies -- like a salad -- the bread is the bowl and I toss it. Sometimes I'll have just a bit, but the meat and all the veggies is what fills me up.

I used to get the chicken breast salad, but for $7 - one piece of chicken and not a lot of salad, I opted for the cheaper $5 version of the salad.... get the sub and make your own.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love Subway but unlike most... sometimes a 6" just doesn't fill me up - and I never get chips or extras.. I LOVE the foot long chicken breast sandwiches - I get them with all the veggies, mustard, and sweet onion sauce -- THEN - I open the sandwich and eat just the meat and veggies -- like a salad -- the bread is the bowl and I toss it. Sometimes I'll have just a bit, but the meat and all the veggies is what fills me up.

I used to get the chicken breast salad, but for $7 - one piece of chicken and not a lot of salad, I opted for the cheaper $5 version of the salad.... get the sub and make your own.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great idea!!! I will do that in my next visit. :flowerforyou: