Identifing with your new body

Options
I have lost about 21lbs and my goal is to ultimately lose 70ibs. more. However, I don't know why exactly but I feel uneasy about it because I guess I've got comfortable in this cubby body. It's been at least 10 yrs. since I've been at a healthy weight. I'm just wondering if anyone else went thru this and how do you identify with your new image??

Replies

• thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss so far, you're doing great! I can relate to adjusting to a lower weight, but I don't feel ever like it's a bad thing- I was never actually comfortable when I was much heavier, so I'm just starting to feel comfortable in my own skin again, although I definitely still have body issues. I remember a couple months ago being excited to pull out some smaller sized summer clothes from years ago that I loved and stashed away for when I was "less overweight", and was actually really disappointed that they were all too big for me! I feel like I "missed" the window of opportunity to wear them again :-) But in the end, I'm ok with that!

It will take adjusting, and while it's the physical weight loss that we all focus on, the mental part is the biggest challenge! You will become happier and happier the more weight you lost, and you won't miss your old chubby body anymore :-)

I say to embrace your new body and do what I did when I started questioning myself- go shopping and buy a couple of cute articles of clothing so you can show yourself that you're on the right track, and will feel better about yourself by possibly fitting into smaller clothing!!

Good luck, and keep up your great weight loss progress!!
  • oklagirl
    oklagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks so much for the encouragement it really helps. Yes, I think definitely the mental part has been difficult but I think your right I will start to enjoy my new body and not miss the old one..again thanks!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds and have been in maintenance for over 3 months now. It's still difficult for me sometimes to come to terms with my new body. My mil has also recently lost weight, due to cancer, and just this morning as we were clothes shopping she said that she's having a hard time getting used to the new her. She feels very self conscious now, even though she's still at the lower end of a healthy range for her height.

I love how I look now, but I still have to fight the urge to wear baggy clothes and 'hide' myself. I also get more attention now that I'm thinner (compliments etc) and that's really hard for me to deal with since I'm really shy IRL.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds and have been in maintenance for over 3 months now. It's still difficult for me sometimes to come to terms with my new body. My mil has also recently lost weight, due to cancer, and just this morning as we were clothes shopping she said that she's having a hard time getting used to the new her. She feels very self conscious now, even though she's still at the lower end of a healthy range for her height.

I love how I look now, but I still have to fight the urge to wear baggy clothes and 'hide' myself. I also get more attention now that I'm thinner (compliments etc) and that's really hard for me to deal with since I'm really shy IRL.

Has being in maintenance been harder for you than losing? My doctor told me to stop when my weight fell below 120 lbs. I told him I don't know how to wrap my head around not constantly thinking I should lose weight. I don't know how to be thin.

As my weight decreased, I was still picking out clothes in larger sizes. When I got to a size six, I spotted a cute pair of jeans but they looked so tiny I knew they'd not make it past my hips. It was a proud moment when they fit, but a strange one, too. As I said, I just don't know how to be thin, but I like it. :)