Where are the results?

Options
I started my weightloss journey a few months ago. First I made sure I ate right, because I was having some eh bad eating habits (junkfood, "didn't like veggies", wasn't drinking enough...) But to be honest, my body didn't really change after this backflip of my lifestyle.. I still don't know why. Sure, I lost some weight (and inches) but I thought my results would be better..

I also started Insanity lately, since I wanted to have that perfect body you see in pictures and I thought working out would be good for me. There are a few weeks of Insanity left and I just don't have the results I wanted. I mean I was inspired by the before and after pictures, so it feels like a big fail when my results won't even come close..

So, are the before and after pictures not realistic or is there something wrong with me? I want that sixpack.... :(

Replies

• Hetailin
    Hetailin Posts: 27
    Options
    Hello~~
    As far as Insanity goes- how long have you been doing Insanity?
    Also, I know for me, just changing my diet doesnt show results. I had to start exercising often. I dont like exercising, but I lost a lot of weight when I exercised everyday. I also ate mostly fresh vegetables/ fruits, very little fats and carbs, and drank a lot of tea and water. It's hard to keep up that sort of diet and exercise regiment, but I lost about 3 lbs per week. I hit another plateau, so im going to start this diet/exercise routine again.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Difficult to say without knowing more...

* Are you/were you overweight? If so, you need a calorie deficit as well as exercise to see results (just cutting out junk isn't enough if you are still eating too much)
    * What is it you want? Definition? Weight loss? Inch loss? Did you measure all these at the beginning so you could see a difference? Taking pictures before and after helps to get a true picture of your progress.
    * Most fitness programmes have a disclaimer in the small print stating that "Results shown are not typical", i.e. few people get such drastic results.
    * Has your overall fitness changed? Try doing one of the first sessions you did and see if you are still as tired, have more endurance etc.
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would not base my results on 'pictures'. Depending on your body type, genetics, etc. you may have set a goal that you cannot attain. You have to remember that many pics are shopped, even some fitness ones. I would love to have a six-pack myself but I know the reality is that it won't happen for me. The bigger questions are how do you feel, how is you're energy level, etc. If you can give positive answers to those, then you're headed in the right direction.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I'm with SRH7, it's not to say that programs like Insanity can't be effective but they all do seem to have the same tendency of building extremely high expectations. The other point that they touched is also very valid; what was your starting point? If you weren't overweight just making a minor dietary change isn't going to give you the results you seem to want overnight. As mentioned, portion control is key, however, you might also consider that if you weren't over-consuming before, your baseline metabolism was already lower than most weight-loss seekers. If this is the case you'll probably have to work a little harder and make your dietary changes bigger to see more visible results. In general, I think if you want to go from mild-moderately in shape to chiseled, that's going to take a little more effort than swapping in some extra veggies, probably to the extent of cutting down on carbs considerably, if not cutting them completely out, and sticking to fresh fruits/veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins.

One thing I've noticed in the 18 months I've been using MFP is that there are days when I'll hit my calories but my distribution may skew a little carb-heavy and I don't feel like I had a good day and there are others when I'll be a few hundred over but was still under my carbs limit and feel great.

I'm not super familiar with Insanity but the impression i get is that it's pretty cardio/plyometrics intensive, which is great for cutting fat and toning. However, it sounds like you're looking for more strength and definition; you might just want to try something that fits your goals a little better.
  • InsanityArmy
    Options
    I have never been overweight. I'm just more curved than I should be (or want to be). I don't eat much, just small plates. I think I just gain weight even though I don't eat that much.

I started Insanity because I wanted to lose some weight and a few inches. Just want to fit medium-size clothing.. I also need to get fit. I was out of breath pretty fast before I was working out. I stept on the scale before I started, took some pictures and I checked my measurements.

There is some progress. I mean I can't keep up with Tanya and all those other fitnessmachines, but I'm not dying during the workouts. When I just started I couldn't even do one single push-up, now I can do 15.

It's just hard. I'm trying so hard and it's pretty dissapointing when expectations won't meet reality..