Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I've been seeing alot of posts where people are recommending HRM's. Which ones are you guys using and why? Just looking for a little help picking one out. It seems my workout machines and MFP have a discrepancy and I would like to see for myself with the HRM. Thanks!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Im close to buying one and have seen alot of other posts, and have done my own research. Many people are suggesting the Polar line, I beleive the F7 model (I know there is a "7" in the model number suggested, think that is right). A decent one isn't cheap, but some have suggested Amazon as a good resource.
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    I just invested in a Polar FT 60, but only because I got a discount when I signed up for the gym. I was going to get a Polar F7, which is a simpler model but still does a lot and comes with a comfortable strap (as does the 60) and you can change the battery without having to send it in. The Polar F7 runs about $90 or so.

I can't believe I waited so long to get a HRM, I think if I had gotten one before I wouldn't have plateaued for so long, given up, and gained weight! It tells me I am burning more calories than I thought per MFP (and I know it is more accurate because it knows my height, weight, resting heart rate,etc.) But then yesterday I was really tired and even though I felt like I couldn't work out anymore, I looked at my heart rate and it was in the 120s and realized I really wasn't pushing myself very hard.

So I definitely recommend heart rate monitors, you can see truly how hard (or not hard in my case yesterday) you are working, take credit for those calories burned!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Polar is a good brand. I have had 2 Ekho's that have been pretty good, though my current one has a glitch in the calculation which means I have to double the cal burn it tells me, unless I'm doing straight walking/biking. Kinda annoying, but I believe it was just a problem w/ a particular batch, and I chose to just keep it and make the adjustment myself.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm using the PolarF7 and I love it! Like lutzsher said, I got mine off of amazon for a lot cheaper than store price. Still a bit pricey (85, I believe) but it was so worth it!
    You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when compared to the machine readings at the gym, and it's nice for when you are working out outside!
    Hope this helps :smile: