Enjoy Foods You Love Without Cheating

Options
Some wise words from Jillian Michaels:
http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/enjoy-foods-you-love-without-cheating

Also, please feel free to check out the Facebook group I created, to keep myself motivated and to help motivate others:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=268180696780

So many helpful, positive encouraging people here on MFP and in the Facebook group, Motivation. We CAN do this!! :)

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy them, who says its cheating?
  • decemberg
    Options
    I agree. I don't "diet". I have a way of life that incorporates about 95% healthy eating and the other 5% I eat anything I want when I go out to eat. I don't keep the unhealthy foods in my house because they can cause temptation. If you are craving a burger...go out and have one....but don't do it every day! You have to live life and it has to be a life change. If you eat brown rice & chicken breast to lose weight what is going to happen when you are done losing weight? You go back to "normal" eating and then you gain it all back.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Some people consider it cheating, especially when they vow to not have a certain food once they've decided to get fit, lose weight, etc., and then binge on it at some point after that. I just enjoy them in moderation myself, without feeling guilt, but it hasn't always been that way for me. Huge sense of guilt and failure in the past when I'd "cheat" and eat something unhealthy. Many others are still in that mindset. So, I figured I'd share Jillian's wise words on the subject, for those who may need them. :)
  • jrich1
    Options
    Some people consider it cheating, especially when they vow to not have a certain food once they've decided to get fit, lose weight, etc., and then binge on it at some point after that. I just enjoy them in moderation myself, without feeling guilt, but it hasn't always been that way for me. Huge sense of guilt and failure in the past when I'd "cheat" and eat something unhealthy. Many others are still in that mindset. So, I figured I'd share Jillian's wise words on the subject, for those who may need them. :)

and restricting foods you want = you are on a diet you cant stick too and you wont lose weight.
  • jrich1
    Options
    I agree. I don't "diet". I have a way of life that incorporates about 95% healthy eating and the other 5% I eat anything I want when I go out to eat. I don't keep the unhealthy foods in my house because they can cause temptation. If you are craving a burger...go out and have one....but don't do it every day! You have to live life and it has to be a life change. If you eat brown rice & chicken breast to lose weight what is going to happen when you are done losing weight? You go back to "normal" eating and then you gain it all back.

or find a heathier way to make a burger :wink: 93/7 beef a decent burger is maybe 300 cals with the bun and even less if you just eat it on lettuce
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options

or find a heathier way to make a burger :wink: 93/7 beef a decent burger is maybe 300 cals with the bun and even less if you just eat it on lettuce

I believe that was another point in the article -- find healthier alternatives to the things you enjoy most. Deprivation = failure in the diet/exercise/health/fitness world. However, if you can find healthier alternatives such as the burger one you mentioned, and the ice cream & chips ones that Jillian suggested, then deprivation isn't an issue. :)
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    This is a very important part of my own plan. I do not want to deny myself anything. I look at the package, check the serving size, log the calories, and enjoy it in my overall plan for the day. One thing I do deny myself, and I do not miss, is artificial sugar. It seems to have "pulled" my sweet tooth. So, I can eat a half cup of ice cream and really enjoy it. The rest of my plan is very healthy, so, I continue to loose weight. And it blows my mind.
  • jrich1
    Options

I believe that was another point in the article -- find healthier alternatives to the things you enjoy most. Deprivation = failure in the diet/exercise/health/fitness world. However, if you can find healthier alternatives such as the burger one you mentioned, and the ice cream & chips ones that Jillian suggested, then deprivation isn't an issue. :)

Yup that is biggest for me, find something you like and find the best and heathiest way to make it so I dont have to go without, I also plan less good stuff that I like around heavy workouts so I burn the cals off anyway
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    This is a very important part of my own plan. I do not want to deny myself anything. I look at the package, check the serving size, log the calories, and enjoy it in my overall plan for the day. One thing I do deny myself, and I do not miss, is artificial sugar. It seems to have "pulled" my sweet tooth. So, I can eat a half cup of ice cream and really enjoy it. The rest of my plan is very healthy, so, I continue to loose weight. And it blows my mind.

Ohh artificial sweeteners are terrible!! I stay away from them as much as I possibly can. There are natural alternatives to regular granulated sugar that are so much healthier than the artificial varieties. :) Anyway, it sounds like you're doing a great job on the whole moderation thing -- congrats!! :)
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options

Yup that is biggest for me, find something you like and find the best and heathiest way to make it so I dont have to go without, I also plan less good stuff that I like around heavy workouts so I burn the cals off anyway

Exactly!! There's no need to EVER deny yourself or starve yourself in an effort to get healthy or lose weight. That's just not... well... healthy! LoL. :)
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thaks for sharing this link! It makes me feel a lot better as I enjoy a soft pretzel that I was SOOO craving this morning! LOL
    Even though it's not the best, it won't ruin my day because I will still be able to eat other healthy and delicious foods to keep my under my calorie goal :smile:
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Thaks for sharing this link! It makes me feel a lot better as I enjoy a soft pretzel that I was SOOO craving this morning! LOL
    Even though it's not the best, it won't ruin my day because I will still be able to eat other healthy and delicious foods to keep my under my calorie goal :smile:

You're very welcome!! I hope you very much enjoyed the soft pretzel -- just as you deserve! ;) BTW, I LOVE the quote in your signature line! :)
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Last night I had dark chocolate covered cranberries for a snack. 11 of them. It was a lot, more than I would have thought.

It worked out to 95 calories, or so sayeth the nutritional information label.

I figure the bag will last me quite a while, 11 cranberries at a time.

I can handle this.

Mirii
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Last night I had dark chocolate covered cranberries for a snack. 11 of them. It was a lot, more than I would have thought.

It worked out to 95 calories, or so sayeth the nutritional information label.

I figure the bag will last me quite a while, 11 cranberries at a time.

I can handle this.

Mirii

Oh gosh, those sound soooo yummy! I love cranberries and dark chocolate both! I also love your positive attitude. Good job! :)