Get hungry quickly unless I eat starchy things

Options
shezzzzz
shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
Anyone else have this problem?

I have my macros set to 40C 30P 30F a 1700 Cals. I usually go over on my carbs and fat, and under on my protein.

Part of the trouble is that if I have just veggies and meat as a meal, I feel very hungry 30 minutes later, no matter how large a portion I have. If I have a starch with it (bread, pasta, potatoes), I will be full for a lot longer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• shezzzzz
    Options
    Anyone?
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    maybe, if you don't already, try instead of whiterice / bread/ whatever try eating whole carbs, they should keep you fuller, also nuts and almonds will keep your hunger at bay easily
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just started a low carb diet (only on day 3 now) which means no startchy things and I am stuffed at the end of the day only eating 1400- 1600 calories. I was hungry all the time when I was eating breads, pastas, and potatoes, having to struggle trying to stay below 2200 calories. read about glycemic index and blood sugar spikes you may have your blood sugar on a roller coaster ride causing you to feel hungry. Just a theory I am far from an expert.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing. And that is if I eat whole grains. I am curious as to what others say.
  • shezzzzz
    Options
    When I do eat grains, I do stick to 100% whole wheat / multi grain bread and pasta. I don't eat much rice, but when I do it is brown about 50% of the time.

I enjoy eating grains, but find it hard to keep carbs under 200 g/ day when I do
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I absolutely must have carbs in my diet. I just stick to whole grain wheat and oatmeal as my carb choices most of the time. I do not have any issues with gluten at all and feel much better if I include whole grains in my diet.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Usually I feel pretty full with meat and veggies, but I like to throw in a potato or some rice periodically. It works better for me than bread/pasta. You can still have a starch with dinner and keep it fairly low carb if that is what you want to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So eat your whole grains and starches...there's nothing wrong with them. I eat potatoes and corn and oats and quinoa and rice and, etc, etc, etc...nothing wrong with those things. What is important is that you meet your calorie goals. Your macro goals are really secondary.
  • shezzzzz
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I get so concerned about doing it "right", which may not be "right" for me.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you are really curious, I bet that testing your blood sugar levels before and in intervals after the low carb vs. high carb meals would give you some good information to work with.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I am exactly the same - I'm mainly super hungry on an evening if I don't have starch in my evening meal.

So I make sure I eat brown roce, pasta, bread or potatoes with my evening meals because if I don't I can guarantee ill be raiding te cupboards for sweets, crisps, crackers etc.

I plan it into the day because if I don't ill do badly.

I don't think you should feel bad of your progressing
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber helps.
    I'm usually at 40-50g of fiber per day, keeps me pretty full.

Make sure to gradually increase it to avoid bloating. :wink:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem till I switched to an almost zero carbs diet for a few weeks and then eased back into the whole grains. I now do not have that issue. In my opinion it is a psychological issue. It is all in our heads.
  • stepyogameup
    Options
    Eat more fats. Add butter to your meat & veggies dish. Or coconut oil, olive oil... If you absolutely need it, a potato will help to make your meal more filling!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When did potatoes become the devil?

- Excellent source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, potassium, manganese, and fiber

- phenolic content rivals that of broccoli, spinach, and brussels sprouts, and includes flavonoids with protective activity against cardiovascular disease, respiratory problems and certain cancers.

- quercetin and kukoamines which are blood pressure lowering compounds

There are numerous health benefits of the potato...it just gets a bad rap because it is a starchy carbs and carbs are the latest and greatest boogie man on the block...