How long has it taken you to lose your weight?

Options

Replies

• haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 lbs in about 3.5 months. Changing the workouts up really helps. Even though I weigh myself daily, the scale does not always budge & that's when I go to my closet to try on the smaller size clothes to see how close I am to looking great in 'em. I eat only a small portion of my workout calories normally, yet sometimes I eat almost all of them. This is a lifestyle change, something that I can stick with past reaching my goal. As time goes by, it is getting harder to burn the same calories as once before, since my heart is getting stronger.

Stick with it, don't lose hope. You'll get to your goal, if you don't quit. <3
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Look up images on the internet of "5lbs of fat" and you will be plesantly surprised by how much it actually is. And then think of how you lost 2 more pounds that that!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I started in july 2010, I have lost 114 lbs, but the last 6 months has been pretty much maintenance only losing a few lbs maybe 6, so I guess it took me 2 1/2 yrs, pretty slow, the important thing is that you stick with it, not how long it takes. If you are hungry add 100-200 cals and see if it helps. Congrats on your weight loss so far
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rather discouraged lately as I dont see the weight coming off as quickly as I had hoped. Today will mark the 20th day that I have been on roughly 1200 calories, and trying to get as much exercise as I can. I usually ride my bike for about 30-45 minues a day and the bike doesnt have gears so its quite the workout for me. I also try to walk as much as I can, the problem is that I am a bank teller so I spend most of my days either sitting or standing for eight hours a day. I have only lost about 7 pounds, and i am starving, I dont know that else I can do to make the weight come off. I know that you are only reccomended to lose 2 lbs a week, and that means its going to be a slow process. My starting weight was 186, current weight 179, goal weight it 140, and im roughly 5'7''. Im wondering if those who lost over 20lbs, how long did it take you, and should I be doing something differently?

You're hungry because your body is begging you to feed it! There's all the difference in the world between fancying a snack, wanting the taste of some food you love, and needing more calories. 1200 calories is too low for many people, and you're burning more with your exercise. I suggest you add a couple of hundred more calories of nutritious food and see how you do. As many people have said, this isn't a race and you need to be a winner over the long term. You've made an absolutely fantastic start, but if you try to keep up that rate of loss you'll lose fitness instead of gaining it.

I've been eating healthily and deliberately exercising more for 16 months and have lost 69lbs. Just can't seem to get to that 70lbs marker, BUT I WILL! :-) I keep on keeping on and don't stress about small things, concentrate on the positive.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough I have the same stats and I'm on 1550cals I'm coming up to two years but I've lost 170lbs :)
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing excellent!!! I lost 60 lbs in 6 months which is roughly 2 lbs a week. All together ive lost about 65 lbs and its been a year now. I still have more to lose, but it starts to really slow down. So dont worry I am positive youre doing fine. Just try eating more.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've only lost twelve pounds over about three months. Most of it came off in one big chunk, and I've been floating around the same couple pounds for a couple weeks, though my inches are shrinking.

Honestly, I think it's different for everyone and depends on how you are approaching it. Don't get discouraged. Anything you are doing is helping, you just need to stick with it.

In the same boat.....guess we need to just keep rowing.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It took me 9 mos on MFP to lose 55 lbs & I'm 6 mos into maintenance phase now and still here logging :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, and it took me about six months go to from 140 to 120.
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I began my journey to lose weight last december, and even though I stopped for a while (say 1months 1/2 ), I'll say, that losing 26 pounds took me 5 months or something, so approximately 21 weeks, 26 lbs in 21 weeks, that's an average loss of 1.2 lbs a week, so that's a good loss.
    Don't worry, you're impatient at first, but you will learn to know your body, to indulge when you should, and exercise extra hard when you need to ! It will come naturally ! :)
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    I dropped 65 lbs in 2 months eating normal (no more pizza for every meal) and lifting 7 days a week. Cardio (running 1 mile) was done every other day, with 20 mins of HIIT on Friday mornings (30 sec sprint 1 min walk).
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hmm...

You are losing at a fairly fast rate (more appropriate for a very obese person) and undereating. This is why you are starving... because you are.

I would suggest either eating a more to fuel your workout, or work out less... plus adjust your expectations.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    43 pounds lost since Jan 2012- it is a turtles pace sometimes but is happening so I should not complain. I get frustrated but I persevere. Be patient with yourself- you want it be for real this time. And whatever you do the day before you are done you will have to do the day after- so it really should not matter how long it takes.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough I have the same stats and I'm on 1550cals I'm coming up to two years but I've lost 170lbs :)

This! Please figure out your TDEE-20%-35% and stick to it...that will be a healthy weight loss! :)
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    I've lost 15lbs in the last 3 and a half months... I've messed up a few times or it would have been more.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 lbs in 4 1/2 months. It's slow going and that was something I had to come to terms with when I started. It took years for me to put the weight on and it's not going to come off overnight.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I dropped 65 lbs in 2 months eating normal (no more pizza for every meal) and lifting 7 days a week. Cardio (running 1 mile) was done every other day, with 20 mins of HIIT on Friday mornings (30 sec sprint 1 min walk).
    That is pretty crazy - did you have a lot to lose??
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs in 150 days and I'm totally happy with that :happy:
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds in just one week shy of four months. I eat no more than 1400 calories per day and I do not eat my exercise calories back. The reason I do not eat my exercise calories back is because it is impossible to know for sure how many calories I've burned and also because nutrition labels are not always entirely correct. I go to the gym 5-6 days per week. While I am there, I do 30 minutes of cardio that focuses on toning my legs, thighs and butt. So, I walk on the treadmill at an incline or use the arc trainer at an incline. I spend 40-50 minutes on weights and ab work (including resting between sets). I use machines and dumbbells. I am 5'4". Starting weight was 222 pounds and I currently weigh 184 pounds.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 20 days is great! It has taken me 5 months to lose just 7 lbs! I keep to around 1300 calories, eating alot healthier and workout 2-3 times a week (which probably isn't enough). I blame it on my age but every 'body' will be different. You're doing great!! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.