Diurex and TOM

Options
So I bought some Diurex. For TOM bloating. I've never used it before, but has anyone had good results with it and not gaing weight during TOM??

Replies

• SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Be careful, muscle spasms are common with Diurex (as well as irregular heart beats).

If you work out try Fem Fire. My number one favorite work out supplement. Pretty amazing stuff and no loss of minerals because it supplements electrolytes and vitamins B's which make you feel even better during that TOM...just don't over dose, use exactly as directed

You can get it at the NutriShop if you have one near you.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Diurex can be pretty dangerous, especially if you don't drink enough. Basically it makes you pee a lot and if you're already holding water due to a high sodium level losing even more water can be really bad for your blood-sodium level. If you're taking diuretics just to avoid seeing a spike on the scale during your TOM you'd be better off just hiding the scale. Don't take a potentially harmful drug to avoid something that will fix itself in a couple of days.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    but isnt it something they give people to help with swelling also?
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a lb or two the week before TOM, I just chalk it up to that. When it is over I weigh less than what i gained. I wouldn't take anything for the bloating, instead just accept that it will happen.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options
    Generally no, it's a diuretic.. it releases extra water in the body by flushing it out through the kidneys and bladder. For swelling either an NSAID or other anti-inflammatory would be used.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    it says caffeine is the main ingredient and thats what may cause heart irregularity, and that alot of peeing is the only other theing thats a common side effect. Hmm...I dont know
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    Generally no, it's a diuretic.. it releases extra water in the body by flushing it out through the kidneys and bladder. For swelling either an NSAID or other anti-inflammatory would be used.

my moms dr put her on a low sodium diet and a diuretic for swelling. I'm so confused
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Funny but I was told LONG ago to drink more water during my TOM and that would flush me out and keep me from being so bloated during TOM and it works girl! I drink water like crazy during my TOM and it helps, but that is just me.
    So I bought some Diurex. For TOM bloating. I've never used it before, but has anyone had good results with it and not gaing weight during TOM??
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options

my moms dr put her on a low sodium diet and a diuretic for swelling. I'm so confused

There are different types of diuretics. If she has edema then perhaps they would have put her on one, but you didn't ask about medically prescribed ones. You asked about drug store branded diuretics, which in my personal opinion are a waste of money especially marketed for "period" use.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Don't take it. It can potentially be dangerous. Without knowing your starting kidney function, your sodium and electrolyte levels etc etc etc you can cause some problems.

yes, diuretics are given to people to get rid of swelling, ie lasix. Lasix is a loop diuretic which should be monitored because it depletes your body of electrolytes....sodium potassium magnessium etc. this is usually given for various cardiac reason that cause the peripheral system to retain fluid.

I don't recommend taking diurex for menstrual related swelling.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options
    This is solid advice.. drinking lots of water (Half your body weight in ounces) a day is the best way to avoid water retention, along with a low sodium diet.
    Funny but I was told LONG ago to drink more water during my TOM and that would flush me out and keep me from being so bloated during TOM and it works girl! I drink water like crazy during my TOM and it helps, but that is just me.
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I swell really bad during TOM , like gain 10 pounds of water in that week , so I went to the doctor , they gave me Lasix which is a water pill , also make you come back to check your blood work every so often , it was up to me if I wanted to take it everyday of the month or just during TOM , I said everyday , so i got a months worth with a yr rx for it , it helps me . I would talk to your doctor so they can watch you make sure your okay , we want to loss the weight but we also want to do it safely.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just drink a lot of water and avoid high sodium foods during that time of month and just before. I would not take a diuretic just to avoid a bit of a gain once a month - after all, it's going to be gone the next week and isn't lasting weight.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    Thanks-It works for me :)
    This is solid advice.. drinking lots of water (Half your body weight in ounces) a day is the best way to avoid water retention, along with a low sodium diet.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    This is exactly what I was told and it works!
    Just drink a lot of water and avoid high sodium foods during that time of month and just before. I would not take a diuretic just to avoid a bit of a gain once a month - after all, it's going to be gone the next week and isn't lasting weight.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I was on 2 water pills for 10 years for high blood pressure along with another med. my Dr. just took me off of 1 last week and lowered the other one, my problem now is the last time my Dr. took me off of it I gained 7 lbs in 1 week, it is also my TOM so I am very scared as to what I will gain, I used to drink extra water during my TOM and still lose 2 lbs, but not so sure this month. Just don't know what to do
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are too many risks associated with Diurex to make it worth it. I have a problem with a lot of bloating during that time too, and to curb that I follow what most people have already said: avoid low sodium foods and drink water! I also drink lots of green tea and eat fruits with high water content, like pineapple. Delicious AND effective!