Asparagus spicing ideas please!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ccoffing
    ccoffing Posts: 2
    Options
    I say stick them on the grill with any spices and you get a whole different taste and texture.
  • becran94
    becran94 Posts: 3
    Options
    Roast them in a little olive oil until desired tenderness, and then add some balsamic vinegar for taste. I hate asparagus until I tried it cooked this way!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Spanish or Hungarian pimenton (with asparagus I prefer either a hot or a bitter variety) tossed with olive oil and a bit of black pepper, then grilled or roasted. The pimenton really kicks it up a notch and is so easy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    side note, I get all my spices from www.myspicesage.com. They are reasonably priced and always fresh, unlike the stuff you get from the store. If anything give the website a look and see what kind of seasonings you could put on your asparagus and build from there.

I agree about My Spice Sage (love their freebies), also Spicy World (which sells on Amazon), Penzeys, etc. Also, I give some hints on getting spices on my blog: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/03/06/travel-to-exotic-places-like-cincinnati-and-buy-spices/

Now, as to asparagus, consider nutmeg. A recipe came down from my great grandmother for an asparagus stew that's loaded with the stuff. Here's the recipe: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/03/29/only-for-asparagus-lovers-spargel-ragout/
  • hisirishwench
    Options
    I like to drizzle with olive oil and fresh garlic, let marinate for an hour, throw on grill in veggie grilling pan. Turn to evenly cook and if needed spread a little more oil/garlic on them - I like to do a slow cook so they don't burn. Take of grill when ready to serve squirt a little lemon on them and enjoy.

when I was down at the Cape this spring we found this company http://www.gustareoliveoil.com I purchased the tuscan herb infused oil it is great. I use a very small amount when grilling my veggies such as onions & peppers it gives them a nice touch. I also purchased the dark chocolate infused balsamic vinegar and the pomegranate infused vinegar. :wink:
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I toss with a little olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Roast in a 400 degree oven on a sheet pan for about 15 minutes, then toss with lemon zest and a little juice. A little parm sprinkled on won't hurt either. Sometimes I grill them too, then finish the same way.
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have never ever ever been a fan of asparagus.... HOWEVER... the one way that i enjoy asparagus is lightly tossed with olive oil and sea salt, and cooked up on the grill.. that little charry taste, yum!
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I roast veggies I generally use salt, fresh ground pepper, and either Penzey's Herds de Provence or Fox Point.

YUMMY STUFF! (works great on califlower too)
  • mark1978mark
    mark1978mark Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and lemon pepper roasted!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I make mock Hollandase sauce. Light mayo, lemon, and light butter. OMG I can eat an entire lb in one sitting...

I found some salt and vingear seasoning the other day that I use for Spinach that I might try on it as well.

Love LOVE asparagus even if it makes your pee smell funny lol
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I cook in cajun spices!!! YUMMM
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I turn on the grill....put some EVOO on some tin foil...lay down the asparagus...add generous amounts of dill and mrs dash original...sometimes garlic as well....close the tin foil and put on grill. Love getting some char marks and the flavor is great. melt in your mouth great.
  • RedSkinFox
    RedSkinFox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Old bay + olive oil
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I never knew I liked asparagus until I saw my family all gathered around the bbq and just grabbing pieces of it and before I knew it there was barely any left!! I thought, I better try this stuff...they couldn't resist it, neither could I. It was delicious!!

Roast it on foil on the bbq with Italian dressing (roasted red pepper is my fav) topped with parmesan cheese until it is cooked to your desired taste..

MMMmmmmm I think I will need to stop at the store on my way home!! Enjoy! And thanks to your post, I now have several other ways to try it!! Thanks!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like it simply with extra virgin olive oil and abit of salt & pepper put on a cookie and sheet and in the oven. Yum Yum Yum
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Browned Butter Asparagus:

1 bunch asparagus
    1-2tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)

Lay the asparagus out flat on a baking sheet (that has raised sides)
    Coat with a thin layer of olive oil (I use a small basting brush to spread evenly and use as little as possible)
    Sea salt and pepper to taste
    Bake @ 400F for 12-15 minutes (depending on how big your asparagus are, and how crunchy you like them)
    While baking, heat the butter in a small sauce pan until it browns slightly (goes from a clear very light yellow to a more warm slightly brown/yellow)
    Remove from heat
    Stir in balsamic vinegar and soy sauce.
    Drizzle over hot asparagus right on the baking sheet (this is why it must have sides)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Roasted Asparagus with Orange Juice

•1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
    •1 tablespoon olive oil
    •1/2 cup orange juice
    •2 garlic cloves, minced
    •1 teaspoon poppy seeds
    •1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
    •Place asparagus in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over asparagus; toss to coat.
    • Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutritional Facts 3/4 cup equals 63 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I love this!
    Season your asparagus with any seasoning you like... I prefer spicy
    then BBQ it so yummy and crunchy my favorite part about this is make sure you have left overs.
    Next day cut it up and put in some soy sauces sesame seeds, oyster sauce (if that is your thing)
    and any other spices you like and there you go an amazing easy 5 mins quick lunch for tomorrow.
    So yummy.