KT Tape ... anyone have reviews of this?

Options
I have been seeing this KT tape used instead of braces by alot Olympic & Crossfit Athletes. Since this stuff is expensive, I am curious about any reviews from ppl probably not recieving promo endorsements

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump* I'm curious about this. I have a hard time finding braces for my knee because my legs are kind of big.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_therapeutic_tape
    There is no scientific evidence that elastic therapeutic taping produces clinically significant benefits. A 2012 systematic review found that the efficacy of kinesiology tape in pain relief was trivial given that no studies found clinically important results.

Having said that, there are some members of my tri club (who's opinions I generally respect) who swear by the stuff. Placebo effect or just not enough studies?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    what is kt tape?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sorry I know it.

I have used it on my calves and hammers, however it was applied by a chartered physiotherapists, don;t think its simply a matter of sticking it on
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    what is kt tape?

kinesiology tape
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I use it a fair amount. Not sure if it really helps, but I feel better (placebo effect). I'd only recommend it for pulls and strains type stuff, not for someone looking for a true knee brace like product. I use it primarily on my strained calf and sore achilles
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I used it when running a marathon for bad shin splints... I feel like it helped me for sure, but I also took some time off of running before the race, so that might have been even more beneficial.

I think if you have a slight strain or minor injury it probably helps a little bit, but isn't something I would use for moderate or severe injuries.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love it, but it's not a matter of just sticking it on. I have been to conferences and instructed on how to apply it correctly by folks who have extended education on the matter and would still not feel 100% applying myself. Kind of strange to see it for sale just sitting on a shelf. Just cutting it is an art form and exercise in patience.
  • faithsomemore
    Options
    I am a Massage Therapist and believe in Kinesio Tape. Here is a link about how it works.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30089-kinesio-tape-work/
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have had great luck with KT Tape. I have had horrible shin splints for years. I could barely run, and often ended up in pain. A friend recommended I try KT Tape. After using it for about a month, my shin splints are mostly gone. I can run short distances without the tape (although for doing agility work or any long distances or jumping rope, I'm still applying the tape.)

I have been using the Pro tape because I sweat a lot. I apply it with a hair dryer to make sure it gets warm enough to stick. It will stay on 5-7 days on my legs, although I do occasionally have to trim the edges if it starts to lift.

I did have a problem with some pieces having adhesive at the very edge being dried out and not sticking. I wrote their customer service an email and they sent me a free roll of tape.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've purchased and used KT Tape for about 1.5 years now. I've had mixed results when taped in different areas. However, I do feel remarkably better on my knees upon using them. I used to have bad knees from INSANITY workout and I had to rest for 8-9 months. Chopats did not do much to alleviate my pain. However, one friend of mine recommended KT Tape and after my first use, I was hooked completely. It felt so good and I did not feel painful at my knees at all.

Since then, I've started purchasing more and more KT Tape and I had used it on my neck, shoulder, ankle, back, knees, etc. Some of them failed to impress me but the ones on my knees and ankles definitely helped me feel much better. I heard KT Tape Pro is better than KT Tape but I've not used it.

The only complain I have about KT Tape is how easy it peels off. I always have to tape the edges with regular athletic tape to prevent KT Tape from peeling off halfway through my training. The rest are all gooooooooood!
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used it on my arm when I gave myself a repetitive movement injury. I did feel better after using it. Like others have said, I don't know if I would use it in place of a knee brace, but it fit my purposes just fine.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a soleus muscle strain and didn't really notice any difference. Other people I have talked to used it and said it worked for them.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    Never used it myself, but my daughter has been in physical therapy since she was born and her therapist tapes her occasionally. It was really helpful for her torticollis (neck tilt to one side because muscles are underdeveloped on that side.) It helped her hold her head up and the results lasted after the tape was removed.
  • calvinkim313
    Options
    Hello all. I have used the KTTape and I would never use it ever again. The glue they use to manufacture the product is way too strong and extremely hard to get rid of. It also doesn't seem to really help.. 1 being useless and 10 being works great I would give it a 2 or 3. I am allergy free person but after taking the tape off, first is was very painful and second my skin became very red and stayed red for a couple of days even though I took them off while in hot shower. The glue residue sticks to your skin and even after taking the KTTape off you have to spend some good time taking all the glue off of your skin. Would not recommand this product to any one.
  • LeslieT83
    LeslieT83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I thought KT tape really helped with a severe, severe calf strain (tear?). My PT put it on and it stayed for 5-6 days, through showers and everything.

Getting all the glue off was tough. I used Pam cooking spray, but I think any sort of oil would help!
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love KT Tape, especially KT Tape Pro (since I can wear it a few days in the shower). It seems to help support my sore muscles. I've used it for foot and ankle sprains, mostly and on my knee. My husband also uses it. I've never had the problem with the glue, fortunately.
  • stitch1962
    stitch1962 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought some to replace the vastly superior tape I was given by my PTs runs out. Granted, I had it for a year after I bought it before I tried to use it, but still. The adhesive did not work at all. It rolled right off immediately after application, and I was careful to not have lotion etc. on my skin. Will stick to what my PT gave me,
  • copperchick010
    Options
    I'm using it currently. It does add support for sore joints. I'm not sure about the glue comment earlier though. I find it could be stickier. It doesn't stick to itself very well and it peeled off in my sleep. The one I have definitely would not make it through a shower. I wish it would though because as someone else mentioned, it's expensive. Maybe mine's not the "Pro" version. I'll have to check the packaging.
  • RavenNevermore15
    RavenNevermore15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used it with my physical therapists when I was in PT for my left knee. This stuff is truly amazing. However, only when you apply it properly. https://www.kttape.com/ has a lot of videos on how to apply properly. A small side note, make sure you don't have adhesive allergies. My skin had a rashy reaction to the tape my PT's used on me, but I also have very sensitive skin. The stuff is wonderful.