'the free weight room? no, that's where the men do weights.'

Options
glovepuppet
glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
said to me by the lady at the gym when i went to book an induction.
this is the lady who will be doing my induction.
though they obviously have all the cool toys there,
it's kinda reenforced all my motivations for only having done weights at home.

so, ladies, how heavy are you lifting? outa curiosity.

Replies

• yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    as heavy as possible.

i'd look into a different gym.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    said to me by the lady at the gym when i went to book an induction.
    this is the lady who will be doing my induction.
    though they obviously have all the cool toys there,
    it's kinda reenforced all my motivations for only having done weights at home.

so, ladies, how heavy are you lifting? outa curiosity.

Wait.

So the woman who is showing you the gym told you this? That's bull!!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    I would look for a different gym, this is simply not a good way to start.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    as heavy as possible.

i'd look into a different gym.

This is good advice here.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You might consider setting this lady straight if you have a vested interest in staying at this gym. Or invest in your own weights. No reason to stay at a place where the culture is clearly set against your achieving your lifting goals.

I also lift as heavy as I can.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    quite right it is the mens room ....

You women never tidy up and put the weights away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    yeah, i know right?

but my youngest does an hour of karate there twice a week , so i'm sat there waiting.
    and it's the toys, not the twerps that interest me. i've only got so much space at home.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would have taken offense to that. My gym has a women's area but I choose to go workout with the big boys because they offer a better selection of weights and benches. Screw that lady!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I would look for a different gym, this is simply not a good way to start.

I would have stopped in my tracks and demanded to see the manager. And then I would have been a total b.

There are just as many women as men at my gym in the free weights section and I couldnt imagine anyone telling them free weights are for the men.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Is she the manager? Agree with the others find another place or ignore her and join in.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The weights room in my gym is 95% male. It IS pretty intimidating, but I tell myself - maybe if more women like me begin to use it, other women will be more encouraged to use it too. Got to start changing the perception somewhere, y'know?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lift heavy at home in my present place--I don't have the space for a squat rack, bench, barbell and a bunch of weights. If you do, that's great--no reason to sign up for a gym membership if you've got all the equipment and space at home. If you need a gym, find a different one. That woman's attitude is backwards and a really poor way to start off with a new client, and if that's typical of the people who work at the gym, you've only got more of the same to look forward to in the future.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The weights room in my gym is 95% male. It IS pretty intimidating, but I tell myself - maybe if more women like me begin to use it, other women will be more encouraged to use it too. Got to start changing the perception somewhere, y'know?

Totally agree. The very first time I used that section was with a personal trainer. And I was confused like, "wait - women can come here?" lol So embarrassed to have even thought that way.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    said to me by the lady at the gym when i went to book an induction. this is the lady who will be doing my induction.

Are they going to stop you from going in? (You know, like the "women's room", or a "women's gym", where men really are not allowed.)

If no... then why does her opinion matter?

If yes... then take your business elsewhere.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clearly I must be a man according to that...person

3886b378cc768db8b8bb7ae78cb26aab.gif
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    forget that lady! your paying membership there, train wherever you freakin want. and if you know what your doing in there, have good form and everything those gym wont give a crap.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    95% of my weight lifting routine is done in the weight room...machines are weak.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Douche bag thing for a member of staff to say, but sadly it's generally true. It usually is where the men work out. Certainly doesn't mean it should be off limits for the ladies though. Don't be put off. The first couple of times using a male dominated weight room are a bit nervy, finding the places for everything but after that it shouldn't be too bad. You as a female, have every right to be in there using the same equipment the men use.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yeah, i know right?

but my youngest does an hour of karate there twice a week , so i'm sat there waiting.
    and it's the toys, not the twerps that interest me. i've only got so much space at home.

It seems like you're invested in this gym because of your son. Do you have any reason to interact with this woman? If not, I wouldn't let her idiocy put you off of a great lifting opportunity. My wife would've laughed and said, "good one, now show me the free weight room."

If the equipment is adequate, I'd go. I'm sure you don't care about my lifts, so here are my wife's:
    Bench: 75
    Rows: 60
    Squat: 145
    Deadlift: 165
    Power Clean: 75
    Dumbbell Military Press: 25 each
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Is she the manager? Agree with the others find another place or ignore her and join in.
    that's my plan. when she dos my induction i'll ask to see the bits i want to use.

she said ''they only have 10kg and upwards in there!'' and i thought, i lift 11 stone grannies at work!