'the free weight room? no, that's where the men do weights.'

Options

Replies

• faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
    The weights room in my gym is 95% male. It IS pretty intimidating, but I tell myself - maybe if more women like me begin to use it, other women will be more encouraged to use it too. Got to start changing the perception somewhere, y'know?

This is my thought too! Be the inspiration for other girls to start lifting & stop being afraid of the big bad men at the squat rack. Go in, kick some *kitten*, and prove to her that girls can lift heavy too!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Clearly I must be a man according to that...person

3886b378cc768db8b8bb7ae78cb26aab.gif

If you are then clearly I need to reevaluate some things about myself.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    as heavy as possible.

i'd look into a different gym.

Best answer!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you are then clearly I need to reevaluate some things about myself.
    :laugh:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    quite right it is the mens room ....

You women never tidy up and put the weights away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, where I work out..the men always leave everything loaded to the hilt. I have to take off enough where I can lift. I always put them up when I am finished.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I'm the only woman in the free weights section. I'm used to it now, and actually kind of like it that way. :smile: Forget that woman, and do your thing! If you need to figure out what you're doing with the free weights, do some reading (New Rules of Lifting is good) or watch some Mark Rippetoe videos on You Tube first.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    just maybe she was trying to say it like you don't want to be around with all those men thinking you might be uncomfortable maybe the guys would hit on you or something just a thought maybe you might have taken it the wrong way.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    that's my plan. when she dos my induction i'll ask to see the bits i want to use.
    ha. you should wear a pink tutu for your induction and even if you know how to use something, make her show you every single piece of equipment in that room.....twice.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yep. I love it when pride tells me I can do it and I end up with the weight stuck on my chest. Well, it's only happened to me twice at the gym. I just casually called over the nearest "dude" to come help me :glasses:

Sounds like you need to go to a "better" gym with more knowledgeable staff.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    She should not work at a gym. Just saying.
    Men's section indeed. I used to get stares going in that section and I was much fatter then!
    But I'd just put on my music and do whatever I wanted. Now I get nods.
    DO YOU! Do they pay more than you?
    And the men are the ones who never rerack things. Haha!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Eh. All the females who work at my gym are cardio class instructors and absolutely tiny. Doesn't interfere with my lifting at all.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    quite right it is the mens room ....

You women never tidy up and put the weights away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never really thought it about it before, but actually you are right. It's either the crazy ADHD "I dont know what I'm doing so I'll do 11 exercises at once" guys that leave weights strewn across the floor...or women. Gender role reversal ehh. At least at every gym I've ever been to. Your results may vary.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    well that is pretty amazing foot-in-mouth speech.

it honestly does not intimidate me going in there. I feel like men do two things when a woman enters a.) they won't even look at her for fear they'll be caught 'checking her out' b.) they get a little flustered and mucho it up in case they are being looked at. :) maybe I'm wrong, but that's at least what I tell myself!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    well that is pretty amazing foot-in-mouth speech.

it honestly does not intimidate me going in there. I feel like men do two things when a woman enters a.) they won't even look at her for fear they'll be caught 'checking her out' b.) they get a little flustered and mucho it up in case they are being looked at. :) maybe I'm wrong, but that's at least what I tell myself!

no you are right. except there is also part C) stare and creep relentlessly. That's usually the best option
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    :noway: I wouldn't let her win so easily, If she isn't the manager then find the manager and tell them what happened. Are you absolutely not allowed in that area?

Sometimes bringing **** up to higher authority rewards you discounts and freebies. hehehe:bigsmile:

I don't know, or you could just Find a different gym. I know it's not always convenient though for some. :happy:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The free weights area of my corporate gym is usually about 80% male, and in fact I was IN the squat rack and a friend of mine (male) eyed me and said "You don't want to mess with those." Which I thought was....interesting.

OP-if your son is in karate at the same gym, I can totally understand wanting to stick with that gym and not go to a different one. When the manager does her introduction, you should pepper her with questions that show that you are educated and that you KNOW you can easily find your way around the free weight area. It doesn't seem like the problem is that you are prohibited from using the free weight area, but rather you may not get the administrative support you need to get starting using the equipment.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    the only girls who lift at my gym are ripped and look like fitness models... i think its cuz its a 10 dollar gym and its packed with ripped HS football players.... I'd bet that most cheap gyms have less women lifting due to being intimidated by the swarms of young ripped guys... Kinda sad if ya ask me...

I say do it.. even if you're the only one. youll be an inspiration to overweight people, ectomorphs, skinny fat individuals, and everyone else who feel intimidated to lift.... and you better believe that all the ripped guys will be proud of you if you stick it out and get to some decent numbers..
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    that's my plan. when she dos my induction i'll ask to see the bits i want to use.
    ha. you should wear a pink tutu for your induction and even if you know how to use something, make her show you every single piece of equipment in that room.....twice.
    I love you. Seriously.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Ask her where the asians, blacks, and mexicans workout... When she give you a quizzical look, just say, "I was just seeing if you were both sexist AND racist"...
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Is she the manager? Agree with the others find another place or ignore her and join in.

she said ''they only have 10kg and upwards in there!'' and i thought, i lift 11 stone grannies at work!

They don't have a single 6 or 8 kg dumbbell? I guess no one in there ever started doing lat raises or rear delt flies with proper form, or else your gym is full of giants who bestride the earth with their massive secondary muscles...