greek yogurt vs. original

Options
mcgeorge5
mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
Explain to me why everyone specifically suggests greek yogurt and not just 'yogurt'? I've never tried greek yogurt but I love my Activia every morning.

TIA

Replies

• blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I think it's because greek yogurt has more protein by volume. Other than that, eat what you like. I prefer regular Darigold yogurt myself, although I do enjoy me some greek yogurt now and then.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I prefer greek yogurt because of the amount of protein.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yup. Another way to say it is more protein per calorie. A lot of people also prefer the creamier texture. It's also a little less tangy. I happen to like both.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Regular yogurt tends to be loaded with sugar!!! Sometimes more than ice cream or soda. With greek yogurt, you get high protein and low sugar...so it's healthier!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    less carbs too much healthier
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A lot more protein, often double or more, so more filling, plus it is thicker and can be a good alternative to cream on fruit, or be mixed with lots of things to make a filling, high protein dessert or breakfast.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Explain to me why everyone specifically suggests greek yogurt and not just 'yogurt'?

Greek-Style yogurt has some liquid whey removed from the finished yogurt. Since the whey is mostly Sugar water (plus a bit of protein, sodium, and a significant amount of calcium) it increases the ratio of other nutrients (including protein) to volume.

3 cups of Greek-Style yogurt is roughly equivalent to 4 cups of "normal" yogurt, but with 13 grams of lactose and some water removed. That leaves you higher Protein:Carb ratio, something many people are after for various reasons.

Me, I prefer it for the taste!

EDIT: For more details on what is lost in the whey, do a database search for "Generic - Liquid Whey From Fat Free Yogurt Making" or I posted some detailed info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013648-makin-yogurt?hl=makin'+yogurt
  • jsd_135
    Options
    Regular yogurt tends to be loaded with sugar!!! Sometimes more than ice cream or soda. With greek yogurt, you get high protein and low sugar...so it's healthier!

Assuming we're talking about unsweetened plain yogurt, it's not "loaded" with sugar. It does have a higher sugar content than Greek, because much of the naturally occurring sugars in the milk are strained out in Greek yogurt. Yogurt, whether Greek or regular, can only be loaded with sugar if they've been sweetened with something. Just an FYI, because I see this a lot.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Lol, Greek Yogurt is just a market trend right now. I like it better than the regular because it's not as watery. All Greek yogurt is just a 2nd whey draining. I am sure the big companies are making more money by having us switch to Greek, they can keep the drainage and use it in something. I plan to make some one time. :)

Basically, if you take the regular kind and let it sit in the fridge in a mesh strainer, you will have Greek Yogurt.

Another thing is traditionally, Greek Yogurt was not made from the milk of the cow, but of the sheep. I don't think it's that way with Greek Yogurt in America though.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Another thing is traditionally, Greek Yogurt was not made from the milk of the cow, but of the sheep. I don't think it's that way with Greek Yogurt in America though.
    You are mostly correct. "Greek Yogurt" comes not only from sheep's milk, but GREEK SHEEP. What we mostly have in the USA is "Greek-Style Yogurt" which is drained of extra whey like the true Greek Yogurt is. Greek-Style is usually made with (cheaper) cow's milk, but can be made with goat, sheep, or even non-milk "milks" (soy, almond, rice, etc.). But due to the removal of extra lactose, many people who are lactose intolerant find that they CAN eat Greek-Style yogurt....

YMMV

PS: The "Makin' Yogurt" thread I linked above has ample descriptions of various (simple, no special equipment needed) ways to make yogurt. Give it a try!
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for explaining it to me!
  • jsd_135
    Options
    Lol, Greek Yogurt is just a market trend right now. I like it better than the regular because it's not as watery. All Greek yogurt is just a 2nd whey draining. I am sure the big companies are making more money by having us switch to Greek, they can keep the drainage and use it in something. I plan to make some one time. :)

Basically, if you take the regular kind and let it sit in the fridge in a mesh strainer, you will have Greek Yogurt.

I make my own Greek yogurt, from cow's milk. I'd like to find some sheep's milk to try this out.

Regarding the whey: Someone posted an article recently about how Greek yogurt producers are actually a bit overburdened by all the whey. They can't just dump it (good thing), but there's apparently not a huge marked for yogurt whey. Apparently the whey protein isolate found in protein powders comes from cheese-making, not yogurt making. I've been watering my roses with my yogurt whey (50-50 water/whey mix) about once a week, and they're doing great. I'm trying to figure out how else to use it in my garden.
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also use it in place of pretty much everything. Mayo in salads, cream in pasta sauces, even milk and cereal. I use plain and mix it with nutella or peanut butter and omg its so good. Try going on pinterest and typing in Greek Yogurt and they will show you all the ways it can be used.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Activia is overpriced and overrated. NEWS FLASH: Most yogurt brands with live active cultures contains bifidus cultures; which is what they tout as being so great about their product. Plain yogurt, greek or otherwise is much better for you; if you need ir sweeter then add som fresh bruit of a teaspoon of honey.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options

To make your own Greek Yogurt just hang regular yogurt in cheese cloth until the liquid drains. Sooooooo not necessarily lower in sugar.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's not just the protein - it's the active probiotics that are so good for you. Regular yogurt doesn't usually have as many as greek.

Oh and btw I tried an activia recently out of desperation and it was REVOLTING how sweet it was. BLAHH 29 fricking Grams?? Not worth it... I would rather eat a candy bar If I am going to eat that much sugar!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    High protein content, particularly in the fat free varieties. As others have said , a lot of your regular yogurts have loads of sugar and additives, a greek yogurt like Total (fage) has nothing added in.

So damn expensive though!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    it's not just the protein - it's the active probiotics that are so good for you. Regular yogurt doesn't usually have as many as greek.

Oh and btw I tried an activia recently out of desperation and it was REVOLTING how sweet it was. BLAHH 29 fricking Grams?? Not worth it... I would rather eat a candy bar If I am going to eat that much sugar!

I have to agree, I can't understand all these sugary products that are marketed as being "healthy". Would prefer a Cadbury Freddo any day!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention it, I pinned a "how to make your own greek yogurt" thing today. The difference is how much whey is in it basically. If you mix the whey in, it's Yogurt. If you don't, it's greek yogurt.

http://pinterest.com/pin/288652657337395558/
  • misschip1983
    misschip1983 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt I have it every morning with a spoon ful of honey. seems to be making me feel less bloated :)