Best time to workout for night shifters

Options
Hi, just need your suggestion on how you fit in exercises when you work at night? What is the best time to do work out if you're working night shift? I just work at home, but there are times. that I'm getting lazy doing some workouts, since I'm almost awake most of the time. Doing workout during my shift is a no-no. I'm just scared that I might not be doing myself a favor doing heavy workouts with little sleep. I'm into Turbofire and Hiphop Abs, just starting my 2nd week, My energy doesn't seem to keep up with the HIIT workouts at time. I'm not really sure if it's due to lack of sleep or maybe I'm eating less calories,since I still follow MFP's calorie allowance. I still eat during normal hours of the day. I mean, I eat my 3 meals, and sometimes ,snacks in between during daytime, and just take on grapes or apple when hunger strikes when I'm working at night. Is there a need for me shift my eating hours during night time? My shift at work is from 10PM-6AM. Please let me know , what is the best thing to do, to get the most of
what I can do have a better and healthy life. Thanks... I'm quite new here, don't have friends, hope you can add me. Thanks!

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    I used to work nights, I exercised right after work.

I did 12AM-8AM, 9AM box class (Crossfit) 4 days a week. It was only an hour, so it wasn't too bad.

If you are following MFP calorie allowance you need to change it - it calculates very low. I use TDEE method, then depending on how fast you want to lose, do -20%, -15%, etc

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I no longer crossfit because of medical issues, and now I work days because of medical issues as well, but I still try and get most of my exercise done after work.

ETA: I'm not trying to be short just running out the door after work - you can add me if you'd like, I eat 1450 daily and upping it as I'm getting close to goal. Maybe you'll have more energy with TDEE! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when you'll do it.

I would do it after my shift. YMMV.
  • jbyap24
    jbyap24 Posts: 35
    Options
    I used to work nights, I exercised right after work.

I did 12AM-8AM, 9AM box class (Crossfit) 4 days a week. It was only an hour, so it wasn't too bad.

If you are following MFP calorie allowance you need to change it - it calculates very low. I use TDEE method, then depending on how fast you want to lose, do -20%, -15%, etc

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I no longer crossfit because of medical issues, and now I work days because of medical issues as well, but I still try and get most of my exercise done after work.

ETA: I'm not trying to be short just running out the door after work - you can add me if you'd like, I eat 1450 daily and upping it as I'm getting close to goal. Maybe you'll have more energy with TDEE! :)

Great!..Thanks a lot for the suggestion ..I would definitely try this... Because what I do now is try to sleep after work (8AM),then wake up for lunch time (12NN-1PM), tback to sleep at 2 PM. Then wake up at 4 or 5pm to do workout.. The sleep again , to wake up for the 10PM shift. This isn;t good right? In between those time I'm awake, are my meal times too. Maybe doing a different routine, like what you suggested is a good idea. :)
  • jbyap24
    Options
    yes, I might need to do work-out after my shift then,. Just one question , should it give me much energy that I might not be able to sleep ? :)
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yes, I might need to do work-out after my shift then,. Just one question , should it give me much energy that I might not be able to sleep ? :)

When I worked nights I did it right after my shift. I usually went to sleep not to long after, so I'd say it would depend on how hard you workout and when you goto sleep normally.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention when you sleep. That's kind of important.

If I were you, I would do it around 5 to 7 pm, if you are up then. This is assuming that you've been up for a while by that point, if you go to bed around 7 am (as a lot of graveyard shifters would on your schedule).

Have a look at this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/moving-to-morning-training-qa.html

It doesn't directly address your issue but discusses some interesting stuff related to exercise timing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

As an on-and-off insomniac, I wouldn't. Strenuous activity right before sleeping is not good sleep hygiene. YMMV. (And see my earlier post.)
  • jbyap24
    Options
    You didn't mention when you sleep. That's kind of important.

If I were you, I would do it around 5 to 7 pm, if you are up then. This is assuming that you've been up for a while by that point, if you go to bed around 7 am (as a lot of graveyard shifters would on your schedule).

Have a look at this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/moving-to-morning-training-qa.html

It doesn't directly address your issue but discusses some interesting stuff related to exercise timing.

Thanks. Checking on the link. I might need to consider other factors too. Really appreciate your help :)
  • ashleykawalek
    ashleykawalek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work night shift 6pm-6am and in between sleeping, cleaning house, runnin errands, and more I do my best to work in a work out. Sometimes I do when I get off and sometimes it's when I wake up. You just need to figure out what time is best for you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I worked 6 p.m. to 6a.m, I would go to the gym when I woke up, about 2 p.m. I loved that! Gym pretty empty, still plenty of time to eat and get ready for work.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good questions! I work in healthcare and have been on second for the past three years plus. I'm just starting a new job and am having to make the switch to third. After having put quite a bit of thought into it, I figured my schedule to be this: Sleep 10 am. to 6p.m. --> Run/bike/swim/gym --> Work 11p.m. to 7:30 p.m. --> Yoga and reading before bed.

I want to get my heavy cardio in before work for a couple of reasons; I will start work in a better mood, I still got it in even if I get mandated and have to work over, and it will not contribute to keeping me up as it might after work. As far as eating goes, I will have breakfast before work, after workout, main meal will be lunch at work, light meal after work.

This is what I have figured is best for me. Hopefully it will give you a few ideas. Your sleep schedule sounds like it could use some improvement. I have struggled with sleep for most of my adult life and understand how important solid, uninterrupted sleep is to both your physical and mental well being, but also appreciate how difficult it is to achieve that. Is there a reason you would have to wake up to eat or is that just what your body is naturally doing? Reminds me of a pattern I fell into while doing swing shifts and ended with less than desirable results.

I'll add you as a friend and maybe we can figure this out together! Good luck!
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I work 11 p.m. to 7:30 a.m, not p.m.!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my schedule goes back and forth between nights and days. i'll 3-4 days shifts, have 2-3 days off, and work 3-4 night shifts, 3-4 days off, etc. when i work night shifts i rarely work out. i'll work out the morning of the first night shift (before i go in), and i'll work out the morning immediately after my last night shift. i find that it usually helps me recover and flip my internal clock back to normal.

when i am so inclined to work out while on night shifts, it's always after i wake up and have some coffee.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I work 5:30 pm to 6am six days a week, and I am personally not a morning person. I usually try to get my Insanity done as soon as I get off shift. The gym isn't open at that time, so I usually just go to the tennis court and do my workout there with my laptop to play the dvds. I personally prefer that to waking up early, but I know other guys that I work with who do the opposite. It's all a matter of personal preference.
  • MarshmallowLegs
    MarshmallowLegs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get off work at 3am, sometimes 5am.... I work out when I wake up, around 1pm. I can't do it after work because then I can't fall asleep.
  • Blessedlady41
    Blessedlady41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been working nights for 9yrs, but since Ive been on fitness pal, I have started working out around 3 clock for a hour or so. Then I head to bed around 6pm for work that night.. Its been working really good an I don't feel rushed through my workout.. I tried the morning workouts after work, just don't have any energy toooo sleepy.. But once I get the sleep on Im ready to roll to the gym.. Gd luck
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just started working nights, 6p to 6a this month. I go to sleep about 7am after getting home and relaxing for a few. I sleep from 7a to about 2p, or whenever I wake up naturally. I'm doing a mix of P90X and running, and I work out when I wake up, usually around 3p or 330p depending on if I'm feeling like breakfast. Working out first thing in the "morning" (or my afternoon, actually) seems to work best for me because it gets me up and moving, and I don't lose workout performance from being tired after a 12 hour shift. I've got noticeably more energy than I had just six weeks ago, rarely get tired in the wee hours of the morning at work, and sleep like a rock. I work a strange rotating shift, and even on my nights off I keep my schedule and work out at the same times and it's been working great for me.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Work out whenever you like.........unless you are a pro athlete or bodybuilder
    your work out time will not matter.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's an individual thing. Try it and see. I worked nights for the better part of 30 years and my favorite time to workout was right when I got off work in the morning at 5 am - I'd head straight to the gym, get my workout done and go home. Never had a problem with it keeping me awake - a nice hot shower when I got home and I was out like a light. Sure, I was often tired at the end of shift and didn't really feel like working out, but once I got into the gym I got motivated and always had a good workout. Other guys I worked with hated doing it after work - you couldn't drag them to the gym after shift.

I tried working out in the afternoon after I woke up, but it was too easy to make excuses (I've got other things to do, don't want to fight traffic driving all the way across town to the gym, etc.). I was more consistent when I got it done in the morning and had it out of the way for the rest of the day.
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi, I also work at night and work from home and the 2 factors contributed to my 35 lbs weight gain in the last 3 years... I just fell into a rut and started living in my PJs and track pants since no one will ever see me. My biggest problem is eating at the right time and wanting to eat the right food at 3 AM.
    I tried exercising after my shift ( I work midnight to 830AM) but I felt so sluggish then I had a hard time sleeping. The best time to exercise for me is right after I wake up which is around 6- 7 pm. It still really challenging because I don't sleep when I'm supposed to... there are times when it's already 2 PM and I'm still awake wishing that the neighbor would stop mowing his lawn and the other neighbor would stop his dog from barking and that people would stop ringing my doorbell. Anyway, I found several articles on how to lose weight working night shifts on Livestrong.com if you want to check it out.