Have questions regarding sodium & sugar quota

Options
I've just started tracking here about 2 weeks ago. I never paid much attention to the sodium and sugar but I have a quota of 2500 sodium and 24 sugar. I'm always under my sodium but to be up to what this suggests I'd almost have to eat it by the spoonful. On the other hand, I can hit my sugar limit by eating a cup of grapes for breakfast! Anybody have opinions or thoughts on this? I just don't understand. Thanks much for chiming in on the discussion!

Replies

• Celeste_Monique
    Options
    The World Health Organization recommends that you limit your intake of added sugars to no more than 10% of your calories. If you’re an average-sized adult, ten percent of your calories is around 50 grams of sugar, or the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. What counts? Added sugars refers to any sugar (natural or otherwise) that you use in your own cooking or add at the table as well as sugar that’s been added to packaged and processed foods and beverages that you consume. It doesn’t include sugar that is naturally present in fruits, dairy products, and other whole foods.
  • DahliaBanker
    DahliaBanker Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. If that's the case, then why does myfitnesspal tracking add the sugar for grapes then? My calorie quota per day is 1200 and they say I should have no more than 24 mgs of sugar. 10% would be 120? I'm still confused.
  • tinarn1120
    Options
    same thing here. ate two peaches and a banana, and went way over my sugar intake. I guess it doesn't automatically differentiate between natural and added sugars.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    same thing here. ate two peaches and a banana, and went way over my sugar intake. I guess it doesn't automatically differentiate between natural and added sugars.

THIS is why I only "count" processed sugars. At the end of the day, If I'm concerned, I subtract all the natural sugars and am left with the amt of sugar I ate :)
  • DahliaBanker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it very much!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was told MFP counts natural sugar and added by dietician and she said you only need to count added which for me is minimal I get most of sugar from fruits so I was told not to worry about it since I am not diabetic. All of the numbers are general and you have to adapt to your own health needs and you can go in and change them. I had to because of metabolism being to fast. I was told base should e 1550 but with Dietician monitoring we had to raise it to 2,000 so I wouldn't loose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. If that's the case, then why does myfitnesspal tracking add the sugar for grapes then? My calorie quota per day is 1200 and they say I should have no more than 24 mgs of sugar. 10% would be 120? I'm still confused.

It doesn't differentiate between added sugar and sugar from fruits and whatnot...the programming and coding for that would be crazy.
  • DahliaBanker
    Options
    I was told MFP counts natural sugar and added by dietician and she said you only need to count added which for me is minimal I get most of sugar from fruits so I was told not to worry about it since I am not diabetic. All of the numbers are general and you have to adapt to your own health needs and you can go in and change them. I had to because of metabolism being to fast. I was told base should e 1550 but with Dietician monitoring we had to raise it to 2,000 so I wouldn't loose.
    [/quote

I'll take your quicker metabolism! LOL Thanks for the input.